klr600 & 650 specifications

DSN_KLR650
motorsouth

blown engine in mexico/yuma

Post by motorsouth » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Hello all, I've run into a bit of trouble on the road and am currently looking for a used head for my 2006 KLR650. I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping or drive to pick up in the Yuma/Phoenix/San Diego/Las Vegas. I'm also in need of new valves, new piston and timing chain, but I can order those online. If I can't get a used head, Im looking for an engine I can swap out. The interesting part of the story is this: my brother and I are headed to South America on our Klr650s, with mountaineering gear and surf boards strapped on the side. We went as far north east as Newfoundland, then swung diagonally across the states. Things were good until about a week ago. About 500 miles into Mexico, my engine died. Couldn't get it started. We believe that the timing chain slipped, possibly a problem with the tensioner, causing the piston to hit the intake valves and bend them open, causing a lack of compression. We had to sleep in the ditch for the night, then in the morning we got it hauled to a camping area and set up a base camp. A friend found a mechanic who could get parts, so I had it hauled to the town 50 miles away. He said he put in new intake valves and new timing chain. Bike ran for 30 miles, then died hard. I got pulled behind the mechanics car (a little scary) and he said he would pull it apart after Christmas.  When I next got back to his shop, it was apart and not looking good. One intake valve broke into three pieces and had been bouncing around inside. Piston is chewed up and has hairline cracks in multiple places. So close to breaking apart but luckily held together. Cylinder sleeve has a small groove in it, so I'll have to get it bored out. Obviously also need all new valves. Spark plug is all chewed up as well. Cams and cam journals look okay.  We suspect that he just straightened out the old valves and put it back together with the old parts, pocketing the extra money. The valves are pretty coked up for only 30 miles. The side cover shows no signs of being removed, so obviously he never changed the timing chain. In retrospect, he gave me a rotten deal and replaced my relatively minor problem of two bad valves with a major problem that is going to cost me a lot of money. I'm pretty angry about it, but I gotta figure out how to be mobile again. Anyway, two friends happened to be down visiting my brother and I with their van. They have hauled me up to Yuma, AZ. My brother decided to stay behind and soak up the sun. Really no reason for him to hoof it back here just yet, as I hope to have another try at Mexico soon. My friends plan to ride the imperial sand dunes for a few days then return to their home in Salt Lake City. Basically, I'm trying to find someone who can overnight me parts or possibly someone in the area with an engine I can buy. Please let me know if you have a good used head around. There appears to be no Kawasaki dealer with many miles (I was told San Diego). Anyone know of bike junkyards in the south west? Anyone happen in to know of a machine shop in Yuma where i could bore out my cylinder and head? We have tools and my friends have taken KLR motors apart before, so if we had the parts we could do the job ourselves.  If you have any questions, my number 701 609 0690 or I'll be checking my email. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I can send photos to anyone interested. Just send me a direct email. Thank you for your advice and any parts you'll sell me off of your garage shelf!
Calvin G

Pete Blaszcak

Post by Pete Blaszcak » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Try calling Eagle Mike in  San Diego: Mike Cowlishaw Eagle Manufacturing 619-261-1281 Sent from Outlook Mobile On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM -0800, "motorsouth@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Hello all, I've run into a bit of trouble on the road and am currently looking for a used head for my 2006 KLR650. I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping or drive to pick up in the Yuma/Phoenix/San Diego/Las Vegas. I'm also in need of new valves, new piston and timing chain, but I can order those online. If I can't get a used head, Im looking for an engine I can swap out. The interesting part of the story is this: my brother and I are headed to South America on our Klr650s, with mountaineering gear and surf boards strapped on the side. We went as far north east as Newfoundland, then swung diagonally across the states. Things were good until about a week ago. About 500 miles into Mexico, my engine died. Couldn't get it started. We believe that the timing chain slipped, possibly a problem with the tensioner, causing the piston to hit the intake valves and bend them open, causing a lack of compression. We had to sleep in the ditch for the night, then in the morning we got it hauled to a camping area and set up a base camp. A friend found a mechanic who could get parts, so I had it hauled to the town 50 miles away. He said he put in new intake valves and new timing chain. Bike ran for 30 miles, then died hard. I got pulled behind the mechanics car (a little scary) and he said he would pull it apart after Christmas.  When I next got back to his shop, it was apart and not looking good. One intake valve broke into three pieces and had been bouncing around inside. Piston is chewed up and has hairline cracks in multiple places. So close to breaking apart but luckily held together. Cylinder sleeve has a small groove in it, so I'll have to get it bored out. Obviously also need all new valves. Spark plug is all chewed up as well. Cams and cam journals look okay.  We suspect that he just straightened out the old valves and put it back together with the old parts, pocketing the extra money. The valves are pretty coked up for only 30 miles. The side cover shows no signs of being removed, so obviously he never changed the timing chain. In retrospect, he gave me a rotten deal and replaced my relatively minor problem of two bad valves with a major problem that is going to cost me a lot of money. I'm pretty angry about it, but I gotta figure out how to be mobile again. Anyway, two friends happened to be down visiting my brother and I with their van. They have hauled me up to Yuma, AZ. My brother decided to stay behind and soak up the sun. Really no reason for him to hoof it back here just yet, as I hope to have another try at Mexico soon. My friends plan to ride the imperial sand dunes for a few days then return to their home in Salt Lake City. Basically, I'm trying to find someone who can overnight me parts or possibly someone in the area with an engine I can buy. Please let me know if you have a good used head around. There appears to be no Kawasaki dealer with many miles (I was told San Diego). Anyone know of bike junkyards in the south west? Anyone happen in to know of a machine shop in Yuma where i could bore out my cylinder and head? We have tools and my friends have taken KLR motors apart before, so if we had the parts we could do the job ourselves.  If you have any questions, my number 701 609 0690 or I'll be checking my email. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can send photos to anyone interested. Just send me a direct email. Thank you for your advice and any parts you'll sell me off of your garage shelf! Calvin G  

