Oil seal

banjomey2@aol.com

Oil seal

Post by banjomey2@aol.com » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:02 am

Hi chaps, does anybody has expieriance in assembling the "modern lip-type seal" (Moss part 120-750, front crankshaft), which replaces the old rope type seals. It is one piece and it is advised to be glued in place with silicone gasket cement. Should the glue simply go into the grooves in the timing chain cover/oil-sump and then press the seal in??? What happens with the silicone that will be squeezed out when putting sump and cover together? Thanks for advice. Peter "Banjo" Meyer TC 9027, 1949 Morgan +4, 1965 TR 3A, 1959 Rilye TT Sprite Special, 1935 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Peter Roberts

Re: Oil seal

Post by Peter Roberts » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:22 pm

Banjo, Wait! Wait! Don't install that lip seal yet! I have gone through about six of the Moss seals with repeated leaks from the front seal. Angst, angst. Damn things are too thin for the groove and get cocked during installation. The someone on the List touted me on to a Chicago Rawhide Viton Seal dimensions 36x48x10. This is a seal of much superior heat range and has a thicker sidewall. You will want to take the pan and timing cover to a good machine shop to get a proper fit (bring along a pan gasket for the fitting). Believe me, it is worth the time and fuss. When the shop gets a good fit, lightly coat the exterior of the seal with blue goo and fit it into the timing cover. Install the timing cover. Install the drive shaft pulley. Install the pan. Enjoy a dry front seal. Regards, _peter

Peter Cole

Post by Peter Cole » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:31 am

Peter, Buy a copy of the MGCC's T Register XPAG video, available in PAL and NTSC2 from John James of this list and see how it's done by the experts. It's not just a matter of using the seal plus some silicone. You need to alter the shape of the groove. Peter Cole. banjomey2@aol.com wrote:
>Hi chaps, >does anybody has expieriance in assembling the "modern lip-type seal" (Moss >part 120-750, front crankshaft), which replaces the old rope type seals. It is >one piece and it is advised to be glued in place with silicone gasket cement. >Should the glue simply go into the grooves in the timing chain cover/oil-sump >and then press the seal in??? What happens with the silicone that will be >squeezed out when putting sump and cover together? >Thanks for advice. > > > > >Peter "Banjo" Meyer >TC 9027, 1949 >Morgan +4, 1965 >TR 3A, 1959 >Rilye TT Sprite Special, 1935 > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > >

juergenosmer

Oil seal

Post by juergenosmer » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:02 pm

Hello, I ve just dismantled my rear axle to fit new oil seals behind the rear axle bearing. Unfortunately I m not sure what is the direction to fit the oil seal . Is it open side against the bearing or reverse? Does anybody know the size of the big nut which fixes the bearinghouse? Juergen TC 6959

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:43 am

hi Juergen - the seals do indeed go on with the open side nearest to the bearing. That way they will slide easily onto the raised shoulder behind the bearing journal, put the other way around and the edges of the seal will not go properly over the edge. BTW I hope you have double lipped seals, like the ones which I stock. The originals were made of leather with a larger surface area than the modern nitrile rubber, and also longer lasting. The nut is a special fine thread: 1 9/16" diam. with 16tpi of Whitworth form (NOT 40 x 1.5mm as I once saw in an article in the German MGCC magazine!). I stock these nuts, but also recommend that you use the ones incorporating a lip-seal which stops axle oil getting into the hub and hence onto the brakes. PLS email me off-list if you want prices or more details. ocTagonally TCRoger Devon SW England (where today it is snowing heavily, which is wierd because a lot of our trees have not yet lost their leaves, so we can maybe expect some blocked roads due to falling branches...)
>I ve just dismantled my rear axle to fit new oil seals behind the rear >axle bearing. >Unfortunately I m not sure what is the direction to fit the oil seal . >Is it open side against the bearing or reverse? >Does anybody know the size of the big nut which fixes the bearinghouse? > > >Juergen >TC 6959 > > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Robert F.Butson.

Oil seal

Post by Robert F.Butson. » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:02 pm

I want to replace the front crankshaft oil seal on my MPJG engine with a modern lip seal. Has anyone done this and was it a success? Type and part number would be useful. many thanks,......bob.

Alan Webster

Post by Alan Webster » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:34 am

Bob, Brian Rainbow, one of our list members has done this. I am sure if you contact him he will give you details Alan Webster Sutton Coldfield UK TA 3239
--- In mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com, "Robert F.Butson." wrote: > > I want to replace the front crankshaft oil seal on my MPJG engine with a > modern lip seal. Has anyone done this and was it a success? Type and part > number would be useful. many thanks,......bob. >

golixhoweville

oil seal

Post by golixhoweville » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:09 am

I just bought a new Al Moss reaar engine oil seal kit he had posted on this site. Turns out my engine is not coming apart, therefore I cannot use it. It's still in original packaging. He sold it for 120; I'd be happy to sell it for 100. Check with me off list. Dick Warren

golixhoweville

oil seal

Post by golixhoweville » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:19 am

the oil seal offered earlier haas been sold. Thanks Dick Warren