30 mph warning light

billear3@aol.com

30 mph warning light

Post by billear3@aol.com » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:27 pm

MG group and all ships at sea: TC 0735, which was made on 6May46 and shipped to Agar Cross, a TC dealer in Argentina, has the 30mph light hookup in the speedometer, but not the proper lens in either of the map lights. The contacts were discovered when I disassembled the speedometer, and noted the terminal on the back. The Group and Craig Seabrook advised that this was the necessary feature for the 30 light, something that was nominally reserved for the home market TCs. The innards of the speedometer were found to be in a rather peculiar state, and the contact for the 30 light was very fragile and worn. I sent the whole ensemble to Craig, who sent it on to John Marks for a comprehensive restoration. Madhu's discovery of a replacement light assembly for a mere 200 Euros in Germany got my attention, so I went to the garage and checked on TC 0735's right map light: no green lens, just the usual shroud. Was there someone out there that mentioned that the proper cover/cap/shroud was available somewhere...for a lot less than Eur200? Since I'm about to tackle a rewire of the dash, I can't think of a reason for not wiring in the 30 light. On the other hand, I might just find a flickering light annoying and a distraction. Anyone out there that has more comments? Bill Earhart TC 0735 Hermosa Beach, Ca.

Chip Old

Re: 30 mph warning light

Post by Chip Old » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:06 pm

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:27 -0400, billear3@aol.com wrote:
> TC 0735, which was made on 6May46 and shipped to Agar Cross, a TC > dealer in Argentina, has the 30mph light hookup in the speedometer, but > not the proper lens in either of the map lights. > The contacts were discovered when I disassembled the speedometer, and > noted the terminal on the back. The Group and Craig Seabrook advised > that this was the necessary feature for the 30 light, something that was > nominally reserved for the home market TCs. > The innards of the speedometer were found to be in a rather peculiar > state, and the contact for the 30 light was very fragile and worn. > I sent the whole ensemble to Craig, who sent it on to John Marks for > a comprehensive restoration. > Madhu's discovery of a replacement light assembly for a mere 200 > Euros in Germany got my attention, so I went to the garage and checked > on TC 0735's right map light: no green lens, just the usual shroud. > Was there someone out there that mentioned that the proper > cover/cap/shroud was available somewhere...for a lot less than Eur200? > Since I'm about to tackle a rewire of the dash, I can't think of a > reason for not wiring in the 30 light. > On the other hand, I might just find a flickering light annoying and > a distraction. Anyone out there that has more comments?
The fact that your speedometer has the internal contacts and terminal for the light doesn't necessarily mean the TC originally had the light. But, if you want one, why not. As for the flickering, you can just rotate the lamp body to turn it off. It's just the standard map light, complete with rotary switch, but with a different cover. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

Paroor

AW: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light

Post by Paroor » Mon May 02, 2005 8:38 am

Hi Chip Old, This man in the local MG shop was keeping that 30 mile lamp in the shelf for the last few years. It is still new in the original old packing. If the price is reasonable, he can sell it. I am not willing to pay so much money. Madhu -----Urspr ngliche Nachricht----- Von: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com]Im Auftrag von Chip Old Gesendet: Sonntag, 1. Mai 2005 05:07 An: MG-TABC Betreff: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:27 -0400, billear3@aol.com wrote: > Madhu's discovery of a replacement light assembly for a mere 200 > Euros in Germany got my attention, so I went to the garage and checked > on TC 0735's right map light: no green lens, just the usual shroud. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

