Wheel brg grease

Steve Rankin

Wheel brg grease

Post by Steve Rankin » Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:33 am

Hi all
I have a problem with diff oil getting thru the rear wheel brg to the brake drums on my TC. My understanding is that I should be using a oil resistant grease. Trouble is, I can't find anyone that knows of such characteristic in the grease they sell. Anyone there that can help?
Steve Rankin
tc 6646

JTPAKI@aol.com

Re: Wheel brg grease

Post by JTPAKI@aol.com » Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:30 pm

Steve I have never heard of such a grease, but who knows. Replace the wheel bearings with modern sealed units, and shim the hub as per Mike S in the TC Bible. I also use Roger F's axle nut with a seal. I have absolutely no leakage into the rear brake area. As a side note on brakes, I redid my brakes last summer, and went with the softest compound I could from the friction supply. The brake response if very nice now. Whereas before the shoes would glaze, they now wear. The negative side is that they wear very quickly and create a good bit of debris around the drum. Joe Potter In a message dated 6/14/01 11:54:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time, srankin@island.net writes:
Hi all
I have a problem with diff oil getting thru the rear wheel brg to the brake drums on my TC. My understanding is that I should be using a oil resistant grease. Trouble is, I can't find anyone that knows of such characteristic in the grease they sell. Anyone there that can help? Steve Rankin tc 6646

Bill Traill

Post by Bill Traill » Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:34 pm

Steve, Phil Marino of California and Roger Furneaux of England, make bearing retaining nuts that are longer and incorporate a lip seal. The nut is long enough to extend past the end of the thread by an amount sufficient to hold the seal. You have to watch the axle spline as the axle may not be pressed all the way into the hub. If this is a problem a Speedi-Sleeve is slipped over the exposed spline. I removed the diff and machined the ends to accept seals (very thin seals)......the nuts are a much easier way to go! Reminds me of a story....When I first bought my TC I drove into a local gas station and asked the man to check the differential oil. He asked how do we know the level and I replied "fill it to we see it...I guess". Whooeeee... what a mess! The next day I figured out what that little plug was for...... Bill Traill DCO: TC#5221
> Hi all > I have a problem with diff oil getting thru the rear wheel brg to the > brake drums on my TC. My understanding is that I should be using a oil > resistant grease. Trouble is, I can't find anyone that knows of such > characteristic in the grease they sell. Anyone there that can help? > > Steve Rankin > tc 6646 >

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Thu Jun 14, 2001 3:18 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] Wheel brg grease hi Steve - you must be new to these cars! The route the diff oil takes is out of the end of the axle casing past the joke "oil scroll" (of course if you do a lot of reversing, it completely defeats it anyway) and into the hub. Here it gets whirled by centrifugal force (or is it centripetal?) out through the gasket between the flanges of bearing carrier and hub. This is because the flanges are no longer flat and a piece of paper does not seal very well. Years ago the racers started using "instant gasket" and everyone should use it as well. If there is a lot of oil, it will also get through the bearing and a worn-out lip seal operating on a worn-out axle onto the back of the bearing carrier from where it is also whirled onto the brakes. The splines of the half-shaft do not completely fill the splines in the hub, so that is another escape route which leads to oil running down the wheel spokes. Hubs used to have grease nipples, and one theory was that by filling the hub with the right sort of grease, the oil would be kept at bay. Nowadays a lot of people fit shielded bearings (keep grease in and brake dust out) but this does not completely solve the problem. By far the best method is to stop the oil getting out of the axle in the first place using a lip seal. The Ozzies did this by crudely welding a piece of tubing to hold a seal onto the old hub nut, Phil Marino made (makes? - how is Phil these days?) slotted nuts (i.e. the wrong sort) with seals, and here in Olde England I make proper hexagon nuts with lip seals incorporated. One little snag is the half-shaft splines which will not give a very good running surface. Phil solved this by selling everybody his tapered half-shafts, whereas I supply little sleeves which glue over the splines (but you can have tapered, i.e. splineless, shafts if you wish)
[quote] Steve Rankin wrote: I have a problem with diff oil getting thru the rear wheel brg to the brake drums on my TC. My understanding is that I should be using a oil resistant grease. Trouble is, I can't find anyone that knows of such characteristic in the grease they sell. Anyone there that can help?
[/quote]

