Transmission Overhaul

Bud Bradford

Transmission Overhaul

Post by Bud Bradford » Sun Jul 08, 2001 7:27 am

Help! Yesterday we lost (sort of) 3rd gear. I think the sychronizer departed. Sometimes by double clutching it would slip into 3rd other times not. We nursed TC6761 (The Blue Lady)about 35 miles to home. I'm looking for all the help I can get to tell me how to remove the gear box and to do a complete overhaul in addition to repairing the 3rd gear problem. I plan on going to Moss for replacement parts, it would be nice to be able to order the parts for the overhaul ahead of time. I would appreciate all the help I can get!
Thanks all of you.
Bud Bradford
TC6761
Bakersville, NC

David and Joyce Edgar

Transmission Overhaul

Post by David and Joyce Edgar » Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:00 pm

Opps, I replied this to Bud but forgot to include the rest of the list so sending again. ------------------- Bud, Moss has few TC gear parts available. Bearings, seals, shims and gaskets are there but actual gears are not. Try Abingdon or other suppliers even if not listed in catalogs as used ones show up from time to time. I had a 3rd gear problem that was solved via machine work. My problem was it kept jumping out of 3rd especially on deceleration. The fork was not pushing the sliding hub over far enough due to wear. Upon suggestion my sliding hub slot was machined out to square up the edges. The fork was then welded up to thicken it and match. Much, much cheaper. Keep in mind several things when doing this. Keep center lines where they are so alignment is maintained. The siding hub has a Rockwell hardness of 60 and the machine shop went through 3 carbide tips. The material came off white hot. If I recall right the shop left a slot clearance of 12 thou. I am not sure what factory specifications are. Result is a trans that shifts better that it has in over 30 years since I have had it. David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California
>Help! Yesterday we lost (sort of) 3rd gear. I think the sychronizer >departed. Sometimes by double clutching it would slip into 3rd other >times not. We nursed TC6761 (The Blue Lady)about 35 miles to home. >I'm looking for all the help I can get to tell me how to remove the >gear box and to do a complete overhaul in addition to repairing the >3rd gear problem. I plan on going to Moss for replacement parts, it >would be nice to be able to order the parts for the overhaul ahead >of time. I would appreciate all the help I can get! > >Thanks all of you. > >Bud Bradford >TC6761 >Bakersville, NC

David Harris

Re: Transmission Overhaul

Post by David Harris » Sun Jul 08, 2001 1:53 pm

HELP HELP HELP - I > my MG's but how do I get out of this mg-tabc thing, please - it's all consuming and totally cluttering my inbox -- HELP, HELP, please!! DAVID K. HARRIS david.harris@asduk.com david@greenhillhaxey.freeserve.co.uk
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] djedgar@pacbell.net [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] 08 July 2001 20:00 [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Transmission Overhaul Opps, I replied this to Bud but forgot to include the rest of the list so sending again. ------------------- Bud, Moss has few TC gear parts available. Bearings, seals, shims and gaskets are there but actual gears are not. Try Abingdon or other suppliers even if not listed in catalogs as used ones show up from time to time. I had a 3rd gear problem that was solved via machine work. My problem was it kept jumping out of 3rd especially on deceleration. The fork was not pushing the sliding hub over far enough due to wear. Upon suggestion my sliding hub slot was machined out to square up the edges. The fork was then welded up to thicken it and match. Much, much cheaper. Keep in mind several things when doing this. Keep center lines where they are so alignment is maintained. The siding hub has a Rockwell hardness of 60 and the machine shop went through 3 carbide tips. The material came off white hot. If I recall right the shop left a slot clearance of 12 thou. I am not sure what factory specifications are. Result is a trans that shifts better that it has in over 30 years since I have had it. David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California [quote] Help! Yesterday we lost (sort of) 3rd gear. I think the sychronizer departed. Sometimes by double clutching it would slip into 3rd other times not. We nursed TC6761 (The Blue Lady)about 35 miles to home. I'm looking for all the help I can get to tell me how to remove the gear box and to do a complete overhaul in addition to repairing the 3rd gear problem. I plan on going to Moss for replacement parts, it would be nice to be able to order the parts for the overhaul ahead of time. I would appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks all of you. Bud Bradford TC6761 Bakersville, NC
[/quote]