TA Starter Removal?

jonmolyneux

TA Starter Removal?

Post by jonmolyneux » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:47 am

Dear Listers
Can anyone offer practical advice or point me to a link in archives where I can get step by step instructions on how to remove the starter from my TA, which seems to have suddenly failed? ( I have checked for stuck pinion, removed and checked the piggy back switch and tried connecting power directly to the starter itself, all with no joy). The Autobooks manual I have simply says to remove the exhaust system from manifold, but looking at the amount of clearance needed to withdraw the unit I can see this is probably not enough - does the steering column have to be removed too?
Once I have the unit out , can anyone point to a current source for reconditioning or exchange as the Octagon club don t list them and Moss also shows as not available.
Many thanks all
Jon
TA0492
From Autumnal England

Casey Duncan

Re: TA Starter Removal?

Post by Casey Duncan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:37 pm

I just removed mine on my TC, assuming it s similar. I did not fully remove the steering column, I just undid the drop arm, unbolted the steering box from the car and then removed the steering wheel, and the one bolt column bracket under the dash. I was then able to move the steering box up with plenty of space for the starter to clear. It sounds more complicated than it is. One issue with mine is that the steering box has been brazed to the column tube, so I can t easily remove it.
Since I m pulling the engine I also removed the intake and exhaust already. You probably won t need to but it s nice to have the space. Removing the rod between the firewall and radiator would probably help give space too.
The starter bolts are a pain because there isn t clearance to get a socket or box end wrench around them. I wound up modifying a cheap old wrench removing about 1/3 of the box end to make removal easier.
-Casey

Jon Molyneux

Post by Jon Molyneux » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 pm

Thanks Casey and all that replied. Seems I will have to at least loosen the steering box to gain enough space to remove the starter, which makes me a little nervous! Will follow your hints and advice and report back. Thanks again. Jon TA0492 (temporarily grounded)

Clive Sherriff

Post by Clive Sherriff » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:31 am

You will probably find you need to remove the cover of the bendix gear too, the TC/D/F does not have this of course.CLIVEm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:47 AM Jon Molyneux jonmolyneux@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Thanks Casey and all that replied. Seems I will have to at least loosen the steering box to gain enough space to remove the starter, which makes me a little nervous! Will follow your hints and advice and report back. Thanks again. Jon TA0492 (temporarily grounded)

Clive Sherriff

Post by Clive Sherriff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:12 am

Attachments :Roger et al Yes there is, it's a sort of top hat thing that must be there otherwise you would loose all your engine oil from the oil immersed wet clutch. Here's one '[img]cid:ii_jnbkg1wc0[/img] [img]cid:ii_jnbkgojb1[/img] Clive
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM Roger Muir rogermuir@btinternet.com> wrote: Don t get confused by this. There is no separate bendix cover on an MPJG engine. Roger Muir Sent from my iPhone On 15 Oct 2018, at 09:30, CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: You will probably find you need to remove the cover of the bendix gear too, the TC/D/F does not have this of course.CLIVEm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:47 AM Jon Molyneux jonmolyneux@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Thanks Casey and all that replied. Seems I will have to at least loosen the steering box to gain enough space to remove the starter, which makes me a little nervous! Will follow your hints and advice and report back. Thanks again. Jon TA0492 (temporarily grounded)