Generator Lubrication

SEBRING222@aol.com

Generator Lubrication

Post by SEBRING222@aol.com » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:17 am

I recently removed the brass/bronze screw fixture on the tach drive end of the generator to find a spring that was packed with old dirty grease to the extent that the spring could not function. The cavity was similarly packed with ancient grease. What lubricant is supposed to be used here, and is anything other than a spring supposed to be in this cavity? Thanks for your help with this. Jim Dougherty TC 4931 TC 5382 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bruce Knipe

Re: Generator Lubrication

Post by Bruce Knipe » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:43 am

As I learned recently, not all grease nipples on a MG-TC are for grease. At lease two are filled with liquid steering gear oil (steering gear box and the tachometer reduction gearbox that is attached to the generator). B.A. Pockets Knipe MG-TC 7976 ___________________________________________________
>From: SEBRING222@aol.com >To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [mg-tabc] Generator Lubrication >Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:16:50 EDT > >I recently removed the brass/bronze screw fixture on the tach drive end of >the generator to find a spring that was packed with old dirty grease to the >extent that the spring could not function. The cavity was similarly packed >with >ancient grease. What lubricant is supposed to be used here, and is anything >other than a spring supposed to be in this cavity? > >Thanks for your help with this. > >Jim Dougherty >TC 4931 >TC 5382 > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

Bob McKarney

Post by Bob McKarney » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:09 pm

Jim, my fixture has the spring which surrounds a square length of felt. I fill this felt with oil every time I lube the car. I'm sure there are those here that have a more definitive answer, but this has kept my genny lubed ok for a long time.
On Thursday, June 2, 2005, at 11:43 AM, Bruce Knipe wrote: > > ___________________________________________________ > >> From: SEBRING222@aol.com >> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com >> Subject: [mg-tabc] Generator Lubrication >> Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:16:50 EDT >> >> I recently removed the brass/bronze screw fixture on the tach drive >> end of >> the generator to find a spring that was packed with old dirty grease >> to the >> extent that the spring could not function. The cavity was similarly >> packed >> with >> ancient grease. What lubricant is supposed to be used here, and is >> anything >> other than a spring supposed to be in this cavity? >> >> Thanks for your help with this. >> >> Jim Dougherty >> TC 4931 >> TC 5382 >> >> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >> >> >> >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > Bob McKarney Cambria, CA

E.Worpe

Post by E.Worpe » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:24 am

Hi Jim, As Bruce has mentioned, there should be a piece of felt pushed towards the sleeve bearing by the spring. The felt retains some thin oil which migrates through the sintered bronze sleeve bearing. The rear dynamo bearing is prone to wear if neglected, as the armature shaft is quite soft. If the armature's bearing surface has worn badly, then it can be turned down to fit an alternative "oilite" bearing that has a 9/16 inch internal diameter instead of 5/8 inch (O/D is 3/4 inch). Alternatively, a thin sleeve of a hardened steel could be forced on to the machined armature journal and thus restore the original dimension. Regards, Eric. -----Original Message----- I recently removed the brass/bronze screw fixture on the tach drive end of the generator to find a spring that was packed with old dirty grease to the extent that the spring could not function. The cavity was similarly packed with ancient grease. What lubricant is supposed to be used here, and is anything other than a spring supposed to be in this cavity? Jim Dougherty [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

ROSS TAYLOR

Post by ROSS TAYLOR » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:25 am

A felt pad was fitted under the spring. A light grease was packed into the top of the fitting where the spring sits Regards Ross TC4284
>I recently removed the brass/bronze screw fixture on the tach drive end of >the generator to find a spring that was packed with old dirty grease to the >extent that the spring could not function. The cavity was similarly packed >with >ancient grease. What lubricant is supposed to be used here, and is anything >other than a spring supposed to be in this cavity? > >Thanks for your help with this. > >Jim Dougherty >TC 4931 >TC 5382 > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

Julian Evers

Post by Julian Evers » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:08 am

