Paypal

David Lodge

Paypal

Post by David Lodge » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:31 pm

Hello Group, After a past purchase on eBay from a singularly obdurate seller who insisted on Paypal above all other methods of payment, I've been informed by the same Paypal that I"ve recently bought some disgusting sounding things from someone I've never heard of to the tune of some US$2,500! All attempts to connect to Paypal's security page result in my computer crashing. After an afternoon's troll around the murkier reaches of the 'net, it would appear that this sort of thing happens frequently! A cautionary tale, perhaps, so do beware! Regards, David Lodge

Chris Howard

Re: Paypal

Post by Chris Howard » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:28 am

David/Group I am about to purchase some TC parts from Bob Grunau. Given David's comments below on Paypal what is the best/safest way to pay Bob from the UK Regards Chris Howard TC/9164 - in pieces but now making progress
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lodge" archie_ponsonby@post.cz> To: MG-TABC@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 5:31 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] Paypal > Hello Group, > > After a past purchase on eBay from a singularly obdurate seller > who insisted on Paypal above all other methods of payment, I've > been informed by the same Paypal that I"ve recently bought some > disgusting sounding things from someone I've never heard of to > the tune of some US$2,500! All attempts to connect to Paypal's > security page result in my computer crashing. After an > afternoon's troll around the murkier reaches of the 'net, it > would appear that this sort of thing happens frequently! A > cautionary tale, perhaps, so do beware! > > Regards, David Lodge > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > -- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.7.11/26 - Release Date: 22/06/2005

John James

Post by John James » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:52 am

Chris, A wise choice as the parts that Bob sells are top quality! There shouldn't be any problem with using PayPal. I receive lots of payments via PayPal for Regalia orders on behalf of the 'T' Register. You would need to check that Bob can take PayPal payments - he may not particularly welcome them because PayPal takes commission from the vendor. I would say the best way to pay is by International bank transfer. Lloyds/TSB charge 10 for this service. If you use their express service it costs a lot more. Regards, JOHN JAMES (TC0750) -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Howard Sent: 26 June 2005 12:28 To: MG-TABC@yahoogroups.com; David Lodge Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Paypal David/Group I am about to purchase some TC parts from Bob Grunau. Given David's comments below on Paypal what is the best/safest way to pay Bob from the UK Regards Chris Howard TC/9164 - in pieces but now making progress
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lodge" archie_ponsonby@post.cz> To: MG-TABC@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 5:31 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] Paypal > Hello Group, > > After a past purchase on eBay from a singularly obdurate seller > who insisted on Paypal above all other methods of payment, I've > been informed by the same Paypal that I"ve recently bought some > disgusting sounding things from someone I've never heard of to > the tune of some US$2,500! All attempts to connect to Paypal's > security page result in my computer crashing. After an > afternoon's troll around the murkier reaches of the 'net, it > would appear that this sort of thing happens frequently! A > cautionary tale, perhaps, so do beware! > > Regards, David Lodge > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > -- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.7.11/26 - Release Date: 22/06/2005 Yahoo! Groups Links

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:53 am

Chris asks,
>I am about to purchase some TC parts from Bob Grunau. Given David's
comments below on PayPal what is the best/safest way to pay Bob from the UK?

Terry Sanders

Post by Terry Sanders » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:57 am

Like Gene, I've been using PayPal for years, well before Ebay bought them and never have had a problem. I'm wondering if David didn't get Pfish'ed by a PayPal lookalike? I had one this morning from PayPal and Ebay....I used to report them but now just delete. Terry Gene Gillam anngene@bellsouth.net> wrote: Chris asks,
>I am about to purchase some TC parts from Bob Grunau. Given David's
comments below on PayPal what is the best/safest way to pay Bob from the UK?