Jeffrey Parker

Post by Jeffrey Parker » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:11 pm

Eagle Mike is online too.  Sounds like quite the adventure. Good luck getting back on the road. Yes, do post some pictures! I doubt I m the only one here who is curious about how this turns out, and about your onward adventures in Mexico and beyond. Happy New Year.Jeff
On Dec 29, 2015, at 9:51 AM, Pete Blaszcak p_blazak@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Try calling Eagle Mike in  San Diego:Mike CowlishawEagle Manufacturing619-261-1281 Sent from Outlook Mobile On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM -0800, "motorsouth@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Hello all, I've run into a bit of trouble on the road and am currently looking for a used head for my 2006 KLR650. I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping or drive to pick up in the Yuma/Phoenix/San Diego/Las Vegas. I'm also in need of new valves, new piston and timing chain, but I can order those online. If I can't get a used head, Im looking for an engine I can swap out.

The interesting part of the story is this: my brother and I are headed to South America on our Klr650s, with mountaineering gear and surf boards strapped on the side. We went as far north east as Newfoundland, then swung diagonally across the states.

Things were good until about a week ago. About 500 miles into Mexico, my engine died. Couldn't get it started. We believe that the timing chain slipped, possibly a problem with the tensioner, causing the piston to hit the intake valves and bend them open, causing a lack of compression. We had to sleep in the ditch for the night, then in the morning we got it hauled to a camping area and set up a base camp. A friend found a mechanic who could get parts, so I had it hauled to the town 50 miles away. He said he put in new intake valves and new timing chain. Bike ran for 30 miles, then died hard. I got pulled behind the mechanics car (a little scary) and he said he would pull it apart after Christmas. 

When I next got back to his shop, it was apart and not looking good. One intake valve broke into three pieces and had been bouncing around inside. Piston is chewed up and has hairline cracks in multiple places. So close to breaking apart but luckily held together. Cylinder sleeve has a small groove in it, so I'll have to get it bored out. Obviously also need all new valves. Spark plug is all chewed up as well. Cams and cam journals look okay. 

We suspect that he just straightened out the old valves and put it back together with the old parts, pocketing the extra money. The valves are pretty coked up for only 30 miles. The side cover shows no signs of being removed, so obviously he never changed the timing chain. In retrospect, he gave me a rotten deal and replaced my relatively minor problem of two bad valves with a major problem that is going to cost me a lot of money. I'm pretty angry about it, but I gotta figure out how to be mobile again.

Anyway, two friends happened to be down visiting my brother and I with their van. They have hauled me up to Yuma, AZ. My brother decided to stay behind and soak up the sun. Really no reason for him to hoof it back here just yet, as I hope to have another try at Mexico soon. My friends plan to ride the imperial sand dunes for a few days then return to their home in Salt Lake City.

Basically, I'm trying to find someone who can overnight me parts or possibly someone in the area with an engine I can buy. Please let me know if you have a good used head around. There appears to be no Kawasaki dealer with many miles (I was told San Diego). Anyone know of bike junkyards in the south west? Anyone happen in to know of a machine shop in Yuma where i could bore out my cylinder and head?

