gold country dual sport ride

DSN_KLR650
The Mule

boots

Post by The Mule » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:59 pm

I went with Hi-Points.........because I'm a retro fashion whore I s'pose. They're made by Alpinestars, and I just love how the metal platage matches the Icon Titanium plated Timax gloves. ROCK-ON!!! Anywho.......there are two philosophies I've heard about riding soles. One says flatter soles are safer, as it slides over terrain if you stick your foot out and is less likely to catch on a root, rock, half-buried skull, whatever.... and snap yer foot-ankle-leg (pick yer choice). The other sez ya need traction to push outta trouble and stomp around in the woods, etc. Guess it depends on how much dirt/mud walking/dragging you expect to do. My Hi-Points have a relatively flat sole and I have no complaints. They're greasy over the rough stuff when I stick my stumps out, and I just dig my heels in if I need leverage yanking the bike out of quicksand or ambulating up 'n down God's steep unpaved creation. So are you a flat-soler, waffle-stomper or a flip-flopper? Come Nov. 4th, which Bone do you wanna pick? The Skull & Bones candidate or the Skull & Bones candidate? (rhetorical query.....no need to reply!) Steve The Mule A17
> Hi All > > I need to get a pair of motorcycle boots soon. I wear > a size 14 shoe. It looks like AlpineStar Tech 4's will > work, but I have the option to get either motocross > sole or an all terrain enduro sole. Which is the best > for general dualsport riding on the back roads of > Baja, Death Valley, etc. > > Is there another boot I should be looking at? > > TIA > > Randy from Burbank

Randall Marbach

boots

Post by Randall Marbach » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:11 pm

Hi Mule This flat sole sliding versus digging in issue is one of my key concerns about which sole to choose. I have no dirt experience to speak of and at age 53. I am not sure that I want to be able to hot shoe it around a motocross track. However, I am taking my first dirt bike riding lessons this weekend and I am planning to rent all the gear from the school, so this should give me an oppurtunity to get some first hand experience with a set of off road motorcycle boots. But from what I have seen from all the great posts so far, it looks like the choice will be between the Alpinestar Tech 4s (not sure which sole yet) and the Aerostitch Combat Touring boots. Can anybody tell me what the pros and cons of these two pair of boots are with regard to the relative safety in the dirt. Assuming they are comparable, I am leaning towards the Aerostitch boots. TIA Randy --- The Mule wrote:
> I went with Hi-Points.........because I'm a > retro fashion whore I > s'pose. They're made by Alpinestars, and I just love > how the metal platage > matches the Icon Titanium plated Timax gloves. > ROCK-ON!!! > > Anywho.......there are two philosophies I've > heard about riding soles. > One says flatter soles are safer, as it slides over > terrain if you stick > your foot out and is less likely to catch on a root, > rock, half-buried > skull, whatever.... and snap yer foot-ankle-leg > (pick yer choice). The other > sez ya need traction to push outta trouble and stomp > around in the woods, > etc. Guess it depends on how much dirt/mud > walking/dragging you expect to > do. My Hi-Points have a relatively flat sole and I > have no complaints. > They're greasy over the rough stuff when I stick my > stumps out, and I just > dig my heels in if I need leverage yanking the bike > out of quicksand or > ambulating up 'n down God's steep unpaved creation. > > So are you a flat-soler, waffle-stomper or a > flip-flopper? > Come Nov. 4th, which Bone do you wanna pick? The > Skull & Bones candidate or > the Skull & Bones candidate? > (rhetorical query.....no need to reply!) > > > Steve > The Mule > A17 > > > > Hi All > > > > I need to get a pair of motorcycle boots soon. I > wear > > a size 14 shoe. It looks like AlpineStar Tech 4's > will > > work, but I have the option to get either > motocross > > sole or an all terrain enduro sole. Which is the > best > > for general dualsport riding on the back roads of > > Baja, Death Valley, etc. > > > > Is there another boot I should be looking at? > > > > TIA > > > > Randy from Burbank > >
_______________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today! http://vote.yahoo.com

