electrical

Brian Donahue

electrical

Post by Brian Donahue » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:06 pm

hello members , i have a question about the electric on a 1948 tc. it's a full restoration and i have everything wired but the lights and the dash panel. is it possible to start the car , and /or get juice to the things that are connected? if i hook the battery up the only thing that has power is the starter , with a test light , and the yellow and black wire in the dash harness . if i clip the test light to the positive ground strap i get nothing from any part , like the fuel pump , coil , distributor etc..is this correct or what is supposed to happen . i hope some one cane enlighten me on this dilema . thanks from any member with any answers . brian

ross macpherson

Re: electrical

Post by ross macpherson » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:38 pm

Brian, I just walked in and haven't got a drawing close to hand so I'm shooting from the hip here. I believe the starter is the only component whose current DOESN'T go through the ammeter. The ammetere is in the dash. See where I'm going with this? If you have a drawing for your particular harness locate the two wires that would go to the ammeter and short them together. Don't worry about the term "short" - Moving Coil Ammeters are very low resistance and the two wires that go to them are virtually shorted together anyway. Without a drawing I'm afraid I can't offer much more than that; it's been along time since I rewired mine. Good luck. Ross
[quote] -----Original Message----- [b]From:[/b] Brian Donahue [mailto:BrianDonahue@msn.com] [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, April 03, 2001 5:45 PM [b]To:[/b] mgtabcgroup; mg-tabc Moderator [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] electrical hello members , i have a question about the electric on a 1948 tc. it's a full restoration and i have everything wired but the lights and the dash panel. is it possible to start the car , and /or get juice to the things that are connected? if i hook the battery up the only thing that has power is the starter , with a test light , and the yellow and black wire in the dash harness . if i clip the test light to the positive ground strap i get nothing from any part , like the fuel pump , coil , distributor etc..is this correct or what is supposed to happen . i hope some one cane enlighten me on this dilema . thanks from any member with any answers . brian Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
[/quote]

Dean Jensen

Post by Dean Jensen » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:53 pm

----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] djensen@accessus.net [b]To:[/b] BrianDonahue@msn.com [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, April 04, 2001 5:02 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] electrical Brian what is lacking is the ignition switch, if you would wire that in most of the other things would work, or if you want to see if they will work, just run a jumper wire from the hot side of the starter, to that item. If you do this you want to make sure that the wires that would go to the switch are not touching anything or another. If you want to try and start the engine, run a wire to the fuel pump, taking off the wire that is on it now, and run a wire to the coil, again taking off the wire, the wire you take off the coil is not the wire that goes to the dist, the other wire, depending on how you have it wired up. This should let you start the car, you probably do not want the wires on the generator, as you do not want something to short out on the wires to the dash. I am telling you how to hot wire the car.. ----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] BrianDonahue@msn.com [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; mg-tabc-owner@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, April 03, 2001 7:44 PM [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] electrical hello members , i have a question about the electric on a 1948 tc. it's a full restoration and i have everything wired but the lights and the dash panel. is it possible to start the car , and /or get juice to the things that are connected? if i hook the battery up the only thing that has power is the starter , with a test light , and the yellow and black wire in the dash harness . if i clip the test light to the positive ground strap i get nothing from any part , like the fuel pump , coil , distributor etc..is this correct or what is supposed to happen . i hope some one cane enlighten me on this dilema . thanks from any member with any answers . brian Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

C Sherriff

Post by C Sherriff » Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:25 pm

Message text written by "ross macpherson"
> hello members , i have a question about the electric on a 1948 tc. it's
a full restoration and i have everything wired but the lights and the dash panel. is it possible to start the car , and /or get juice to the things that are connected? if i hook the battery up the only thing that has power is the starter , with a test light , and the yellow and black wire in the dash harness . if i clip the test light to the positive ground strap i get nothing from any part , like the fuel pump , coil , distributor etc..is this correct or what is supposed to happen . i hope some one cane enlighten me on this dilema . thanks from any member with any answers . brian