We have tools and my friends have taken KLR motors apart before, so if we had the parts we could do the job ourselves.  If you have any questions, my number 701 609 0690 or I'll be checking my email. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can send photos to anyone interested. Just send me a direct email. Thank you for your advice and any parts you'll sell me off of your garage shelf!Calvin G 

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Buy another bike! Robert P. Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&CHERS I & HERS IICEPE & CEA RES & NON-RES +1 916 966 9060FAX +1 916 966 9068
On Dec 28, 2015, at 6:08 PM, Jeffrey Parker jeffreykparker@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Eagle Mike is online too.  Sounds like quite the adventure. Good luck getting back on the road. Yes, do post some pictures! I doubt I m the only one here who is curious about how this turns out, and about your onward adventures in Mexico and beyond. Happy New Year.Jeff On Dec 29, 2015, at 9:51 AM, Pete Blaszcak p_blazak@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Try calling Eagle Mike in  San Diego:Mike CowlishawEagle Manufacturing619-261-1281 Sent from Outlook Mobile On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM -0800, "motorsouth@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Hello all, I've run into a bit of trouble on the road and am currently looking for a used head for my 2006 KLR650. I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping or drive to pick up in the Yuma/Phoenix/San Diego/Las Vegas. I'm also in need of new valves, new piston and timing chain, but I can order those online. If I can't get a used head, Im looking for an engine I can swap out.

The interesting part of the story is this: my brother and I are headed to South America on our Klr650s, with mountaineering gear and surf boards strapped on the side. We went as far north east as Newfoundland, then swung diagonally across the states.

Things were good until about a week ago. About 500 miles into Mexico, my engine died. Couldn't get it started. We believe that the timing chain slipped, possibly a problem with the tensioner, causing the piston to hit the intake valves and bend them open, causing a lack of compression. We had to sleep in the ditch for the night, then in the morning we got it hauled to a camping area and set up a base camp. A friend found a mechanic who could get parts, so I had it hauled to the town 50 miles away. He said he put in new intake valves and new timing chain. Bike ran for 30 miles, then died hard. I got pulled behind the mechanics car (a little scary) and he said he would pull it apart after Christmas. 

When I next got back to his shop, it was apart and not looking good. One intake valve broke into three pieces and had been bouncing around inside. Piston is chewed up and has hairline cracks in multiple places. So close to breaking apart but luckily held together. Cylinder sleeve has a small groove in it, so I'll have to get it bored out. Obviously also need all new valves. Spark plug is all chewed up as well. Cams and cam journals look okay. 

We suspect that he just straightened out the old valves and put it back together with the old parts, pocketing the extra money. The valves are pretty coked up for only 30 miles. The side cover shows no signs of being removed, so obviously he never changed the timing chain. In retrospect, he gave me a rotten deal and replaced my relatively minor problem of two bad valves with a major problem that is going to cost me a lot of money. I'm pretty angry about it, but I gotta figure out how to be mobile again.

Anyway, two friends happened to be down visiting my brother and I with their van. They have hauled me up to Yuma, AZ. My brother decided to stay behind and soak up the sun. Really no reason for him to hoof it back here just yet, as I hope to have another try at Mexico soon. My friends plan to ride the imperial sand dunes for a few days then return to their home in Salt Lake City.

Basically, I'm trying to find someone who can overnight me parts or possibly someone in the area with an engine I can buy. Please let me know if you have a good used head around. There appears to be no Kawasaki dealer with many miles (I was told San Diego). Anyone know of bike junkyards in the south west? Anyone happen in to know of a machine shop in Yuma where i could bore out my cylinder and head?

We have tools and my friends have taken KLR motors apart before, so if we had the parts we could do the job ourselves.  If you have any questions, my number 701 609 0690 or I'll be checking my email. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can send photos to anyone interested. Just send me a direct email. Thank you for your advice and any parts you'll sell me off of your garage shelf!Calvin G 

