Wiring for first engine start

Geoff Broad

Wiring for first engine start

Post by Geoff Broad » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:09 am

Good afternoon MGers

Firstly thank you to those who answered my query about clock wiring.

I want to start the engine for the first time with temporary wiring per Doug Peltons excellent video.

I have in a temporary panel fixed the oil pressure gauge and the choke cable. I also have a switch which will act as the ignition switch. The wiring to the regulator is all in place as is the wiring to coil, distributor, petrol pump and dynamo.

My question is which wires do I connect to my temp switch to provide power to the coil, petrol pump and distributor?

Regards

Geoff

TC6996

A cold, wet bank holiday Monday in Suffolk

Norman Verona

Re: Wiring for first engine start

Post by Norman Verona » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:41 am

Geoff,

The coil needs a live 12v feed from the ignition switch. The other side goes to the distributor.

Are you going to run the engine out of the chassis? I did and just fixed up a plastic can for fuel which was tied the a roof beam. Ran wires to the coil from a slave battery, used jump leads to connect battery to starter and just held the jump lead to the battery post to start the engine. It’s on my blog, about June/July 2016. That’s the MG TC blog.

[b][u]Norman Verona aka "Email Norman"[/u][/b]

11 Cherry close, Royston, S71 4LZ

Mob: 0741 9905 741

Web: www.frenchblat.com

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]On Behalf Of [/b]'Geoff Broad' broadassociates@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] 27 August 2018 14:09 [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Wiring for first engine start

Good afternoon MGers

I want to start the engine for the first time with temporary wiring per Doug Peltons excellent video.

I have in a temporary panel fixed the oil pressure gauge and the choke cable. I also have a switch which will act as the ignition switch. The wiring to the regulator is all in place as is the wiring to coil, distributor, petrol pump and dynamo.

My question is which wires do I connect to my temp switch to provide power to the coil, petrol pump and distributor?

Regards

Geoff

TC6996

A cold, wet bank holiday Monday in Suffolk

Geoff Broad

Re: Wiring for first engine start

Post by Geoff Broad » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:43 am

And of course which wires to the ammeter which I have also located in the temp panel.

Geoff

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] [b]On Behalf Of [/b]'Geoff Broad' broadassociates@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] 27 August 2018 14:09 [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Wiring for first engine start

Good afternoon MGers

I have in a temporary panel fixed the oil pressure gauge and the choke cable. I also hav e a switch which will act as the ignition switch. The wiring to the regulator is all in place as is the wiring to coil, distributor, petrol pump and dynamo.

Regards

Geoff

TC6996

A cold, w et bank holiday Monday in Suffolk