John T. Seim

Post by John T. Seim » Thu Apr 05, 2001 10:40 am

Not knowing how much of the wiring has been connected, I suggest the following. The white wires are the ignition circuit. Connect the white to the fuel pump terminal, black to ground. White to CB or - on the ignition coil. White with black, or make a jumper wire from SW or + on the coil to the distributor. Jumper from either the fuel pump terminal, coil CB terminal, or white wire that would connect to the ignition switch, to the battery terminal that is not going to ground. You might have to ground the fuel pump, if the harness hasn't been grounded. This will provide power for all ignition components, allowing you to start the car. John Seim

Ed Van hoose

electrical

Post by Ed Van hoose » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:53 pm

14mar12 hello all, on a tc, what happens if you connect the lead from the starter switch to the wrong contact on the ammeter? do you get a fire? ed van hoose tc3783 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

M.W. Guensberg

Post by M.W. Guensberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 pm

And I would like to know: does the ammeter survive a short- circuit? Rgds, Marek TC 0947 Mr.M.W.Guensberg, Vuurscheweg 238,3723MD Bilthoven. 035-6669163. 06-53148622 Van: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] Namens Ed Van hoose Verzonden: woensdag 14 maart 2012 22:53 Aan: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Onderwerp: [mg-tabc] electrical 14mar12 hello all, on a tc, what happens if you connect the lead from the starter switch to the wrong contact on the ammeter? do you get a fire? ed van hoose tc3783 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Stephen D Stierman

Post by Stephen D Stierman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:29 pm

I managed to see some smoke out of my ammeter when I made a faux pas and it seems to still work ok, but I would not think it would last too long hooked up incorrectly. Steve TC2911
--- On Wed, 3/14/12, M.W. Guensberg m.guensberg@planet.nl> wrote: From: M.W. Guensberg m.guensberg@planet.nl> Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] electrical To: "'Ed Van hoose'" vanhooseed@yahoo.com>, mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 6:09 PM And I would like to know: does the ammeter survive a short- circuit? Rgds, Marek TC 0947 Mr.M.W.Guensberg, Vuurscheweg 238,3723MD Bilthoven. 035-6669163. 06-53148622 Van: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] Namens Ed Van hoose Verzonden: woensdag 14 maart 2012 22:53 Aan: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Onderwerp: [mg-tabc] electrical 14mar12 hello all, on a tc, what happens if you connect the lead from the starter switch to the wrong contact on the ammeter? do you get a fire? ed van hoose tc3783 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Willbowden@aol.com

Post by Willbowden@aol.com » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 pm

I don't know the "starter cable" ? The ammeter is between the Battery and the "A" on the regulator/ control box. The ignition switch is (hot) from the A1 and feeds A3 and the Ign light to D and the Generator/dynamo. We need more information Thanks, Will In a message dated 3/14/2012 5:53:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, vanhooseed@yahoo.com writes: 14mar12 hello all, on a tc, what happens if you connect the lead from the starter switch to the wrong contact on the ammeter? do you get a fire? ed van hoose tc3783 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Willbowden@aol.com

Post by Willbowden@aol.com » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

The ammeter has a copper loop internal which works the needle, it is possible to burn thru it with a short to ground. It is possible to repair it. Hope this helps. Will In a message dated 3/14/2012 6:09:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, m.guensberg@planet.nl writes: And I would like to know: does the ammeter survive a short- circuit? Rgds, Marek TC 0947 Mr.M.W.Guensberg, Vuurscheweg 238,3723MD Bilthoven. 035-6669163. 06-53148622 Van: _mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com) [mailto:_mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com) ] Namens Ed Van hoose Verzonden: woensdag 14 maart 2012 22:53 Aan: _mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com) Onderwerp: [mg-tabc] electrical 14mar12 hello all, on a tc, what happens if you connect the lead from the starter switch to the wrong contact on the ammeter? do you get a fire? ed van hoose tc3783 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]