Master Cylinder Heat Shield

Neil Hewitson

Master Cylinder Heat Shield

Post by Neil Hewitson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:29 am

TC2656 is having the braking system replaced as part of a rebuild, its never had a master cylinder heat shield fitted. I have read that these can contribute to corrosion of the cylinder and would like the groups advice on whether to fit a heat shield or wrapping part of the exhaust in exhaust wrap will be sufficient in keeping the master cylinder cool. Thanks Neil Sent from my iPad

Norman Verona

Re: Master Cylinder Heat Shield

Post by Norman Verona » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Neil,

I lined the shield with heat resistant exhaust wrap rather than wrap the exhaust. If all surfaces are painted (I used POR15) then it should not rust.

[b][i]Norman Verona[/i][/b]

11 Cherry Close, Royston, South Yorkshire S71 4LZ

Phone: 0044 (0)1226 728811

Mob: 0044 (0)741 9905 741

[b][i]Web: www.frenchblat.com[/i][/b]

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] [b]On Behalf Of [/b]Neil Hewitson neilhewitson@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] 12 August 2017 19:30 [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Master Cylinder Heat Shield

TC2656 is having the braking system replaced as part of a rebuild, its never had a master cylinder heat shield fitted. I have read that these can contribute to corrosion of the cylinder and would like the groups advice on whether to fit a heat shield or wrapping part of the exhaust in exhaust wrap will be sufficient in keeping the master cylinder cool. Thanks Neil Sent from my iPad

Norman Verona

Post by Norman Verona » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Neil,

I lined the shield with heat resistant exhaust wrap rather than wrap the exhaust. If all surfaces are painted (I used POR15) then it should not rust.

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] [b]On Behalf Of [/b]Neil Hewitson neilhewitson@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] 12 August 2017 19:30 [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Master Cylinder Heat Shield

tim_jackson_tc0999

Post by tim_jackson_tc0999 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Attachments :
    [*][url=file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\PG Offline 4\Attachments\\IMG_8697-1.JPG]IMG_8697-1.JPG[/url]
Here's what  used

Norman Verona

Post by Norman Verona » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Neil,

Norman Verona

Post by Norman Verona » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Neil,

Norman Verona

Post by Norman Verona » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Neil,

Tim Bloomfield

Post by Tim Bloomfield » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello Neil. I believe the heat shield would have little if any effect on the corrosion of the master cylinder. To answer your question on which is more effective, wrapping the exhaust or wrapping the cylinder or installing a heat shield, all three methods should be just as effective. Personally, I like the metal shield. For comparison, look under modern cars and invariably there is a heat shield, mounted on the underside of the passenger compartment above the catalytic converter(s), mufflers, and the length of the exhaust system in its entirety on some models. The metal shield allows for airflow on both sides to take away heat. Regards, Tim Bloomfield TB0613 Hot and humid Louisiana

djedgar

Post by djedgar » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:52 pm

I don't mean to hijack this thread but right near the master cylinder is one trans mount and I have found that exhaust heat seems to do a number on the rubber there (or at least it did on my TC).  I have the M/C shield with a lining attached, which seems to work fine, but now made a shield for the trans mount to see if that helps.  Just some tin, but this thread made me wonder if wrapping the exhaust would be a better way to protect the mount. I had put in new trans mounts maybe 30 years ago and one side was like still brand new while the one near the exhaust was all mushy.  David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California

Benny Grumer

Post by Benny Grumer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 pm

The rust will accumulate on the inside of the brake reservoir due to water entering the reservoir. Heating the brake oil will evaporate the water….

Putting an heat shield on the reservoir is not a good idea. The original heat shield allowed some heat from the exhaust muffler to reach the oil container …..

The original shield should be kept.

Regard

Benny

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 15905 (20170812) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com