Door alignment

Dr. Barry Simmons

Door alignment

Post by Dr. Barry Simmons » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:08 pm

I have 1949 TC (#10159). The leading edge of my door (driver s side) protrudes 1/2 inch out from body. I have worked with the rear hinges to no avail. Shims have not solved my problem. I sure would appreciate any help with this problem from the group s members. My knowledge of body work is limited. Barry Simmons

George Arber

Re: Door alignment

Post by George Arber » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:47 pm

It should be possible to twist the door into permanent alignment using an internal metal strap under tension running from corner to corner. A piece of bright mild steel strip say 1/8 x 1/2 recessed into the door frame and screwed into position with c/ sunk screws. After fixing one end , the other end is screwed in it s final position with the door corner in the correct position.
On 21 Jul 2018, at 20:08, 'Dr. Barry Simmons' bsdds@bellsouth.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  I have 1949 TC (#10159). The leading edge of my door (driver s side) protrudes 1/2 inch out from body. I have worked with the rear hinges to no avail. Shims have not solved my problem. I sure would appreciate any help with this problem from the group s members. My knowledge of body work is limited. Barry Simmons

James Lee

Post by James Lee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:48 pm

lots of doors stick out 1/2 - see if door lock is fully engaging the striker - double clicked and not just single -  Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 21, 2018, at 1:08 PM, 'Dr. Barry Simmons' bsdds@bellsouth.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

George Arber

Post by George Arber » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Having re read your email my suggestion really is for when the one of the leading corners is out of alignment. If the full edge is protruding I assume that the door frame is evenly warped. Is the rear inner door frame fouling the body frame or the hinges binding thus preventing the door from swinging fully into position ? When the door is fully closed there should be a slight clearance between the body and inner door frame.
On 21 Jul 2018, at 20:47, George Arber george.arber@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  It should be possible to twist the door into permanent alignment using an internal metal strap under tension running from corner to corner. A piece of bright mild steel strip say 1/8 x 1/2 recessed into the door frame and screwed into position with c/ sunk screws. After fixing one end , the other end is screwed in it s final position with the door corner in the correct position.. On 21 Jul 2018, at 20:08, 'Dr. Barry Simmons' bsdds@bellsouth.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   I have 1949 TC (#10159). The leading edge of my door (driver s side) protrudes 1/2 inch out from body. I have worked with the rear hinges to no avail. Shims have not solved my problem. I sure would appreciate any help with this problem from the group s members. My knowledge of body work is limited. Barry Simmons

Clive Sherriff

Post by Clive Sherriff » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:59 am

The old steel strap is always a bit hit and miss. A far better, and adjustable, solution is to use a small turnbuckle and a couple of wire cables. CliveOxford, UKm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [img]https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fipmcdn.avast.com%2Fimages%2Ficons%2Ficon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif&t=1532308081&sig=.CaJDQSnm89bznpa9ZTjHA--~D[/img] Virus-free. www.avast.com
On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 8:47 PM, George Arber george.arber@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] It should be possible to twist the door into permanent alignment using an internal metal strap under tension running from corner to corner. A piece of bright mild steel strip say 1/8 x 1/2 recessed into the door frame and screwed into position with c/ sunk screws. After fixing one end , the other end is screwed in it s final position with the door corner in the correct position.. On 21 Jul 2018, at 20:08, 'Dr. Barry Simmons' bsdds@bellsouth.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

mgtc0604

Post by mgtc0604 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:44 am

If the edge of the door evenly sits proud and the striker is double-click engaged, it may be that your striker needs to be shimmed out.  These shims are common and  should be available from Doug.

_Peter

Peter Cole

Post by Peter Cole » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:27 am

Hi, Whilst on the door alignment thread my doors don't close tightly because they are held way from the tub by the two rubber buffers on the front edge of the tub opening. On my car they lip around to the outside of the tub where they hold the door off the tub by around 3/16 inches. Is that normal, or do I have incorrect buffers? Regards and thanks Peter Cole
On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 at 20:08, 'Dr. Barry Simmons' bsdds@bellsouth.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] I have 1949 TC (#10159). The leading edge of my door (driver s side) protrudes 1/2 inch out from body. I have worked with the rear hinges to no avail. Shims have not solved my problem. I sure would appreciate any help with this problem from the group s members. My knowledge of body work is limited. Barry Simmons

Michael Ponsano

Post by Michael Ponsano » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 am

Check the alignment on the passenger door. Is there an even gap? I could be that the tub, not the door is out of alignment. If so, shimming the tub may take care of the problem.

Benny Grumer

Post by Benny Grumer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi Peter,

The gap  between the door and the tub on your car is the same as on my car. The rubber bumpers will always keep the door away

From the tube even more then the thickness of the bumper due to the spring back of the rubber. Not using the bumpers will cause rattle of the door .

Cheers

Benny

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 17759 (20180723) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com

Bill Hyatt

Post by Bill Hyatt » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 am

Dr. B ,

See http://www.mg-cars.info/mgtd-mgtf1500-bbs/using-turnbuckle-on-door-brace-2014011720142031026.htm

and https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?46,3749538

-Bill

TC 4926

Odessa Fl.

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]On Behalf Of [/b]'Dr. Barry Simmons' bsdds@bellsouth.net [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, July 21, 2018 3:08 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Door alignment