Car transportation from East Coast

Jennifer and Hugh Pite

Car transportation from East Coast

Post by Jennifer and Hugh Pite » Thu May 02, 2002 8:35 am

I recently purchased a '54 TF in Greensboro, NC and need to have the car transported to the West Coast. This would not be a problem except the car is dismantled and I cannot find a transporter that will deliver the car for a reasonable sum. I was quoted $3800! Does anyone have any ideas? Alternately, I could drive out there (2900 miles) with my van and small trailer and pick it up. If I do this I would be going East empty and could transport some parts with me if anyone has something that is too big and awkward for UPS that needs to go in this direction. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Hugh Pite in B.C., Canada [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

capaciousmg@aol.com

Re: Car transportation from East Coast

Post by capaciousmg@aol.com » Thu May 02, 2002 9:50 am

Hugh Have you considered having it crated and shipped via an LTL, such as yellow freight Joe Potter In a message dated 5/2/2002 8:41:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, jenntoo@shaw.ca writes:
> I recently purchased a '54 TF in Greensboro, NC and need to have the car > transported to the West Coast. This would not be a problem except the car > is dismantled and I cannot find a transporter that will deliver the car for > a reasonable sum. I was quoted $3800! Does anyone have any ideas? > Alternately, I could drive out there (2900 miles) with my van and > small trailer and pick it up. If I do this I would be going East empty and > could transport some parts with me if anyone has something that is too big > and awkward for UPS that needs to go in this direction. > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. > Regards, Hugh Pite in B.C., Canada >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Diecuts@aol.com

Post by Diecuts@aol.com » Thu May 02, 2002 7:45 pm

Hi, One option I used once that worked great was to fly to the car, rent a one-way 'U-Haul' moving van 12 to 14 foot, depending on how disassembled it is, push it in, tie it down, throw everything else on top, and cruise home. A little dickering on price may lower it but I would not mention that you are hauling a car. Just antique car parts. Another thought is to find a trucker returning empty, but the rental option gives you more control on how careful the parts are conveyed and handled if you have the time to make the trip. Cheers, Lee Jacobsen, TA2969 Tickford.

AJChalmers@aol.com

Post by AJChalmers@aol.com » Thu May 02, 2002 9:41 pm

In a message dated 5/2/02 8:16:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, diecuts@aol.com writes:
> rent a one-way 'U-Haul' moving van 12 to 14 foot
That's how I got my TA home - granted it was only San Jose to San Francisco tho :-) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Want1937hd@aol.com

Post by Want1937hd@aol.com » Thu May 02, 2002 10:19 pm

Just pray that nothing goes wrong. It is stated in the fine print that you can't transport cars inside rental trucks. Bob TC4956
> > rent a one-way 'U-Haul' moving van 12 to 14 foot > > That's how I got my TA home - granted it was only San Jose to San Francisco > > tho :-)
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Edward Dunn

Post by Edward Dunn » Fri May 03, 2002 1:16 am

Hugh, A relatively simple solution might be to fly to Greensboro, and rent a U-Haul / Ryder truck. Put the whole mess in the truck, and drive home in three days... Sounds like a good road adventure to me. Ed
> I recently purchased a '54 TF in Greensboro, NC and need to have the car
transported to the West Coast. This would not be a problem except the car is dismantled and I cannot find a transporter that will deliver the car for a Alternately, >
> > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

candahill@worldnet.att.net

Post by candahill@worldnet.att.net » Fri May 03, 2002 6:15 am

I keep thinking about the episode of MASH where Radar mailed a Jeep from Korea to Iowa a piece at a time. Charles Hill

Carlyle Merritt

Fw: [mg-tabc] Car transportation from East Coast

Post by Carlyle Merritt » Fri May 03, 2002 6:37 am

I purchased a TF in Southern US - flew there and the person I got the TF from loaded the car on a rental truck and returned to Iowa - worked great. Sure beats pulling a trailer across the US twice. Would not do it any other way. That's 1 way rental. Look for some cheep tickets to anywhere on the east coast and rent your truck and go after it. Carlyle Merritt
----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Dunn" eedunn@adelphia.net> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>; "Jennifer and Hugh Pite" jenntoo@shaw.ca> Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 3:15 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Car transportation from East Coast

Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson » Fri May 03, 2002 7:11 am

Okay, but if its in pieces, when does something stop being a car and become car parts? Martin TC3586 -----Original Message----- From: Want1937hd@aol.com [mailto:Want1937hd@aol.com] Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 10:19 PM To: AJChalmers@aol.com; Diecuts@aol.com; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Car transportation from East Coast Just pray that nothing goes wrong. It is stated in the fine print that you can't transport cars inside rental trucks. Bob TC4956
> > rent a one-way 'U-Haul' moving van 12 to 14 foot > > That's how I got my TA home - granted it was only San Jose to San
Francisco
> > tho :-)
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

i.thomson@talk21.com

Re: Fw: [mg-tabc] Car transportation from East Coast

Post by i.thomson@talk21.com » Fri May 03, 2002 7:41 am

And I always thought that you colonials had a devil may care attitude to distance from living in the big country. Hell, what's 3,000 miles anyway. Ian T. -----
> I purchased a TF in Southern US - flew there and the person I got the TF >from >loaded the car on a rental truck and returned to Iowa - worked great. Sure >beats >pulling a trailer across the US twice. Would not do it any other way. >That's 1 way rental. Look for some cheep tickets to anywhere on the east >coast and rent your truck and go after it. > >Carlyle Merritt >
-------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at http://www.talk21.com