Dear All The original rear bearing on the dynamo is made up of small brass balls fused together but having gaps between them (I forget the technical term!) add then drilled to take the shaft. There are no seals to keep any lubrication from the windings. Lubrication is achieved by holding grease up against the bearing (hence the dirty old grease on a spring, actually it is absorbed onto a felt plug). The small amount of heat generated in the bearing is sufficient to melt enough of the grease and the oil released moves through the gaps in the brass and so provides the light amount of lubrication required. Best regards Julian Evers Still driving fast! SEBRING222@aol.com wrote:I recently removed the brass/bronze screw fixture on the tach drive end of the generator to find a spring that was packed with old dirty grease to the extent that the spring could not function. The cavity was similarly packed with ancient grease. What lubricant is supposed to be used here, and is anything other than a spring supposed to be in this cavity? Thanks for your help with this. Jim Dougherty TC 4931 TC 5382 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links --------------------------------- How much mail storage do you get for free? Yahoo! Mail gives you 1GB! Get Yahoo! Mail [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

SANDY SANDERS

Post by SANDY SANDERS » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:22 am

I believe the word is SINTERED BRONZE. Sandy Sanders
----- Original Message ----- From: Julian Eversjulian_evers@talk21.com> To: SEBRING222@aol.comSEBRING222@aol.com> ; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 8:07 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Generator Lubrication Dear All The original rear bearing on the dynamo is made up of small brass balls fused together but having gaps between them (I forget the technical term!) add then drilled to take the shaft. There are no seals to keep any lubrication from the windings. Lubrication is achieved by holding grease up against the bearing (hence the dirty old grease on a spring, actually it is absorbed onto a felt plug). The small amount of heat generated in the bearing is sufficient to melt enough of the grease and the oil released moves through the gaps in the brass and so provides the light amount of lubrication required. Best regards Julian Evers Still driving fast! SEBRING222@aol.comSEBRING222@aol.com> wrote:I recently removed the brass/bronze screw fixture on the tach drive end of the generator to find a spring that was packed with old dirty grease to the extent that the spring could not function. The cavity was similarly packed with ancient grease. What lubricant is supposed to be used here, and is anything other than a spring supposed to be in this cavity? Thanks for your help with this. Jim Dougherty TC 4931 TC 5382 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links --------------------------------- How much mail storage do you get for free? Yahoo! Mail gives you 1GB! Get Yahoo! Mail [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

David Lodge

Post by David Lodge » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:07 pm

Hello Julian, "Sintered bronze", if memory serves. Regards, David Lodge ----- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----- From: "Julian Evers" julian_evers@talk21.com> To: SEBRING222@aol.com,mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Generator Lubrication Date: 3.6.2005 - 14:08:11
> Dear All > > The original rear bearing on the dynamo is made up of > small brass balls fused together but having gaps > between them (I forget the technical term!) add then > drilled to take the shaft. There are no seals to keep > any lubrication from the windings. Lubrication is > achieved by holding grease up against the bearing > (hence the dirty old grease on a spring, actually it > is absorbed onto a felt plug). The small amount of > heat generated in the bearing is sufficient to melt > enough of the grease and the oil released moves > through the gaps in the brass and so provides the > light amount of lubrication required. > > Best regards > > Julian Evers > > Still driving fast! > > > SEBRING222@aol.com wrote:I recently removed the > brass/bronze screw fixture on the tach drive end of > the generator to find a spring that was packed with old > dirty grease to the > extent that the spring could not function. The cavity > was similarly packed with > ancient grease. What lubricant is supposed to be used > here, and is anything > other than a spring supposed to be in this cavity? > > Thanks for your help with this. > > Jim Dougherty > TC 4931 > TC 5382 > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > How much mail storage do you get for free? Yahoo! Mail > gives you 1GB! > Get Yahoo! Mail > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Mike H.

Generator Lubrication

Post by Mike H. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:41 pm

The felt wick Holds oil/grease against the outside of the bushing. As the bushing is made of sintered bronze (a very porous casting) oil will permeate through the it as it heats up, onto the armature shaft. In it's original design grease was used but with todays high tech oils people are using different applications. The bushing is on the soft side and will wear fast with no poor lubrication and improper tension of the fan belt. Mike