Randall Marbach

boots

Post by Randall Marbach » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:04 pm

Hi BFGB.. What brand of armored dualsport boots to you have/recommend. I expect that I will be spending most of my time in dual sport mode and I haven't been able to identify a boot that would be good in this role. TIA Randy from Burbank --- bigfatgreenbike wrote: --------------------------------- remarbach@... wrote: Hi MuleThis flat sole sliding versus digging in issue is oneof my key concerns about which sole to choose. I haveno dirt experience to speak of and at age 53. I am notsure that I want to be able to hot shoe it around amotocross track. However, I am taking my first dirtbike riding lessons this weekend and I am planning torent all the gear from the school, so this should giveme an oppurtunity to get some first hand experiencewith a set of off road motorcycle boots.But from what I have seen from all the great posts sofar, it looks like the choice will be between theAlpinestar Tech 4s (not sure which sole yet) and theAerostitch Combat Touring boots. Can anybody tell mewhat the pros and cons of these two pair of boots arewith regard to the relative safety in the dirt.Assuming they are comparable, I am leaning towards theAerostitch boots. It depends on what kind of riding you are buying for. The aerostich"combat touring boots" are touring boots- riding a bike around onroads, paved and unpaved, and some walking. They are not offroad ridingboots, as my buddy who broke his ankle wearing them can attest to. Aserious MX boot may have prevented his injury. A serious MX boot is somewhat easier to walk around in than ski boots.Somewhere in the middle are armored, waterproof-liner, breatheabledualsport boots. The alpinestars might be better as the combat touringboots have no integral armour. My dualsport and MX boots have an almost flat sole. Works great. I havea pair of chippewa laceup boots with a thick heel, they also workgreat. Devon _______________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today! http://vote.yahoo.com

Randall Marbach

boots

Post by Randall Marbach » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:10 am

I believe that Sidi is the company that makes the Aerostitch Combat Touring Boots. I wonder how they compare to your BMW boots? --- bigfatgreenbike wrote: --------------------------------- remarbach@... wrote: Hi BFGB..What brand of armored dualsport boots to youhave/recommend. I expect that I will be spending mostof my time in dual sport mode and I haven't been ableto identify a boot that would be good in this role. I have a set of these BMW brand calf-high boots, with some simple hardplates sewn inside the leather to prevent breaking the little bone thatsticks out of your ankle, and also to protect the shins. They'regore-tex lined and have so far been unbelievably waterproof. The onlyreason I got the BMW boots, was the shop owner said he'd give me arefund if they leaked. They're actually made by some Italian company(probably Sidi?) and then they sew on a little tiny BMW emblem whichadds $100 to the price. These are the lightest boots I'd consider,they have a velcro flap and two buckles for a closure. I think they'recalled the "Kalihari" boots. When the time comes to replace them I planto save myself $100 by finding similar boots from whoever makes themfor BMW in the first place. Basically imagine dropping a motorcycle on your ankle. One layer ofleather won't really help. Sidi makes waterproof-lined MX boots, whichwould be the best protection but not fun to walk in. I would suggestgoing to a shop that stocks a bunch of different boots, and see whichones have a waterproof liner and armour. The BMW boots are now 3 yearsand 35,000m old. No complaints besides the initial gouging. Devon _______________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today! http://vote.yahoo.com

Judson D. Jones

boots

Post by Judson D. Jones » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:49 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Randall Marbach wrote:
> > But from what I have seen from all the great posts so > far, it looks like the choice will be between the > Alpinestar Tech 4s (not sure which sole yet) and the > Aerostitch Combat Touring boots. Can anybody tell me > what the pros and cons of these two pair of boots are > with regard to the relative safety in the dirt. > Assuming they are comparable, I am leaning towards the > Aerostitch boots. >
I have had the Combat Touring boots for about 11 years, and bought a pair of Tech 6s this year. (Tech 4s would have been fine, but I got a super deal on "last year's" Tech 6s. So I'm out of style. Laugh all you want.) The Aerostich boots have worked fine, and I still wear them for many conditions. But I have decided that I want more armor for riding in rocks. The Aerostich are more comfortable for everyday riding, but the Alpine Stars aren't bad, and I haven't got them fully broken in. Because I have worn my Aerostich boots primarily off-road, They haven't needed soles yet, but lots of guys have replaced the mx soles with Vibram lugs.

