Spark Plugs

Sally Carroll

Spark Plugs

Post by Sally Carroll » Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:26 pm

Dear Group: I need advice. In My 'fleet' are a TF1500 and a TC both of which seem to "load up" their spark plugs rather too often resulting in rough running. 'In the old days' my husband would have obtained hotter plugs and put them in, but in todays market we are lucky to find a cross reference for one heat range. Since I haven't had the experience except to be told what to order when Jim was alive, and the NAPA store isn't much help, . . . . Do we have a table accessible to use for shopping? That is, if I have a list of suitable range varieties to fit I can explore a selection of suppliers. Rather better than asking for plugs to fit the vehicle, often not even in the catalogs at parts stores. FYI I'm a 66 year old widow who changes her own oil and plugs. Sally Carroll . . . {=^.^=} 48 TC 52 YB 55 TF 1500 60 MGA 1600 71 MGBGT and a 59 Morris Pickup

joecurto@aol.com

Re: Spark Plugs

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Thu Jul 12, 2001 5:00 am

Sally first off you should make sure that the rest of the ignition system is in top shape, if needed a new Lucas Sports coil which puts out a nice spark as well as new points or one of the Pertronix electronic ignitions, than address the carburetors, float level, condition of the jets etc. Under normal circumstances if all is right and the engine (no worn valve guides, low compression) is good, fouling should not be an issue. I had a local fellow with similar problems and after we did all of the above the problem still persisted when it turns out that he is driving local in 4th gear at about 20 MPH, and shifting at about 2000 . So also chose to run around 3000 to 3500 RPM in what ever gear (do not blow up the motor) and see if the problem persists. Joe Curto

oldmgdoc@aol.com

Post by oldmgdoc@aol.com » Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:36 pm

Sally, Use NGK B5HS in the TC and NGK BP5ES which is the hotter plug in the TF. THe normal plug is BP6ES. I have had very good luck with this plugs. Mike Goodman

Skip Kelsey

Post by Skip Kelsey » Fri Jul 13, 2001 8:21 am

Mike: I was wondering why you recommend standard tip plugs B5HS, in the TC, and then the projected tip plugBP5ES, as the hotter plug. It has been my experience with the TC thru the TF, to use the non-projected tip plug in all. Either the B6HS , short reach, or the B6ES long reach plug as appropriate. I have always felt that the projected tip plug stuck down into the cylinder to far, and was a hot spot , especially if the cyl. head had been clipped a lot, as alot of them have. What are your feelings on this. Cheers: Skip Kelsey................................. At 10:36 PM 7/12/01 -0400, oldmgdoc@aol.com wrote:
>Sally, Use NGK B5HS in the TC and NGK BP5ES which is the hotter plug in the >TF. THe normal plug is BP6ES. I have had very good luck with this plugs. >Mike Goodman >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

oldmgdoc@aol.com

Post by oldmgdoc@aol.com » Fri Jul 13, 2001 7:37 pm

Skip, I have tried them all and this is what works best for me. Thanks, Mike

JohnHWSteedman@aol.com

Post by JohnHWSteedman@aol.com » Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:23 am

The best piece on spark plugs i've seen is the ten pages, including diagrams, colour photos, etc. in The Sacred Octagon, Volume 35, Number 5 October 1997. TSO has many small gems, you just have to wait for them to justify the overseas subscription. John TC 0301

rkegg465@cs.com

Post by rkegg465@cs.com » Wed May 21, 2003 7:23 pm

I have a bunch of new old stock NGK and Bosch plugs, and I don't know what cars they can be used in. Does any one know of a reference list on the internet that can give me the information that I need? I have looked everywhere. It is easy to find information on which plug a particular car needs, but trying to access the information from the other end is not so easy to find. Can anyone help? Randy Kegg

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed May 21, 2003 7:33 pm

Wish I could find some Lodge plugs for the TB.... Ray "....it is a peaceful thing to be one succeeding." -GS
----- Original Message ----- From: rkegg465@cs.com To: tigers@autox.team.net ; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 9:23 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] Re: Spark Plugs I have a bunch of new old stock NGK and Bosch plugs, and I don't know what cars they can be used in. Does any one know of a reference list on the internet that can give me the information that I need? I have looked everywhere. It is easy to find information on which plug a particular car needs, but trying to access the information from the other end is not so easy to find. Can anyone help? Randy Kegg Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

ROSS TAYLOR

Post by ROSS TAYLOR » Thu May 22, 2003 11:02 pm

Hi I managed to find 6 Lodge LF50 plugs at a recent swap meet , 4 of them are going in TC4284 Regards Ross
----- Original Message ----- From: Ray Sent: Thursday, 22 May 2003 12:34 PM To: rkegg465@cs.com; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Re: Spark Plugs Wish I could find some Lodge plugs for the TB.... Ray "....it is a peaceful thing to be one succeeding." -GS ----- Original Message ----- From: rkegg465@cs.com To: tigers@autox.team.net ; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 9:23 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] Re: Spark Plugs I have a bunch of new old stock NGK and Bosch plugs, and I don't know what cars they can be used in. Does any one know of a reference list on the internet that can give me the information that I need? I have looked everywhere. It is easy to find information on which plug a particular car needs, but trying to access the information from the other end is not so easy to find. Can anyone help? Randy Kegg Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

joecurto@aol.com

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Tue May 27, 2003 3:18 pm

Guys beware of NOS spark plugs I had an old landlord who always used NOS and he had more trouble with defective plugs seems they get corrosion up the center electrode and want to misfire, so keep a set of known plugs handy before doing a valve job due to a misfire. Joe Curto [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]