[Fwd: 1939 MG TA]

anngene@bellsouth.net

Post by anngene@bellsouth.net » Tue Jul 10, 2001 8:01 am

Found this in another email group - believe it needs wider distribution - don't think the originator will mind. If so, oh well. Gene
> > From: "Nelson, Dennis E" NelsonDE@state.gov> > Date: 2001/07/10 Tue AM 08:03:47 EDT > To: "'MG-t@autox.team.net'" MG-t@autox.team.net> > Subject: 1939 MG TA > > Hello everyone, after a long absence from the mailing list, and especially > to TA Terry. I was a member of this list for a number of years, and to > bring you up to date, I have been working on the restoration of a 1939 MG TA > for years! Registration Number TA3074. At any rate, I just had my 60th > birthday, and after having had this car, in one state of restoral or another > since 1978, I feel that it needs to go to a home that can do it justice and > provide it with a good long afterlife. I just don't have the energy to do > what is necessary to bring it to life. I will outline below what I have > done. > > It has a complete rolling chassis, meaning that the engine has been > completely redone. All new bearings, line bored, shaved crank, etc. New > timing chain. . Four new .020 oversized pistons, reworked head, etc. In > other words the engine, tranny and differential are all redone and on the > chassis. The Brakes are all redone with new wheel cylinder kits, and the > master cylinder is rebuilt. A total of four SU carbs, three SU fuel pumps. > (I have a LOT of parts) All it needs is gas and a battery and it will light > off. > > The chassis was sandblasted and painted black with Eastwood Chassis Black. > All springs were disassembled, sandblasted and painted. New Grunnion > bearings were installed front and rear, new rubber boots, etc. In fact, I > have sandblasted til I'm blue (orange, black, yellow, light blue) in the > face! The car had six coats of paint total, and I spent WEEKS, and gallons > of paint remover getting it down to bear metal! > > I have a total of seven wheels for the car; 2 - 16", 5 - 19", two of which > are new and never had tires on them. > > Now the body, or lack thereof. The previous owner let it deteriorate to the > point of no return and therefore it needs all new wood. I have new front > and rear quarter panels, and two new running boards (purchased from NTG > Services). The bonnet is good condition, as is the gas tank. Front wings > are O.K. (need some work), rear wings are, well let's not talk about them. > I purchased the body support irons from NTG, as that is one of the things > the previous owner did not have when doing the body. (Don't ask!) I have a > new tranny cover (hard rubber), and a complete tan leather reupholstery kit, > complete with carpets, a tonneau cover, folding top, and two side curtains. > > > At any rate, I would like to ask how much something like this is worth. It > is a genuine article, i.e. MPJG engine, cork clutch, etc. > > Let me hear from you. > > Dennis E. Nelson > Phone (202) 203-5186 > Fax (202) 203-5184 > > /// > /// mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list > /// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net > /// Send list postings to mg-t@autox.team.net > /// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent. > /// > >