Devon

boots

Post by Devon » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:01 am

AFAIK the combat touring boots have no armor in them and do not have a waterproof liner. The BMW boots have some very basic armor, and are waterproof. Worksmanship seems top-shelf on both. Devon remarbach@... wrote:
>I believe that Sidi is the company that makes the >Aerostitch Combat Touring Boots. I wonder how they >compare to your BMW boots? > >

Arden Kysely

boots

Post by Arden Kysely » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:08 am

I just got the Sidi Discovery model and like them a lot. They have more armor than the Combat Touring boots, a reasonable sole for walking, and are supposed to be waterproof. I'll let you know more about the latter if it ever rains again in SoCal. __Arden -- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Judson D. Jones" wrote:
> > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Randall Marbach > wrote: > > > > > But from what I have seen from all the great posts so > > far, it looks like the choice will be between the > > Alpinestar Tech 4s (not sure which sole yet) and the > > Aerostitch Combat Touring boots. Can anybody tell me > > what the pros and cons of these two pair of boots are > > with regard to the relative safety in the dirt. > > Assuming they are comparable, I am leaning towards the > > Aerostitch boots. > > > > > I have had the Combat Touring boots for about 11 years, and bought
a pair
> of Tech 6s this year. (Tech 4s would have been fine, but I got a
super deal on
> "last year's" Tech 6s. So I'm out of style. Laugh all you want.) > > The Aerostich boots have worked fine, and I still wear them for
many
> conditions. But I have decided that I want more armor for riding in
rocks. The
> Aerostich are more comfortable for everyday riding, but the Alpine
Stars
> aren't bad, and I haven't got them fully broken in. > > Because I have worn my Aerostich boots primarily off-road, They
haven't
> needed soles yet, but lots of guys have replaced the mx soles with
Vibram
> lugs.

Lecours, Jean-Francois

boots

Post by Lecours, Jean-Francois » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:44 pm

Hi all I do not post a lot but I read a lot... I want to buy some boots but just can't decide... So to give me some ideas: What do you wear? Pros/cons, everything I need to know, go ahead. Thanks JFLecours Ottawa, Canada

Darren Clark

boots

Post by Darren Clark » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:57 pm

I've been using Alpine Stars Tech4's and I'm happy with them. The only thing is they're not water proof, if you ride in heavy rain your feet will be soaked. Oh I have the size 14's, I'm not sure if the height is different for different sizes, while standing up and riding the top of my boot hooked on to the fuel valve and broke it off. Darren Clark 2004 KLR650 A18 Lecours, Jean-Francois wrote:
>Hi all > >I do not post a lot but I read a lot... > >I want to buy some boots but just can't decide... So to give me some ideas: > >What do you wear? Pros/cons, everything I need to know, go ahead. > >Thanks > >JFLecours >Ottawa, Canada > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > >

klr250not

boots

Post by klr250not » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:08 pm

Alpinestars stunt shoes--not really "boots" but lightweight shoes you can run in if need be. Black and red too and stylish--not like the rubber galoshes with metal buckles the sportbike crowd suspects us of wearing. ------------------------------------ --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Lecours, Jean-Francois" wrote:
> Hi all > > I do not post a lot but I read a lot... > > I want to buy some boots but just can't decide... So to give me
some ideas:
> > What do you wear? Pros/cons, everything I need to know, go ahead. > > Thanks > > JFLecours > Ottawa, Canada