440.653.0096 (Cell)

Mark McCombs

Re: [mg-tabc] tc seats

Post by Mark McCombs » Sun Apr 30, 2000 6:28 am

Just to help clarify-And then we can let it go- Members offering other
members parts via this list
is an excellant, easy way to help other T members, clear unneeded parts,
recover money spent,
deal with people you somewhat know, ect.
The concern was NOT offering via the list. Offering stuff to non-list,
trying-to beat-the-other-guy via bidding wars by offering a part here, but
not selling it here, was the concern.
It seems like a cleaner deal to offer stuff here, via club member to club
member, either via this list or our classifieds at our web page, at a given
price.
By all means guys, if anybody has spare T-stuff, Post It!
Thanks-
Mark

-----Original Message-----
To: mg-tabc@egroups.com
Date: Sunday, April 30, 2000 7:55 AM
Subject: [mg-tabc] tc seats

>I received a set of Moss' black seats when I bought TC 9976. I prefer a
>tan interior. Any suggestions? Is anyone interested in buying what I have
>at a very fair price?
>Safety Fast !
>Jeff F 8-)
>440.355.MGMG (Home)
>440.653.0096 (Cell)
>
>
>
>

Joe Gates

TC SEATS

Post by Joe Gates » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:52 pm

I am readying TC 8675 for a 1800 mile trip scheduled for this coming September to celebrate fifty years of the MG TF - production began in September 1953. My dearly beloved has gently reminded me that the foam on both seat bases is a bit perished and could benefit us if replaced before then. I might do this myself as it does not seem a tough task - how naive I am!

Mike Sherrell mentions "a specially designed 'Dunlopillo' rubber cushion", and from the picture in the Moss catalogue it appears that the seat cushions may indeed have inserts of different grades or firmness of foam under the driver's and passenger's butts. Sherrell further states that ""tape and wadding complete the upholstery", and concludes with "our seats are soft, comfortable and sculptured".

Advice about dimensions (height/length/breadth) and the quality or grade of foam rubber and wadding (and where/how the latter should be packed) will be appreciated, as will any other tips you good folk can offer before I go about disassembling the seats and purchasing the components.

And yes, I could buy new customised components, but why spoil the fun!

Regards

Joe Gates
TC 8675
Johannesburg, S Africa

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fred Renner

tc seats

Post by Fred Renner » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:21 am

Dear Listers
Does any one have an opinion about Moss vs Heritage seat covers,cost,quality, color match, availability...or anything else you'd like to share. In advance,thanks.
Fred Renner
# 4970

gmbubb

TC seats

Post by gmbubb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:02 am

TC0878 was originally black with a red interior. It was reversed at some time by the first owner, I am the second and it wasn't me! The seat back is "solid" black and is of the early pattern according to Sherrill. Was the original back recovered? Who knows. The seat bases though were originally red as can be seen in the photo, where the dye is wearing off. It isn't paint. The seat bases need new foam or whatever as they are rock hard, but looking at a lot of other TCs over the years I realise I have never seen seats with the lines across the car anywhere else. Have I got non-standard seats or did some come like that?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s9t8qkng661f8w/TC%20seats.jpg?dl=0

Gordon
In Kent, UK, below 10 degrees C.

John Seim

Re: TC seats

Post by John Seim » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:13 am

Gordon, you might have correct seat bases, just someone recovered them with new material.The front panel on the top of the cover is wider than the rest, indicating that it was made that way.
The foam originally was Dunlop Pillow-bloc foam. It was a medium density foam. That is what youwant the new cushion material to me made of. Any upholstery shop can supply new medium density foam,and cut it to correct shape.
John SeimIrvine, CA
On Apr 4, 2015, at 7:02 AM, gordonbubb@hotmail.com [mg-tabc] wrote:
_TC0878 was originally black with a red interior. It was reversed at some time by the first owner, I am the second and it wasn't me! The seat back is "solid" black and is of the early pattern according to Sherrill. Was the original back recovered? Who knows. The seat bases though were originally red as can be seen in the photo, where the dye is wearing off. It isn't paint. The seat bases need new foam or whatever as they are rock hard, but looking at a lot of other TCs over the years I realise I have never seen seats with the lines across the car anywhere else. Have I got non-standard seats or did some come like that?https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s9t8qkng661f8w/TC%20seats.jpg?dl=0
GordonIn Kent, UK, below 10 degrees C.Posted by: gordonbubb@hotmail.comImage 

VISIT YOUR GROUPImage  Privacy   mg-tabc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe   Terms of Use

motionwear

Re: TC seats

Post by motionwear » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:13 am

Gordon, the seat bottom covers are not original - as your TC came from the factory.  At least I've never seen one this way, and based on what I know about the upholstery shop at Bodies Branch it is very unlikely a set of seat bottoms would be made this way.Careful disassembly will tell more of the story.  Telltale tack holes showing a recovering, differen types of padding, types of material (leather, rexine, backing cloth) - even the types of nails and tacks can help you construct the story.Tom Wilson