Steve Rankin

Post by Steve Rankin » Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:30 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] Wheel brg grease Roger You're quite right! Very new, as I have yet to drive one ever! However, that is about to change by this weekend I hope. My pal Rod Ptak, who owns a TC, a couple of L types, a B since new, and is also a recent newbie to this list is attending Silverstone, and I believe will be ferreting out some of you.He would be pleased I'm sure, to bring me back a couple of nuts and sleeves, and probably a couple for himself, and I'm sure could pay you on my behalf. Hope you can undertake this challenge!! Cheers Steve Rankin In The Rainforest Vancouver Island, B.C.
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] Roger.46TC@virgin.net [b]To:[/b] srankin@island.net [b]Cc:[/b] mg-tabc@egroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, June 14, 2001 3:19 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Wheel brg grease hi Steve - you must be new to these cars! The route the diff oil takes is out of the end of the axle casing past the joke "oil scroll" (of course if you do a lot of reversing, it completely defeats it anyway) and into the hub. Here it gets whirled by centrifugal force (or is it centripetal?) out through the gasket between the flanges of bearing carrier and hub. This is because the flanges are no longer flat and a piece of paper does not seal very well. Years ago the racers started using "instant gasket" and everyone should use it as well. If there is a lot of oil, it will also get through the bearing and a worn-out lip seal operating on a worn-out axle onto the back of the bearing carrier from where it is also whirled onto the brakes. The splines of the half-shaft do not completely fill the splines in the hub, so that is another escape route which leads to oil running down the wheel spokes. Hubs used to have grease nipples, and one theory was that by filling the hub with the right sort of grease, the oil would be kept at bay. Nowadays a lot of people fit shielded bearings (keep grease in and brake dust out) but this does not completely solve the problem. By far the best method is to stop the oil getting out of the axle in the first place using a lip seal. The Ozzies did this by crudely welding a piece of tubing to hold a seal onto the old hub nut, Phil Marino made (makes? - how is Phil these days?) slotted nuts (i.e. the wrong sort) with seals, and here in Olde England I make proper hexagon nuts with lip seals incorporated. One little snag is the half-shaft splines which will not give a very good running surface. Phil solved this by selling everybody his tapered half-shafts, whereas I supply little sleeves which glue over the splines (but you can have tapered, i.e. splineless, shafts if you wish) [quote] Steve Rankin wrote: I have a problem with diff oil getting thru the rear wheel brg to the brake drums on my TC. My understanding is that I should be using a oil resistant grease. Trouble is, I can't find anyone that knows of such characteristic in the grease they sell. Anyone there that can help?
[/quote]

