Datsun steering

Jennifer and Hugh Pite

Datsun steering

Post by Jennifer and Hugh Pite » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:34 am

Hi, I see there has been a lot of discussion (again!) about the Datsun conversion. What is the advantage, if any, over the VW conversion. Looking at Bill Bollendonk's write-up on the VW conversion it looks like it would be an easier and less expensive conversion than the Datsun one. Also the North American VW box will work on the RHS and still can be purchased new. Hugh Pite

DAVID DARRELL

Re: Datsun steering

Post by DAVID DARRELL » Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:53 pm

I am just putting the finishing touches to a VW steering conversion for the TA/TC. I had a great deal of information from Lothar Zissell and the conversion is quite easy but does need some engineering to make it safe . I was hoping to market it with all new parts but have not been able to find a source of cheap VW drop arms so i am having to use pre owned ones. When finished it will be a direct bolt on replacement with all new parts (except drop arm) and does not look very much different to a BC with Tomkins conversion It will be available in about 4 weeks price not set yet because i do not know how much the spline cutting for the telescopic end will cost. The difference in steering has to be felt and it makes the car feel very much more controlable. Yes i prefer the BC box but only when i drive the TA on a regular basis because i find it takes at least 30 miles to get used to its peculiar aim and hope action otherwise the VW beats it hands down. Anyone who is interested email me off line and i will be back in touch when complete with a price probably about 250 - 300 David
----- Original Message ----- From: Jennifer and Hugh Pite jenntoo@shaw.ca> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 5:34 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] Datsun steering > Hi, I see there has been a lot of discussion (again!) about the Datsun > conversion. What is the advantage, if any, over the VW conversion. Looking > at Bill Bollendonk's write-up on the VW conversion it looks like it would be > an easier and less expensive conversion than the Datsun one. Also the North > American VW box will work on the RHS and still can be purchased new. > Hugh Pite > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:10 pm

Hi guys, I made up a Bollendonk kit VW steering box kit, and used it while the TB was waiting for parts to fix the original box. It worked great! You do have to cut two ears off the steering arm, then heat and bend, then heat treat the arm. The VW arm is really robust! I have the drawings (somewhere) to make the bits to install the column to the box, and to connect the steering shaft to the box's input shaft. I used a junk TC shaft, and sliced and diced it since the splines cost a LOT to have put on by a machine shop. I have to confess that I had to think long and hard about going back to the original when it was done...but I'm a dog on that TB's originality! I think the whole thing, with a new steering box, tie rod end (new), the column (used), machine work, materials, etc. was about $300 total. As you may know, the angle of the box is a little different TA,B-TC and the way the kit is set up, it accommodates them all. If you have a early TA with the slotted shaft, it is even easier- you use a piece of tubing and don't have to buy a used column. Best Regards, Ray "Remember- It's the collision with the planet that counts!"
----- Original Message ----- From: "DAVID DARRELL" DAVID@ddarrell.freeserve.co.uk> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 3:55 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Datsun steering > I am just putting the finishing touches to a VW steering conversion for the > TA/TC. > I had a great deal of information from Lothar Zissell and the conversion is > quite easy but does need some engineering to make it safe . > I was hoping to market it with all new parts but have not been able to find > a source of cheap VW drop arms so i am having to use pre owned ones. > When finished it will be a direct bolt on replacement with all new parts > (except drop arm) and does not look very much different to a BC with Tomkins > conversion > It will be available in about 4 weeks price not set yet because i do not > know how much the spline cutting for the telescopic end will cost. > The difference in steering has to be felt and it makes the car feel very > much more controlable. > Yes i prefer the BC box but only when i drive the TA on a regular basis > because i find it takes at least 30 miles to get used to its peculiar aim > and hope action otherwise the VW beats it hands down. > Anyone who is interested email me off line and i will be back in touch when > complete with a price probably about 250 - 300 > > David > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Jennifer and Hugh Pite jenntoo@shaw.ca> > To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 5:34 PM > Subject: [mg-tabc] Datsun steering > > > > Hi, I see there has been a lot of discussion (again!) about the Datsun > > conversion. What is the advantage, if any, over the VW conversion. > Looking > > at Bill Bollendonk's write-up on the VW conversion it looks like it would > be > > an easier and less expensive conversion than the Datsun one. Also the > North > > American VW box will work on the RHS and still can be purchased new. > > Hugh Pite > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

