Electronic Fuel Pumps

Alan Garner

Electronic Fuel Pumps

Post by Alan Garner » Thu Feb 14, 2002 7:52 am

I have been reading the e-mails from people who are considering changing to an electronic pump from Burlen. I would urge extreme caution before they decide. Two years ago I bought an electronic pump from Burlen for my 1946 T.C. On the second short test drive the pump gave up its ghost! Living close to the Burlen outfit, I took it back. They were very helpful and replaced the pump. On the second short test drive the pump gave up its ghost. I returned it and the helpful people allowed me to watch the pump being tested. It showed no fault!!! However, they did suggest that there might be hairline cracks in the electronic board which show up either under pressure or heat. It is true to say that at the time of both failures the pump felt unnaturally warm. Needless to say they replaced the pump which sits on a shelf in my garage in all its pristine glory- there is no way I can trust it. I just replace the points occasionally and carry a hammer! Incidentally, I know of two other people who have similar experiences. Happy MotorinG could -- Boss

Ray

Re: Electronic Fuel Pumps

Post by Ray » Thu Feb 14, 2002 9:41 am

I have had the same experience with the MGB version, but the second one worked and works. Tossup, I guess.... Best Regards, Ray "Remember- It's the collision with the planet that counts!"
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Garner" boss@waitrose.com> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 9:50 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] Electronic Fuel Pumps > I have been reading the e-mails from people who are considering changing to > an electronic pump from Burlen. I would urge extreme caution before they > decide. Two years ago I bought an electronic pump from Burlen for my 1946 > T.C. On the second short test drive the pump gave up its ghost! Living > close to the Burlen outfit, I took it back. They were very helpful and > replaced the pump. On the second short test drive the pump gave up its > ghost. I returned it and the helpful people allowed me to watch the pump > being tested. It showed no fault!!! However, they did suggest that there > might be hairline cracks in the electronic board which show up either > under pressure or heat. It is true to say that at the time of both > failures the pump felt unnaturally warm. Needless to say they replaced the > pump which sits on a shelf in my garage in all its pristine glory- there > is no way I can trust it. I just replace the points occasionally and carry > a hammer! > Incidentally, I know of two other people who have similar experiences. > Happy MotorinG > could > > -- > Boss > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

joecurto@aol.com

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:08 am

About 2 years ago the electronic pumps were having trouble, I understand that they have been corrected, as for putting the electronic parts onto an old pump, if the diaphragm is old and stiff (oxymoron) then it will not work also if the solenoid is bad it will also not work. If all is good than it will work. The new pump is actually not that expensive about 150.00 USD from Moss and others (me and Skip) only thing is that the cap is different, so if you add all the costs and have a solenoid in unknown condition it may be more cost effective just to buy a new pump, as the body casting is the same. Joe Curto

Victoria Vernon

Post by Victoria Vernon » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:46 am

Hi out there,
what about simply installing a transistor, diode and resister to your already working pump? I have done this satisfactorily to mine and there are no sparks and the pump works well.
Clem

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:28 am

Clem says:
>what about simply installing a transistor, diode and resister to your already working pump? I have done this satisfactorily to mine and there are no sparks and the pump works well.
A link to the modification that Clem mentions above is: http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/pump_pos.htm I haven't tried it myself (yet) but thanks, Clem, for letting me know it works. Gene

Robert Kampas

Post by Robert Kampas » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:28 pm

The link mentioned below references an article by Dave DuBois. Dave has been active in the Northwest MG Register for twenty five years and has just retired. But I believe that he still works on fuel pumps and will install the transistior modification for a modest price. He did mine, although I havn't finished the restoration of my TC yet so I can't tell you how well the pump works. The workmanship however is first rate. You could reach him @ ddubois@sinclair.net and ask for details. Cheers, Bob Kampas -----Original Message----- From: Gene Gillam [mailto:anngene@bellsouth.net] Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 6:30 AM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: Re: [mg-tabc] Electronic Fuel Pumps Clem says:
>what about simply installing a transistor, diode and resister to your
already working pump? I have done this satisfactorily to mine and there are no sparks and the pump works well.http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/pump_pos.htm I haven't tried it myself (yet) but thanks, Clem, for letting me know it works. Gene Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Walter Prechsl privat

Electronic Fuel Pumps

Post by Walter Prechsl privat » Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:34 pm

and here a positive opinon: i drive the burlen eletronic pump on my MGA since 2 years without any problem. as i were in need of a new pump i bought the electronic version. my mechanical pump on the TC was modified with a diode sice some years walter ________________________________________________ Message: 2 Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:50:58 +0000 (GMT) From: Alan Garner boss@waitrose.com> Subject: Electronic Fuel Pumps I have been reading the e-mails from people who are considering changing to an electronic pump from Burlen. I would urge extreme caution before they decide. Two years ago I bought an electronic pump from Burlen for my 1946 T.C. On the second short test drive the pump gave up its ghost! Living close to the Burlen outfit, I took it back. They were very helpful and replaced the pump. On the second short test drive the pump gave up its ghost. I returned it and the helpful people allowed me to watch the pump being tested. It showed no fault!!! However, they did suggest that there might be hairline cracks in the electronic board which show up either under pressure or heat. It is true to say that at the time of both failures the pump felt unnaturally warm. Needless to say they replaced the pump which sits on a shelf in my garage in all its pristine glory- there is no way I can trust it. I just replace the points occasionally and carry a hammer! Incidentally, I know of two other people who have similar experiences. Happy MotorinG could -- Boss

Jetten

Post by Jetten » Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:00 pm

I bought an electronic SU pump from Burlen for my TC in 2000 and have covered 5000 troublefree km's since. Of course I expect much more of it, but there were no early failures so far (touch wood). I will try the transistor modification on the original pump, as described on the jag-lovers website. best regards, Wim Jetten Alan Garner schrieb:
> I have been reading the e-mails from people who are considering changing to > an electronic pump from Burlen. I would urge extreme caution before they > decide. Two years ago I bought an electronic pump from Burlen for my 1946 > T.C. On the second short test drive the pump gave up its ghost! Living > close to the Burlen outfit, I took it back. They were very helpful and > replaced the pump. On the second short test drive the pump gave up its > ghost. I returned it and the helpful people allowed me to watch the pump > being tested. It showed no fault!!! However, they did suggest that there > might be hairline cracks in the electronic board which show up either > under pressure or heat. It is true to say that at the time of both > failures the pump felt unnaturally warm. Needless to say they replaced the > pump which sits on a shelf in my garage in all its pristine glory- there > is no way I can trust it. I just replace the points occasionally and carry > a hammer! > Incidentally, I know of two other people who have similar experiences. > Happy MotorinG > could > > -- > Boss > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/