TA clutch

Brian Rainbow

TA clutch

Post by Brian Rainbow » Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:25 am

I have been told that Charles Cantrill & Co Ltd, Carver Street, Birmingham are very good at re-corking TA clutches, their number is 0121-236-4169. I did see an advert a few weeks ago by Barry Walker, advertising TA clutches recorked, 85 exchange. With regard to the big circlip that goes round the 3 pins, I have no idea where you will get one of those from. When I rebuilt my TA engine a couple of years ago, there wasn't one fitted to the car yet the clutch had been working fine. I had a spare clutch with the big circlip, so on assembly I fitted it. If you can't get one don't worry use 3 washers and 3 individual small circlips or use stainless steel locking wire across the 3 pins... Best wishes, Brian Rainbow Leamington Spa, U.K. TA2551 and PA0777

i.thomson@talk21.com

TA Clutch

Post by i.thomson@talk21.com » Fri May 30, 2003 2:58 am

TA Clutch and flywheel on EBAY, brake drums as well. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2417005832&category=27380 -------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at http://www.talk21.com

Dean Jensen

TA Clutch

Post by Dean Jensen » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:01 pm

I am in need of a new or used "Clutch withdrawal shaft", for a TA, which I believe the original part number is, MG 706/290. I would like to buy or borrow the clutch shaft. I am not concerned about the condition of the shaft as long as it has not been modified. This is the shaft that the arm goes on, that is in the clutch housing/bell housing. Someone has replaced the one that I have, with one that is not correct. Or if you know where one could be purchased that would also be helpful. I am in the states, if someone has one that I could barrow, and they are overseas, I have no problems in paying for the postage. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dean Jensen

Re: TA Clutch

Post by Dean Jensen » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:17 pm

That is suppose to be borrow not barrow, sorry about that Dean -----Original Message----- From: Dean Jensen [mailto:djensen@accessus.net] Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 8:01 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] TA Clutch I am in need of a new or used "Clutch withdrawal shaft", for a TA, which I believe the original part number is, MG 706/290. I would like to buy or borrow the clutch shaft. I am not concerned about the condition of the shaft as long as it has not been modified. This is the shaft that the arm goes on, that is in the clutch housing/bell housing. Someone has replaced the one that I have, with one that is not correct. Or if you know where one could be purchased that would also be helpful. I am in the states, if someone has one that I could barrow, and they are overseas, I have no problems in paying for the postage. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

fnitz

Post by fnitz » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:29 pm

Dean, We're car guys not typists or perfect spellers. Sorry I can't help. Fred TC1353 -----Original Message----- From: Dean Jensen [mailto:djensen@accessus.net] Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 6:17 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] TA Clutch That is suppose to be borrow not barrow, sorry about that Dean -----Original Message----- From: Dean Jensen [mailto:djensen@accessus.net] Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 8:01 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] TA Clutch I am in need of a new or used "Clutch withdrawal shaft", for a TA, which I believe the original part number is, MG 706/290. I would like to buy or borrow the clutch shaft. I am not concerned about the condition of the shaft as long as it has not been modified. This is the shaft that the arm goes on, that is in the clutch housing/bell housing. Someone has replaced the one that I have, with one that is not correct. Or if you know where one could be purchased that would also be helpful. I am in the states, if someone has one that I could barrow, and they are overseas, I have no problems in paying for the postage. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

BDavis

TA Clutch

Post by BDavis » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:28 am

Hi Group... A couple of days ago when I started to back out of the garage in the TA -when I pressed in the clutch peddle and attempted to shift into 3rd (and 4th) gear(s) prior to going into Reverse- there was an awful clashing of gears. This happened once each when I went into both 3rd and 4th. Afterwards the clutch worked normally and there was no crunching of those two synchronized gears. Same thing happened today. Once those gears have been engaged a time (or two) it operates normally. Sounds to me like something's about worn out !!! Anyone experence this before? For what it's worth... the TA has a wet clutch. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas! Bill Davis Nashville __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB messages! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Roger Muir

Post by Roger Muir » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:52 am

Hi Bill Had your car been standing for sometime? The cork clutch can on occasions 'stick' to the flywheel or clutch. Usually after after few minutes running the oil warming etc. matters improve. My MPJG'd TA has a similar problem after standing for long periods. Roger Muir .on 18/8/04 3:28 pm, BDavis at bdavispics@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Group... > A couple of days ago when I started to back out of the garage in the TA > -when I pressed in the clutch peddle and attempted to shift into 3rd > (and 4th) gear(s) prior to going into Reverse- there was an awful > clashing of gears. > This happened once each when I went into both 3rd and 4th. Afterwards > the clutch worked normally and there was no crunching of those two > synchronized gears. > > Same thing happened today. Once those gears have been engaged a time > (or two) it operates normally. > > Sounds to me like something's about worn out !!! > Anyone experence this before? > For what it's worth... the TA has a wet clutch. > Thanks for any thoughts or ideas! > > Bill Davis > Nashville > > > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB messages! > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >

1939mgtb@comcast.net

Post by 1939mgtb@comcast.net » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:40 am

I used a hickory stick spacer to slightly dis-engage the clutch during long stands on another car with a cork in oil clutch with good results. The pressure plate didn't seem to care.. Ray -- Lingua speciem involutam praebet, sed sat cito eam comprehendes. Atque memento, nulli adsunt Romanorum qui locutionem tuam corrigant. -------------- Original message --------------
> Hi Bill > > Had your car been standing for sometime? > > The cork clutch can on occasions 'stick' to the flywheel or clutch. > > Usually after after few minutes running the oil warming etc. matters > improve. > > My MPJG'd TA has a similar problem after standing for long periods. > > > Roger Muir > > > > .on 18/8/04 3:28 pm, BDavis at bdavispics@yahoo.com wrote: > > > Hi Group... > > A couple of days ago when I started to back out of the garage in the TA > > -when I pressed in the clutch peddle and attempted to shift into 3rd > > (and 4th) gear(s) prior to going into Reverse- there was an awful > > clashing of gears. > > This happened once each when I went into both 3rd and 4th. Afterwards > > the clutch worked normally and there was no crunching of those two > > synchronized gears. > > > > Same thing happened today. Once those gears have been engaged a time > > (or two) it operates normally. > > > > Sounds to me like something's about worn out !!! > > Anyone experence this before? > > For what it's worth... the TA has a wet clutch. > > Thanks for any thoughts or ideas! > > > > Bill Davis > > Nashville > > > > > > > > __________________________________ > > Do you Yahoo!? > > New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB messages! > > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Robert F.Butson.

TA Clutch

Post by Robert F.Butson. » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:25 pm

Anyone out there know where I can get the twelve springs for a TA clutch? also where the castleated nuts for the bigendscan be obtained. With thanks......Bob.

Brian Rainbow

TA clutch

Post by Brian Rainbow » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:41 am

Jan,         I have never heard of a TA clutch stuck open,  There are 12 bloody stiff coil springs to return it! If it is stuck open, then you really ought to take the clutch apart and replace the springs. Have a look at www.billdavis.org under clutch/flywheel, there is really nothing that would hold it open. Did you replace the clutch thrust bearing when you put the engine/gearbox back together. If so did you make sure that the bearing thrust face was in the correct position. On the TA the clutch operating fork pulls the bearing backwards (as opposed to pushing it forward on an XPAG) so the thrust face must face forward. If you have it the wrong way round the thrust bearing may have collapsed...   Regards, Brian Rainbow TA2551 Leamington Spa, U.K.