TA Gear Lever and its removal.

Jonty & Alison Ellis

Post by Jonty & Alison Ellis » Wed Sep 19, 2001 3:47 am

Hi guys Like all god's children, I need help. I want to replace my sawn-off, rusty stump-of-a-gearlever with a recently acquired and rechromed full sized one. I find that the gearlever is located and retained in position by a pair of lateral press-fitted pins. These do not seem readily removable. Does anyone have any experience in removing and refitting a gearlever in a TA? If all else fails, I propose to drill the pins out, thread the resulting hole, and construct a threaded stud whose distal end will emulate that of the pin. Any help will be much appreciated. Another small point, my old (it's so decrepit it must be the original) gearbox cover has, for the want of a better word, a rubber gaiter for the gear lever. In section it is waisted. The lower part locates within the cover and the upper part above, with the gearlever sticking up through an appropriate sized hole. Does anyone remanufacture these? Cheers Jonty Ellis TA3416 AHBN2

joecurto@aol.com

Re: TA Gear Lever and its removal.

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Wed Sep 19, 2001 6:27 am

Jonty if the TA is like the TD/TF they used a pin that then they peened over the surronding aluminum to retain them, you have to file away the aluminum to expose the full size of the pin(1/4) and then go in from the top by the base and we insert a narrow blade screwdriver into the slot between the ball and the pin and then you pull the lever over to the side to pop out the pin. Joe

Bill Traill

Post by Bill Traill » Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:02 am

Hi Jonty, Follow Joe Curto's instructions on removal of the pins. On replacement I recommend securing the pins with a little bit of epoxy over the outside where the aluminum was originally peened over. In the future the epoxy can be easily ground out to remove the pins. I did this repair in 1970 and the epoxy is still tight and secure. Bill Traill DCO: TC#5221