banjomey2@aol.com

Datsun steering

Post by banjomey2@aol.com » Tue May 01, 2007 8:40 am

Hi Bud, when I bought my TC in 1999 the steering was absolutely horrible!!! It scared me because the on right cornering the steering even blocked now and then. As I did not have any experience with this kind of steering I took the steering out and brought it to my friend Mike Sander, who specialized in T-Types since the early 60s. To make this story short - Mike overhauled the steering and the TC runs absolutely straight, no problems whatsoever. This proved to me that a steering overhaul done by the right man and you don't need a Datsun or VW conversion. Rgds, Peter Peter "Banjo" Meyer TC 9027, 1949 Morgan +4, 1965 TR 3A, 1959 Rilye TT Sprite Special, 1935 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

CasioCZ1

Post by CasioCZ1 » Tue May 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Peter, Your proof has been validated by this driver's experience. TC2481's recent chassis-up restoration included new spring bushings, rebuilt shocks, new ball-joints, and a Phil Marino rebuild of the original Tompkins equipped BC box with needle bearings and chromed sector shaft. The steering has minimal play and tracks great. Yes, it's heavy at low speeds and parking, but that's the trade-off for the wonderfully quick steering It's also a vintage car. I owned my first TC in college during the 1950s. To buy it, I sold a 1927 LaSalle roadster; now there was heavy steering. Tom Pike TC 2481 on 5/1/07 10:23 AM, banjomey2@aol.com at banjomey2@aol.com wrote: Hi Bud, when I bought my TC in 1999 the steering was absolutely horrible!!! It scared me because the on right cornering the steering even blocked now and then. As I did not have any experience with this kind of steering I took the steering out and brought it to my friend Mike Sander, who specialized in T-Types since the early 60s. To make this story short - Mike overhauled the steering and the TC runs absolutely straight, no problems whatsoever. This proved to me that a steering overhaul done by the right man and you don't need a Datsun or VW conversion. Rgds, Peter Peter "Banjo" Meyer TC 9027, 1949 Morgan +4, 1965 TR 3A, 1959 Rilye TT Sprite Special, 1935 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Zernial

Datsun steering

Post by Zernial » Sat May 05, 2007 1:30 am

Hi all, I bought 3 Datsun Steering boxes about 3 years ago. At that time I could contact him using jbeng@bigpond.com or jbowles@bordernet.com.au. I took 3 to 6 months to get them to Europe but it s worth waiting. I paid about 650 $Aus. Best Peter TC 1541 Germany [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

mke.castle

Datsun Steering

Post by mke.castle » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:33 am

Bought a box from Bill Harkins years ago. The steering had a lot of play which I dealt with being its a TC. I rebuilt the original put it back in the car and now want to rebuild the Datsun box which I tore into last night and have a few questions on how this things suppose to be properly set up.

Allan Chalmers

Datsun Steering

Post by Allan Chalmers » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Just installed my second Datsun - this time on a TA, which required re-fabricating the mounting. Norman Tuck, from the list, was instrumental in getting this done. It looks good, doesn;t clash with the XPAG at all and required only removing the brake line bracket. Then a steel plate was fabricated and mounted between the original bracket holes and the brake bracket holes. The aluminium adapter, from OZ, had to be trimmed to allow for the 1/4" steel mounting plate. A milling machine is most helpful. Getting the brake bracket rivets off was challenging, cuz of 75 years rust. A question though, for Datsun box folk, what lubricant goes in the box? I confess I have never checked the box on the TC! Allan Chalmers TA, TC San Francisco [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

KEN PORTER

Re: Datsun Steering

Post by KEN PORTER » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Allan, I've been using 90 weight gear oil in my Datsun box for the last 13 years without a problem. I believe this was what was recommended when I purchased the box. Ken Porter TC4147 Manchester NH

BUD SILVERS

Re: Datsun Steering

Post by BUD SILVERS » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Hello all; For your information, the VW steering box uses grease, not oil. I still have a few for sale, ready to ship. If you have interest, please inquire off list to mgtc@usaviator.net. Thanks and have a great day. Bud Silvers From: Ken Porter [mailto:kwcp@comcast.net] Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 7:49 PM To: Allan Chalmers Cc: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Datsun Steering Allan, I've been using 90 weight gear oil in my Datsun box for the last 13 years without a problem. I believe this was what was recommended when I purchased the box. Ken Porter TC4147 Manchester NH [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]