Roger Muir

Post by Roger Muir » Tue Jul 10, 2001 11:52 pm

Well I don't know about the rest of you but I feel more than a 'tad' sad for Dennis. Good god he's only 60. It's a shame he's not driving that car!! after all that work. Roger Muir Bromsgrove UK -------------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------------- From: INTERNET:anngene@bellsouth.net, INTERNET:anngene@bellsouth.net To: , INTERNET:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, Jul 10, 2001 4:03:16 pm RE: [mg-tabc] [Fwd: 1939 MG TA] Found this in another email group - believe it needs wider distribution - don't think the originator will mind. If so, oh well. Gene
> > From: "Nelson, Dennis E" NelsonDE@state.gov> > Date: 2001/07/10 Tue AM 08:03:47 EDT > To: "'MG-t@autox.team.net'" MG-t@autox.team.net> > Subject: 1939 MG TA > > Hello everyone, after a long absence from the mailing list, and
especially
> to TA Terry. I was a member of this list for a number of years, and to > bring you up to date, I have been working on the restoration of a 1939 MG
TA
> for years! Registration Number TA3074. At any rate, I just had my 60th > birthday, and after having had this car, in one state of restoral or
another
> since 1978, I feel that it needs to go to a home that can do it justice
and
> provide it with a good long afterlife. I just don't have the energy to
do
> what is necessary to bring it to life. I will outline below what I have > done. > > It has a complete rolling chassis, meaning that the engine has been > completely redone. All new bearings, line bored, shaved crank, etc. New > timing chain. . Four new .020 oversized pistons, reworked head, etc.
In
> other words the engine, tranny and differential are all redone and on the > chassis. The Brakes are all redone with new wheel cylinder kits, and the > master cylinder is rebuilt. A total of four SU carbs, three SU fuel
pumps.
> (I have a LOT of parts) All it needs is gas and a battery and it will
light
> off. > > The chassis was sandblasted and painted black with Eastwood Chassis
Black.
> All springs were disassembled, sandblasted and painted. New Grunnion > bearings were installed front and rear, new rubber boots, etc. In fact, I > have sandblasted til I'm blue (orange, black, yellow, light blue) in the > face! The car had six coats of paint total, and I spent WEEKS, and
gallons
> of paint remover getting it down to bear metal! > > I have a total of seven wheels for the car; 2 - 16", 5 - 19", two of
which
> are new and never had tires on them. > > Now the body, or lack thereof. The previous owner let it deteriorate to
the
> point of no return and therefore it needs all new wood. I have new front > and rear quarter panels, and two new running boards (purchased from NTG > Services). The bonnet is good condition, as is the gas tank. Front
wings
> are O.K. (need some work), rear wings are, well let's not talk about
them.
> I purchased the body support irons from NTG, as that is one of the things > the previous owner did not have when doing the body. (Don't ask!) I
have a
> new tranny cover (hard rubber), and a complete tan leather reupholstery
kit,
> complete with carpets, a tonneau cover, folding top, and two side
curtains.
> > > At any rate, I would like to ask how much something like this is worth.
It
> is a genuine article, i.e. MPJG engine, cork clutch, etc. > > Let me hear from you. > > Dennis E. Nelson > Phone (202) 203-5186 > Fax (202) 203-5184 > > /// > /// mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list > /// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net > /// Send list postings to mg-t@autox.team.net > /// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be
sent.
> /// > >
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ ----------------------- Internet Header -------------------------------- Sender: sentto-1417284-5947-994777299-rogermuir=compuserve.com@returns.onelist.com Received: from mq.egroups.com (mq.egroups.com [208.50.144.79]) by spdmgaae.compuserve.com (8.9.3/8.9.3/SUN-1.9) with SMTP id LAA15106 for rogermuir@compuserve.com>; Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:03:20 -0400 (EDT) X-eGroups-Return: sentto-1417284-5947-994777299-rogermuir=compuserve.com@returns.onelist.com Received: from [10.1.4.52] by mq.egroups.com with NNFMP; 10 Jul 2001 15:01:40 -0000 X-Sender: anngene@bellsouth.net X-Apparently-To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Received: (EGP: mail-7_2_0); 10 Jul 2001 15:01:37 -0000 Received: (qmail 7223 invoked from network); 10 Jul 2001 15:00:25 -0000 Received: from unknown (10.1.10.142) by m8.onelist.org with QMQP; 10 Jul 2001 15:00:25 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO imf16bis.bellsouth.net) (205.152.58.36) by mta3 with SMTP; 10 Jul 2001 15:00:25 -0000 Received: from [127.0.0.1] by imf16bis.bellsouth.net (InterMail vM.5.01.01.01 201-252-104) with SMTP id for mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>; Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:01:17 -0400 X-Priority: Sensitivity: Company-Confidential To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Message-Id: From: anngene@bellsouth.net> MIME-Version: 1.0 Mailing-List: list mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com; contact mg-tabc-owner@yahoogroups.com Delivered-To: mailing list mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Precedence: bulk List-Unsubscribe: mg-tabc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:01:17 -0400 Subject: [mg-tabc] [Fwd: 1939 MG TA] Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit -------------------- End Forwarded Message --------------------

Carlyle Merritt

Re: [Fwd: 1939 MG TA]

Post by Carlyle Merritt » Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:52 am