Jim or Jan Sullivan

Post by Jim or Jan Sullivan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:33 am

Hi David and all, I also had a bad experiance with Paypal. Now I contact seller in advance and ask if they will accept a check or some other means of payment. If not, I will not do business with them. Jim Sullivan TC 7517 EXU

bob wrenn

Post by bob wrenn » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:05 am

If it were me, I would ask Bob for his prefered method of payment. I have used Paypal for years and no problems. Bob Wrenn
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Howard" chrisrhoward@tiscali.co.uk> To: MG-TABC@yahoogroups.com>; "David Lodge" archie_ponsonby@post.cz> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 7:27 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Paypal > David/Group > > I am about to purchase some TC parts from Bob Grunau. Given David's > comments > below on Paypal what is the best/safest way to pay Bob from the UK > > Regards Chris Howard > TC/9164 - in pieces but now making progress > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "David Lodge" archie_ponsonby@post.cz> > To: MG-TABC@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 5:31 AM > Subject: [mg-tabc] Paypal > > >> Hello Group, >> >> After a past purchase on eBay from a singularly obdurate seller >> who insisted on Paypal above all other methods of payment, I've >> been informed by the same Paypal that I"ve recently bought some >> disgusting sounding things from someone I've never heard of to >> the tune of some US$2,500! All attempts to connect to Paypal's >> security page result in my computer crashing. After an >> afternoon's troll around the murkier reaches of the 'net, it >> would appear that this sort of thing happens frequently! A >> cautionary tale, perhaps, so do beware! >> >> Regards, David Lodge >> >> >> >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > > -- > No virus found in this outgoing message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.7.11/26 - Release Date: 22/06/2005 > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

FrankGraham

Post by FrankGraham » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:09 am

David, You are being 'Pfished', never use a link provided in an email that appears to be from a financial institution. Though the email may look like it came from PayPal, or eBay or even your own bank credit card, it is probably a scam. The messages typically say that your account is being misused, or your personal information needs updating, or you must change your password,etc. If you use the link you will be diverted to a site that mimics the real one and you will be asked to enter information that will be used to steal from you. The best thing to do if you are concerned with PayPal is to open your browser and type in the correct web address yourself, then call up your account and see if the activity the email says has occurred has actually happened. When properly logged in you should see that all page addresses on the site start with https:// which signifies a secure site. -- Frank < frankgraham@msn.com > ______________________

vze4xyru

Post by vze4xyru » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:16 am

As long as this Paypal is a theme: My son bought a driver's helmet over Ebay, used Paypal, and never got shipment from the seller. When he tried to get his money back (over $650.00) Paypal gave him a runaround and sent him $18.57. So much for their guarantees. It turned out that the fellow in Georgia had a long record of defrauding buyers. Ebay knew it and Paypal had trouble with the person prior to the incident with my son's purchases. The local police declined to prosecute the seller, even though they knew his record and my son told them he was willing to go to Georgia from Long Island to testify at his own expense!! Paypal completely waffled on their warranty regarding return of monies. I would never touch Paypal, and am very careful with Ebay itself. Dick Little, TA 1326
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lodge" archie_ponsonby@post.cz> To: MG-TABC@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 12:31 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] Paypal > Hello Group, > > After a past purchase on eBay from a singularly obdurate seller > who insisted on Paypal above all other methods of payment, I've > been informed by the same Paypal that I"ve recently bought some > disgusting sounding things from someone I've never heard of to > the tune of some US$2,500! All attempts to connect to Paypal's > security page result in my computer crashing. After an > afternoon's troll around the murkier reaches of the 'net, it > would appear that this sort of thing happens frequently! A > cautionary tale, perhaps, so do beware! > > Regards, David Lodge > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Terry & Lynda-May O'Brien

Paypal

Post by Terry & Lynda-May O'Brien » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:43 am

I do not know how paypal treats transactions UK Pounds to US$, but for Can$ paypal itself does the conversion at an exchange rate thate is unfavourable(fictitous?) to you and then charges your CC in Can$. Normally when you use your CC for a purchase in another currency your CC is charged in that currency and the CC does the conversion at the going rate at the time of the transaction. I think it is a scam and I will not use paypal. Terry in Vancouver