Steve Rankin

Post by Steve Rankin » Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:41 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] Wheel brg grease I meant to add that I have no way to get a hold of him myself! Steve
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] srankin@island.net [b]To:[/b] Roger.46TC@virgin.net [b]Cc:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, June 14, 2001 6:24 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Wheel brg grease Roger You're quite right! Very new, as I have yet to drive one ever! However, that is about to change by this weekend I hope. My pal Rod Ptak, who owns a TC, a couple of L types, a B since new, and is also a recent newbie to this list is attending Silverstone, and I believe will be ferreting out some of you.He would be pleased I'm sure, to bring me back a couple of nuts and sleeves, and probably a couple for himself, and I'm sure could pay you on my behalf. Hope you can undertake this challenge!! Cheers Steve Rankin In The Rainforest Vancouver Island, B.C. ----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] Roger.46TC@virgin.net [b]To:[/b] srankin@island.net [b]Cc:[/b] mg-tabc@egroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, June 14, 2001 3:19 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Wheel brg grease hi Steve - you must be new to these cars! The route the diff oil takes is out of the end of the axle casing past the joke "oil scroll" (of course if you do a lot of reversing, it completely defeats it anyway) and into the hub. Here it gets whirled by centrifugal force (or is it centripetal?) out through the gasket between the flanges of bearing carrier and hub. This is because the flanges are no longer flat and a piece of paper does not seal very well. Years ago the racers started using "instant gasket" and everyone should use it as well. If there is a lot of oil, it will also get through the bearing and a worn-out lip seal operating on a worn-out axle onto the back of the bearing carrier from where it is also whirled onto the brakes. The splines of the half-shaft do not completely fill the splines in the hub, so that is another escape route which leads to oil running down the wheel spokes. Hubs used to have grease nipples, and one theory was that by filling the hub with the right sort of grease, the oil would be kept at bay. Nowadays a lot of people fit shielded bearings (keep grease in and brake dust out) but this does not completely solve the problem. By far the best method is to stop the oil getting out of the axle in the first place using a lip seal. The Ozzies did this by crudely welding a piece of tubing to hold a seal onto the old hub nut, Phil Marino made (makes? - how is Phil these days?) slotted nuts (i.e. the wrong sort) with seals, and here in Olde England I make proper hexagon nuts with lip seals incorporated. One little snag is the half-shaft splines which will not give a very good running surface. Phil solved this by selling everybody his tapered half-shafts, whereas I supply little sleeves which glue over the splines (but you can have tapered, i.e. splineless, shafts if you wish) [quote] Steve Rankin wrote: I have a problem with diff oil getting thru the rear wheel brg to the brake drums on my TC. My understanding is that I should be using a oil resistant grease. Trouble is, I can't find anyone that knows of such characteristic in the grease they sell. Anyone there that can help?
[/quote] Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

C. Knight

Post by C. Knight » Sun Jun 17, 2001 11:52 am

> Steve Rankin wrote: > > Hi all > I have a problem with diff oil getting thru the rear wheel brg to the > brake drums on my TC. My understanding is that I should be using a oil > resistant grease. Trouble is, I can't find anyone that knows of such > characteristic in the grease they sell. Anyone there that can help?
Castrol Heavy Grease, as specified by MG is still available from Castrol Classic Oils and is specifically designed for axles where oil contamination is likely. It solved all problems with my axle which had suffered from grease dilution and leaks for years with lithium greases. Cliff

Steve Rankin

Post by Steve Rankin » Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:52 pm

Cliff, I'm guessing you're in the UK? I would like a source in Canada or the US, but have been unable to find one. Please let me know if you know of one. Cheers Steve
----- Original Message ----- From: "C. Knight" cliffknight@ic24.net> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2001 11:48 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Wheel brg grease > > Steve Rankin wrote: > > > > Hi all > > I have a problem with diff oil getting thru the rear wheel brg to the > > brake drums on my TC. My understanding is that I should be using a oil > > resistant grease. Trouble is, I can't find anyone that knows of such > > characteristic in the grease they sell. Anyone there that can help? > > Castrol Heavy Grease, as specified by MG is still available from Castrol > Classic Oils and is specifically designed for axles where oil > contamination is likely. It solved all problems with my axle which had > suffered from grease dilution and leaks for years with lithium greases. > Cliff > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

C. Knight

Post by C. Knight » Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:52 am

Steve Rankin wrote:
> > Cliff, > I'm guessing you're in the UK? I would like a source in Canada or the US, > but have been unable to find one. Please let me know if you know of one.
I've just phoned Castrol and they don't have a distributor in the USA or Canada. They can ship Castrol Heavy Grease to you but will need to sort out carriage cost. If you contact them it is well worth asking for a copy of their original lubrication chart for your car and the classic oils data sheets which gives a lot of useful information. Castrol can still supply equivalents to all the original oils recommended by MG when our cars were new. Castrol Classic Oils Direct Wakefield House Swavesey Cambridge CB4 5QZ UK Phone UK (0)1954 231668 Fax UK (0)1954 231923 www.CastrolClassicOils.co.uk email:Oilinfo@CastrolClassicOils.co.uk Regards Cliff (about to set of for a week in the mountains of mid Wales in the TA)