SANDY SANDERS

Post by SANDY SANDERS » Mon May 02, 2005 8:46 am

I have 2 thirty lights . They are not for sale . Both of these look externally like the map light . The shrouds have the green jewel but without the slot in the side for the map light to show through. The bases are different in that they do not have the twist on-twist off feature. Other than that feature they appear the same. Sandy Sanders
----- Original Message ----- From: Paroorparoor@t-online.de> To: Chip Oldfold@bcpl.net> ; MG-TABCmg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 11:38 AM Subject: AW: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light Hi Chip Old, This man in the local MG shop was keeping that 30 mile lamp in the shelf for the last few years. It is still new in the original old packing. If the price is reasonable, he can sell it. I am not willing to pay so much money. Madhu -----Urspr ngliche Nachricht----- Von: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com]Im Auftrag von Chip Old Gesendet: Sonntag, 1. Mai 2005 05:07 An: MG-TABC Betreff: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:27 -0400, billear3@aol.combillear3@aol.com> wrote: > Madhu's discovery of a replacement light assembly for a mere 200 > Euros in Germany got my attention, so I went to the garage and checked > on TC 0735's right map light: no green lens, just the usual shroud. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.netfold@bcpl.net> Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Mon May 02, 2005 9:24 am

That's interesting about the lack of the switch. I have two (not for sale either), and both have the same base (including switch) as the map light. I have no idea which is original, but since the original poster was planning to convert a map light, and since he was concerned about being annoyed by the light, he can just give it a twist to turn it off. On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:45 -0400, SANDY SANDERS wrote to Chip Old, MG-TABC,...:
> I have 2 thirty lights . They are not for sale . Both of these look > externally like the map light . The shrouds have the green jewel but > without the slot in the side for the map light to show through. The > bases are different in that they do not have the twist on-twist off > feature. Other than that feature they appear the same. > Sandy Sanders
-- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland fold@bcpl.net

Terry Sanders

Post by Terry Sanders » Mon May 02, 2005 10:26 am

Gents, the chatter about the Thirty lite has been interesting. I never hooked up the Thirty Lite on the TA but the one on the SA works fine and always startles me when it comes on! I have a NOS Thirty Lite here with a Mazda No.207 bulb (original?) that has never been in a car. It has the bronze base and a switch. Given a price of one for 200 Euros......I am willing to be talked out of it for offers in that equivalent US $......Anyone? Terry in Oakland Chip Old fold@bcpl.net> wrote: That's interesting about the lack of the switch. I have two (not for sale either), and both have the same base (including switch) as the map light. I have no idea which is original, but since the original poster was planning to convert a map light, and since he was concerned about being annoyed by the light, he can just give it a twist to turn it off. On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:45 -0400, SANDY SANDERS wrote to Chip Old, MG-TABC,...:
> I have 2 thirty lights . They are not for sale . Both of these look > externally like the map light . The shrouds have the green jewel but > without the slot in the side for the map light to show through. The > bases are different in that they do not have the twist on-twist off > feature. Other than that feature they appear the same. > Sandy Sanders
-- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland fold@bcpl.net Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

fnitz

Post by fnitz » Mon May 02, 2005 10:58 am

That's $257 at today's rate. Fred TC1353 -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Terry Sanders Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 10:26 AM To: MG-TABC Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light Gents, the chatter about the Thirty lite has been interesting. I never hooked up the Thirty Lite on the TA but the one on the SA works fine and always startles me when it comes on! I have a NOS Thirty Lite here with a Mazda No.207 bulb (original?) that has never been in a car. It has the bronze base and a switch. Given a price of one for 200 Euros......I am willing to be talked out of it for offers in that equivalent US $......Anyone? Terry in Oakland Chip Old fold@bcpl.net> wrote: That's interesting about the lack of the switch. I have two (not for sale either), and both have the same base (including switch) as the map light. I have no idea which is original, but since the original poster was planning to convert a map light, and since he was concerned about being annoyed by the light, he can just give it a twist to turn it off. On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:45 -0400, SANDY SANDERS wrote to Chip Old, MG-TABC,...:
-- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland fold@bcpl.net Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links

