30 light

Terry Horlick

30 light

Post by Terry Horlick » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:56 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a 30 light? Dash lamps come up on E- Bay frequently, but I have not seen a 30. As I have one dash lamp I would like to complete the set with the purchase of a 30. Parts suppliers seem to have never heard of this item. Thanks, Terry TC2285

Charles Hill

Re: 30 light

Post by Charles Hill » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Terry, Abingdon Spares had them at a ridiculous price at one time. Don't know if they still have them. The 30 light is basically the same as the other dash lamp with a different cover. My suggestion would be to put in 2 dash lamps until you stumble across a 30 light. BTW, is your car a home or export model? I don't know for sure but I don't think that 30 lights were put on export models. My EXU doesn't have one, but thats much later. Maybe one of the experts on the list can give you some better info. Regards, Charles Hill Terry Horlick wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can find a 30 light? Dash lamps come up on E- >Bay frequently, but I have not seen a 30. As I have one dash lamp I >would like to complete the set with the purchase of a 30. Parts >suppliers seem to have never heard of this item. > >Thanks, Terry TC2285 > > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > >

Paroor

AW: [mg-tabc] 30 light

Post by Paroor » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:50 pm

Hi Terry, The lamp alone is not enough. You need an 30 mile signal outlet from the Speedometer. With out that it will not work. Lamp is available here in the local shop for about 200 ? If you want I can contact the shop for exact price. For me it is not value for the money. Madhu -----Urspr ngliche Nachricht----- Von: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com]Im Auftrag von Terry Horlick Gesendet: Samstag, 30. April 2005 06:57 Does anyone know where I can find a 30 light? Dash lamps come up on E- Bay frequently, but I have not seen a 30. As I have one dash lamp I would like to complete the set with the purchase of a 30. Parts suppliers seem to have never heard of this item. Thanks, Terry TC2285

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:10 am

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:29 -0500, Charles Hill wrote:
> BTW, is your car a home or export model? I don't know for sure but I > don't think that 30 lights were put on export models. My EXU doesn't > have one, but thats much later. Maybe one of the experts on the list > can give you some better info.
The 30 MPH warning light was only on Home Model cars. Cars built for export had two map lights instead. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland US fold@bcpl.net

Mark Stolzenburg

Post by Mark Stolzenburg » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:37 am

Terry, The information you have received so far is correct. The 30 MPH light was only found on home models (not export models) and you have to have the correct speedometer. The speedo has a contact inside that grounds the circuit at around 30 MPH (turning the light on) and then disconnects the ground around 38 to 40 MPH (turning the light off). Look at the back of your speedo. If it has the 30 MPH circuit it will have an extra threaded stud toward the bottom third of the speedo. I am told the home models had this feature because the speed limit in London was 30 MPH. Maybe some of our member across the pond can confirm this. If you are serious about having a 30 MPH light and cannot find an original (I believe they are hard to find) I would suggest you contact Craig Seabrook at the Whitworth Shop. His contact info is on the mg-tabc website. Craig can convert one of your map light covers with the green "emerald". Craig does outstanding work and you will be more than pleased with the outcome. Mark Stolzenburg St. Louis, Missouri TC 7812
----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Horlick" thorlick@sbcglobal.net> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 11:56 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] 30 light > Does anyone know where I can find a 30 light? Dash lamps come up on E- > Bay frequently, but I have not seen a 30. As I have one dash lamp I > would like to complete the set with the purchase of a 30. Parts > suppliers seem to have never heard of this item. > > Thanks, Terry TC2285 > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Terry Horlick

Post by Terry Horlick » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:21 am

TC2285 is a home model. It is a 1947 (didn't the export model start in '48?). When I repaired the speedo and got it working I also repaired the 30 contacts. I haven't tested the contacts on the road yet. I suppose I should do that before buying such an over-priced item. My car only has one dash light. In order to maintain symetry I haven't installed that light yet. Does the map light provide any useable service? It seems likely that the 30 light is of more use, when the tonneau cover is on I cannot see across the cockpit to the speedo. No matter the 30 light won't help at 55mph and at higher speeds I am watching the road not the instruments.

Robert Kampas

Post by Robert Kampas » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:30 am

Hello Terry, and thank you too the list members who have responded to your enquiry. I also have a 30 light on home market TC2544. Apparently I was very lucky in that it was with the car when we started our restoration. It, however, is the only uncompleted electrical item that needs to be finished on my car. Thanks to this group It now is my understanding that the terminal at the rear of the speedometer is grounded (positive earth). Does anyone know if this connection is to be made to the sheathing of the speedometer cable or is there a better location? Also where should I make the connection for the other side of the lamp circuit (negative side)? Cheers, Bob Kampas Bothell, Washington -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Terry Horlick Who wrote TC2285 is a home model. It is a 1947 (didn't the export model start in '48?). When I repaired the speedo and got it working I also repaired the 30 contacts. I haven't tested the contacts on the road yet. I suppose I should do that before buying such an over-priced item. My car only has one dash light. In order to maintain symetry I haven't installed that light yet. Does the map light provide any useable service? It seems likely that the 30 light is of more use, when the tonneau cover is on I cannot see across the cockpit to the speedo. No matter the 30 light won't help at 55mph and at higher speeds I am watching the road not the instruments.

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:11 pm

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:20 -0000, Terry Horlick wrote:
> TC2285 is a home model. It is a 1947 (didn't the export model start in > '48?).
The TC/EXU didn't appear until 1948, but the export of TCs (including to the US) dates back to the very beginning of TC production. TCs exported to the US prior to the EXU were general export models, and did not thave the 30 MPH warning light. There aren't many clues to tell you whether a pre-EXU TC in the US started life as a Home Model (probably imported later) or a General Export model. One obvious one is that Home Model cars don't have a "Made In England" plate below the maker's plate, but most export cars meant for the US market do. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland fold@bcpl.net

fnitz

Post by fnitz » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:28 pm

I was under the impression that nothing before TC7380 was produced as an EXU Fred TC1353 -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chip Old Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 8:10 AM To: MG-TABC Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 light
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:29 -0500, Charles Hill wrote: > BTW, is your car a home or export model? I don't know for sure but I > don't think that 30 lights were put on export models. My EXU doesn't > have one, but thats much later. Maybe one of the experts on the list > can give you some better info. The 30 MPH warning light was only on Home Model cars. Cars built for export had two map lights instead. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland US fold@bcpl.net Yahoo! Groups Links

Terry Horlick

Post by Terry Horlick » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:52 pm

--- In mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com, Chip Old wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:20 -0000, Terry Horlick wrote: > > > TC2285 is a home model. It is a 1947 (didn't the export model
start in
> > '48?). > One obvious one is that Home Model cars don't have a "Made In
England"
> plate below the maker's plate, but most export cars meant for the US > market do.
I have the maker's plate and the patent plate but not a "made in England Plate. So home model? Terry TC2285