clock

Badger

clock

Post by Badger » Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:37 am

A public service announcement by Badger who has nothing to gain from this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1814620830&r=0&t=0

KEN PORTER

Clock

Post by KEN PORTER » Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:06 am

Hi All: Not to long ago we had a thread running about the TC clock and how to add atransistor etc. I contacted Hal Kramer who wrote the original article in the Sacred Octagon and asked him if he still repaired clocks. Below is a copy of his reply. Hi Ken, Yes, I still repair MG clocks and will be glad to take care of yours. The cost to clean, oil and regulate is $40.00 plus return S&H of $5.00. I also recommended a transistor mod that I install to extend the life of these clock at a cost of $20.00. None of the internal mechanism is changed nor removed. These prices assume that there are not any parts that need to be replaced and the coil does not need to be rewound. Both these are somewhat rare but if I find a problem I'll e-mail you with cost info before I perform the work. Turn around time is presently running about a week and a half. My mail address is: Hal Kramer 99 Bellmore Drive Pittsfield, MA 01201 Hal I sent my clock which had not run for over two years to Hal for repair. I received it back in a bit over 11 days. Not only is it running but it keeps perfect time, there is not a minute variation in the past five days. And it's nice to have the ticking sound back. Ken TC 4147

Bullwinkle

Re: Clock

Post by Bullwinkle » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:02 pm

All; You can get a copy of the article I wrote which was printed in "TSO" about how to clean the clock yourself. http://www.members.nvc.net/yd3/clock.pdf Blake

Donald Wilkinson

Post by Donald Wilkinson » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:44 pm

Hey Blake: That's really NEATO!!!!!!!!! I printed that puppy & stuck it straight in my TC file folder. I recently scored (eBay) an ultrasonic cleaner. It's 5 1/2 gallon, heated, runs @ 40KHz, & I can get 2 or in a pinch 3 totally disassembled like 2" SU's in there. Have been experimenting with aqueous solutions of heavy duty cleaners from like Home Depot, such as a product called ZEP Formula 505, dumped the whole gallon in there, filled with H2O. Branson's stuff is a little pricey & difficult to get. Home Depot has other products, some with caustic soda, but haven't tried them yet; little apprehensive how Alumunum (aluminium) or zinc pot metal might like this hot solution; (it's maintained between 50 & 60 deg. C). Jewelers have smaller versions of these. Wonder how yer clocks (or mine) might fare in there. Hafta try it. Don TC 7993 All; You can get a copy of the article I wrote which was printed in "TSO" about how to clean the clock yourself. http://www.members.nvc.net/yd3/clock.pdf Blake _________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

MGTC1946@aol.com

Clock

Post by MGTC1946@aol.com » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:48 pm

The instrument mechanic who recently worked on the clock of my TC advised me that I might want to insert a cut off switch in my clock circuit for use when the car is not in frequent use. He explained to me that when the car is running, the clock is running on slightly greater voltage than when not in use, thus resulting in burning contacts when not being used. Being a bit of a purist when it comes to the TC, I reasoned that disconnecting the battery at those times when the car is not seeing daily use would accomplish the same task as a switch. But either way, I will have to deal with the underdash panel to access the starting plunger on the back of the clock to reset and restart the clock, not a very desirable prospect. Cutting an access hole in the underdash panel is also not terribly appealing. How did the designers of this vehicle intend for owners to deal with this situation? Surely, I overlook the obvious. How do TA owners deal with the 8 day clock and the underdash panel? [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

sculptart@aol.com

Post by sculptart@aol.com » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:07 pm

In a message dated 6/12/03 7:51:25 PM Mountain Daylight Time, MGTC1946@aol.com writes:
> ...I will have to deal with the underdash panel to access the > starting plunger on the back of the clock to reset and restart the clock, > not a > very desirable prospect. > > The TC should have a reset knob that protrudes below the dash panel. The TD > has the clock reset behind the unit. You might have one of these... > Transistorizing the points on the clock will lessen the wear and is a modern > improvement well worth the time. The clock functions exactly as before, and will last > longer. > > My best, Ben Cordsen, TC 4260...ticking into the future. > > Ben, TC 4260
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Alan Webster

Post by Alan Webster » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:20 am

--- In mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com, MGTC1946@a... wrote: How do TA > owners deal with the 8 day clock and the underdash panel? I have the underdash panel fitted to my TA (and the 8 day clock in the revcounter) the knurled knob on the winder / adjuster stem pokes through a 12 mm hole cut in the underdash panel, I just wind it up once a week. The same the other side for the trip reset knob. (the TA clock is clockwork not electric) Alan Webster UK TA 3239

R. Zwart

Post by R. Zwart » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:23 am

You MUST drive it EVERY day to keep the clock running BOB MGTC1946@aol.com wrote:
>The instrument mechanic who recently worked on the clock of my TC advised me >that I might want to insert a cut off switch in my clock circuit for use when >the car is not in frequent use. He explained to me that when the car is >running, the clock is running on slightly greater voltage than when not in use, >thus resulting in burning contacts when not being used. > >Being a bit of a purist when it comes to the TC, I reasoned that >disconnecting the battery at those times when the car is not seeing daily use would >accomplish the same task as a switch. > >But either way, I will have to deal with the underdash panel to access the >starting plunger on the back of the clock to reset and restart the clock, not a >very desirable prospect. Cutting an access hole in the underdash panel is >also not terribly appealing. How did the designers of this vehicle intend for >owners to deal with this situation? Surely, I overlook the obvious. How do TA >owners deal with the 8 day clock and the underdash panel? > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > >

Clem

Clock

Post by Clem » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:01 am

Hello out there, thanks for the replies re rev. counter. My next question is how is the clock earthed? Thanks, Clem [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

banjomey2@aol.com

Clock

Post by banjomey2@aol.com » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:13 am

Hi Clem, "+" goes to dashlamp + , "-" to inspection lamp plug socket -, Rgds, Peter Peter "Banjo" Meyer TC 9027, 1949 Morgan +4, 1965 TR 3A, 1959 Rilye TT Sprite Special, 1935 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]