Terry Sanders

Post by Terry Sanders » Mon May 02, 2005 11:03 am

Sounds fair to me Fred!! ;-), Terry That's $257 at today's rate. Fred TC1353 -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Terry Sanders Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 10:26 AM To: MG-TABC Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light Gents, the chatter about the Thirty lite has been interesting. I never hooked up the Thirty Lite on the TA but the one on the SA works fine and always startles me when it comes on! I have a NOS Thirty Lite here with a Mazda No.207 bulb (original?) that has never been in a car. It has the bronze base and a switch. Given a price of one for 200 Euros......I am willing to be talked out of it for offers in that equivalent US $......Anyone? Terry in Oakland Chip Old wrote: That's interesting about the lack of the switch. I have two (not for sale either), and both have the same base (including switch) as the map light. I have no idea which is original, but since the original poster was planning to convert a map light, and since he was concerned about being annoyed by the light, he can just give it a twist to turn it off. On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:45 -0400, SANDY SANDERS wrote to Chip Old, MG-TABC,...:
-- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland fold@bcpl.net Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

David Lodge

Post by David Lodge » Mon May 02, 2005 4:52 pm

Hello Chip, Fred, The Thirtlite in 1704 couldn't be turned. The bulbs used to burn out as I was such an impecunious youth (nothing changes!) it was always on! Regards, David Lodge ----- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----- From: "Chip Old" fold@bcpl.net> To: "MG-TABC" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light Date: 2.5.2005 - 18:24:45
> That's interesting about the lack of the switch. I > have two (not for > sale either), and both have the same base (including > switch) as the map > light. I have no idea which is original, but since the > original poster > was planning to convert a map light, and since he was > concerned about > being annoyed by the light, he can just give it a twist > to turn it off. > > On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:45 -0400, SANDY SANDERS wrote to > Chip Old, MG-TABC,...: > > > I have 2 thirty lights . They are not for sale . Both > > of these look > > externally like the map light . The shrouds have the > > green jewel but > > without the slot in the side for the map light to > > show through. The > > bases are different in that they do not have the > > twist on-twist off > > feature. Other than that feature they appear the > > same. > > Sandy Sanders > > -- > Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 > NEMGTR #2271 > Cub Hill, Maryland > fold@bcpl.net > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >
-- Zkou ejte vysokorychlostn nonstop internet VOLN ADSL 14 dn ZDARMA! Ji d le nev hejte! Prvn ch 500 z kazn k nav c z sk tri ko. V ce informac na http://adsl.volny.cz/adsl-na-zkousku/

1939mgtb

Post by 1939mgtb » Mon May 02, 2005 8:07 pm

Or put a bit of paper in the top! Insta-dimmer! Best, Ray "Morology is our profession, our ONLY profession!"
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lodge" archie_ponsonby@post.cz> To: fold@bcpl.net>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 6:52 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light Hello Chip, Fred, The Thirtlite in 1704 couldn't be turned. The bulbs used to burn out as I was such an impecunious youth (nothing changes!) it was always on! Regards, David Lodge ----- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----- From: "Chip Old" fold@bcpl.net> To: "MG-TABC" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 mph warning light Date: 2.5.2005 - 18:24:45 > That's interesting about the lack of the switch. I > have two (not for > sale either), and both have the same base (including > switch) as the map > light. I have no idea which is original, but since the > original poster > was planning to convert a map light, and since he was > concerned about > being annoyed by the light, he can just give it a twist > to turn it off. > > On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:45 -0400, SANDY SANDERS wrote to > Chip Old, MG-TABC,...: > > > I have 2 thirty lights . They are not for sale . Both > > of these look > > externally like the map light . The shrouds have the > > green jewel but > > without the slot in the side for the map light to > > show through. The > > bases are different in that they do not have the > > twist on-twist off > > feature. Other than that feature they appear the > > same. > > Sandy Sanders > > -- > Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 > NEMGTR #2271 > Cub Hill, Maryland > fold@bcpl.net > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > -- Zkou ejte vysokorychlostn nonstop internet VOLN ADSL 14 dn ZDARMA! Ji d le nev hejte! Prvn ch 500 z kazn k nav c z sk tri ko. V ce informac na http://adsl.volny.cz/adsl-na-zkousku/ Yahoo! Groups Links