I was 66 yesterday and am in the process of restoring a 1933 J2, 1939 TA Tickford, 1951 TD, & a 1955TF not to mention striping a '57 T-bird. If you keep yourself active it's much better than giving up at age 60, unless you have a health problem. We all had a great time in St. Paul last week - the Minnesota Group did a fine job hosting that meeting. Hats off to them - Had my TC & MGC there. Stayed in the campground on the east side of the fair grounds and had a ball. Carlyle Merritt, Iowa USA
----- Original Message ----- From: Roger Muir rogermuir@compuserve.com> To: MG Groups mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 1:51 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] [Fwd: 1939 MG TA] > > Well I don't know about the rest of you but I feel more than a 'tad' sad > for Dennis. Good god he's only 60. > > It's a shame he's not driving that car!! after all that work. > > > Roger Muir Bromsgrove UK > > > > > > > -------------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------------- > > From: INTERNET:anngene@bellsouth.net, INTERNET:anngene@bellsouth.net > To: , INTERNET:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com > Date: Tue, Jul 10, 2001 4:03:16 pm > > RE: [mg-tabc] [Fwd: 1939 MG TA] > > > Found this in another email group - believe it needs wider distribution - > don't think the originator will mind. If so, oh well. > > Gene > > > > > > From: "Nelson, Dennis E" NelsonDE@state.gov> > > Date: 2001/07/10 Tue AM 08:03:47 EDT > > To: "'MG-t@autox.team.net'" MG-t@autox.team.net> > > Subject: 1939 MG TA > > > > Hello everyone, after a long absence from the mailing list, and > especially > > to TA Terry. I was a member of this list for a number of years, and to > > bring you up to date, I have been working on the restoration of a 1939 MG > TA > > for years! Registration Number TA3074. At any rate, I just had my 60th > > birthday, and after having had this car, in one state of restoral or > another > > since 1978, I feel that it needs to go to a home that can do it justice > and > > provide it with a good long afterlife. I just don't have the energy to > do > > what is necessary to bring it to life. I will outline below what I have > > done. > > > > It has a complete rolling chassis, meaning that the engine has been > > completely redone. All new bearings, line bored, shaved crank, etc. New > > timing chain. . Four new .020 oversized pistons, reworked head, etc. > In > > other words the engine, tranny and differential are all redone and on the > > chassis. The Brakes are all redone with new wheel cylinder kits, and the > > master cylinder is rebuilt. A total of four SU carbs, three SU fuel > pumps. > > (I have a LOT of parts) All it needs is gas and a battery and it will > light > > off. > > > > The chassis was sandblasted and painted black with Eastwood Chassis > Black. > > All springs were disassembled, sandblasted and painted. New Grunnion > > bearings were installed front and rear, new rubber boots, etc. In fact, I > > have sandblasted til I'm blue (orange, black, yellow, light blue) in the > > face! The car had six coats of paint total, and I spent WEEKS, and > gallons > > of paint remover getting it down to bear metal! > > > > I have a total of seven wheels for the car; 2 - 16", 5 - 19", two of > which > > are new and never had tires on them. > > > > Now the body, or lack thereof. The previous owner let it deteriorate to > the > > point of no return and therefore it needs all new wood. I have new front > > and rear quarter panels, and two new running boards (purchased from NTG > > Services). The bonnet is good condition, as is the gas tank. Front > wings > > are O.K. (need some work), rear wings are, well let's not talk about > them. > > I purchased the body support irons from NTG, as that is one of the things > > the previous owner did not have when doing the body. (Don't ask!) I > have a > > new tranny cover (hard rubber), and a complete tan leather reupholstery > kit, > > complete with carpets, a tonneau cover, folding top, and two side > curtains. > > > > > > At any rate, I would like to ask how much something like this is worth. > It > > is a genuine article, i.e. MPJG engine, cork clutch, etc. > > > > Let me hear from you. > > > > Dennis E. Nelson > > Phone (202) 203-5186 > > Fax (202) 203-5184 > > > > /// > > /// mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list > > > /// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net > > /// Send list postings to mg-t@autox.team.net > > /// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be > sent. > > /// > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > ----------------------- Internet Header -------------------------------- > Sender: > sentto-1417284-5947-994777299-rogermuir=compuserve.com@returns.onelist.com > Received: from mq.egroups.com (mq.egroups.com [208.50.144.79]) > by spdmgaae.compuserve.com (8.9.3/8.9.3/SUN-1.9) with SMTP id > LAA15106 > for rogermuir@compuserve.com>; Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:03:20 -0400 > (EDT) > X-eGroups-Return: > sentto-1417284-5947-994777299-rogermuir=compuserve.com@returns.onelist.com > Received: from [10.1.4.52] by mq.egroups.com with NNFMP; 10 Jul 2001 > 15:01:40 -0000 > X-Sender: anngene@bellsouth.net > X-Apparently-To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com > Received: (EGP: mail-7_2_0); 10 Jul 2001 15:01:37 -0000 > Received: (qmail 7223 invoked from network); 10 Jul 2001 15:00:25 -0000 > Received: from unknown (10.1.10.142) by m8.onelist.org with QMQP; 10 Jul > 2001 15:00:25 -0000 > Received: from unknown (HELO imf16bis.bellsouth.net) (205.152.58.36) by > mta3 with SMTP; 10 Jul 2001 15:00:25 -0000 > Received: from [127.0.0.1] by imf16bis.bellsouth.net (InterMail > vM.5.01.01.01 201-252-104) with SMTP id > for > mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>; Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:01:17 -0400 > X-Priority: > Sensitivity: Company-Confidential > To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com > Message-Id: > From: anngene@bellsouth.net> > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Mailing-List: list mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com; contact > mg-tabc-owner@yahoogroups.com > Delivered-To: mailing list mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com > Precedence: bulk > List-Unsubscribe: mg-tabc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> > Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:01:17 -0400 > Subject: [mg-tabc] [Fwd: 1939 MG TA] > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > > > > -------------------- End Forwarded Message -------------------- > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > >

Frank O_ The Mountain

Re: [Fwd: 1939 MG TA]

Post by Frank O_ The Mountain » Wed Jul 11, 2001 6:14 am

In a message dated 7/11/01 3:16:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, rogermuir@compuserve.com writes: >>
Come on guys, I've urged Dennis not to give up.....He can do it! A body tub from one of several suppliers and hes got it!! Lets give him more support and encouragement as Roger has done. Terry