rrttbbnn

Post by rrttbbnn » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:13 pm

This rider sure is gutsy doing what he is doing.  Travelling in this part of the world with a cobbled up bike???..  It hasn't been that long ago (a year) that someone rode into Mexico and other parts just like this guy, and it took about a month for his sister to find his body.'  So many Americans think the whole would is their bed of roses.  Most of the world doesn't give a crap about the individual.   You trusted a "mechanic" in Mexico, obviously looking like a non local, and you are suprised by what you got?  Seems pretty standard  type stuff from the dozens of people I have talked to that have been to Mexico.   Good luck, and you probably should buy a new bike.  My guess is if you can't afford one, you have no business doing what you are doing.   Sorry to sound like an ass, just my opinion.   Jeff     -----Original Message----- From: Pete Blaszcak p_blazak@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com\ dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Mon, Dec 28, 2015 5:51 pm Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Blown engine in Mexico/Yuma   Try calling Eagle Mike in  San Diego: Mike Cowlishaw Eagle Manufacturing 619-261-1281 Sent from Outlook Mobile On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM -0800, "motorsouth@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Hello all, I've run into a bit of trouble on the road and am currently looking for a used head for my 2006 KLR650. I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping or drive to pick up in the Yuma/Phoenix/San Diego/Las Vegas. I'm also in need of new valves, new piston and timing chain, but I can order those online. If I can't get a used head, Im looking for an engine I can swap out. The interesting part of the story is this: my brother and I are headed to South America on our Klr650s, with mountaineering gear and surf boards strapped on the side. We went as far north east as Newfoundland, then swung diagonally across the states. Things were good until about a week ago. About 500 miles into Mexico, my engine died. Couldn't get it started. We believe that the timing chain slipped, possibly a problem with the tensioner, causing the piston to hit the intake valves and bend them open, causing a lack of compression. We had to sleep in the ditch for the night, then in the morning we got it hauled to a camping area and set up a base camp. A friend found a mechanic who could get parts, so I had it hauled to the town 50 miles away. He said he put in new intake valves and new timing chain. Bike ran for 30 miles, then died hard. I got pulled behind the mechanics car (a little scary) and he said he would pull it apart after Christmas.  When I next got back to his shop, it was apart and not looking good. One intake valve broke into three pieces and had been bouncing around inside. Piston is chewed up and has hairline cracks in multiple places. So close to breaking apart but luckily held together. Cylinder sleeve has a small groove in it, so I'll have to get it bored out. Obviously also need all new valves. Spark plug is all chewed up as well. Cams and cam journals look okay.  We suspect that he just straightened out the old valves and put it back together with the old parts, pocketing the extra money. The valves are pretty coked up for only 30 miles. The side cover shows no signs of being removed, so obviously he never changed the timing chain. In retrospect, he gave me a rotten deal and replaced my relatively minor problem of two bad valves with a major problem that is going to cost me a lot of money. I'm pretty angry about it, but I gotta figure out how to be mobile again. Anyway, two friends happened to be down visiting my brother and I with their van. They have hauled me up to Yuma, AZ. My brother decided to stay behind and soak up the sun. Really no reason for him to hoof it back here just yet, as I hope to have another try at Mexico soon. My friends plan to ride the imperial sand dunes for a few days then return to their home in Salt Lake City. Basically, I'm trying to find someone who can overnight me parts or possibly someone in the area with an engine I can buy. Please let me know if you have a good used head around. There appears to be no Kawasaki dealer with many miles (I was told San Diego). Anyone know of bike junkyards in the south west? Anyone happen in to know of a machine shop in Yuma where i could bore out my cylinder and head? We have tools and my friends have taken KLR motors apart before, so if we had the parts we could do the job ourselves.  If you have any questions, my number 701 609 0690 or I'll be checking my email. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can send photos to anyone interested. Just send me a direct email. Thank you for your advice and any parts you'll sell me off of your garage shelf! Calvin G   #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 #ygrps-yiv-1720528152AOLMsgPart_2_e4dd740b-0715-48d3-8f58-0c8edb72ff1f td{color:black;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mkp {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mkp #ygrps-yiv-1720528152hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mkp #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ads {margin-bottom:10px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-1720528152ad {padding:0 0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-1720528152ad p {margin:0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-1720528152ad a {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-lc #ygrps-yiv-1720528152hd {margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-lc .ygrps-yiv-1720528152ad {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152actions {font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152activity {background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152activity span {font-weight:700;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152activity span:first-child {text-transform:uppercase;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152activity span a {color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152activity span span {color:#ff7900;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152activity span .ygrps-yiv-1720528152underline {text-decoration:underline;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152attach {clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152attach div a {text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152attach img {border:none;padding-right:5px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152attach label {display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152attach label a {text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152bold {font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152bold a {text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody dd.ygrps-yiv-1720528152last p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody dd.ygrps-yiv-1720528152last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody dd.ygrps-yiv-1720528152last p span.ygrps-yiv-1720528152yshortcuts {margin-right:0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152attach-table div div a {text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152attach-table {width:400px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152file-title a, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152file-title a:active, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152file-title a:hover, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152file-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152photo-title a, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152photo-title a:active, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152photo-title a:hover, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div.ygrps-yiv-1720528152photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody div#ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mlmsg #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-msg p a span.ygrps-yiv-1720528152yshortcuts {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152green {color:#628c2a;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody o {font-size:0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152photos div div {border:1px solid #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152photos div label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152reco-category {font-size:77%;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody .ygrps-yiv-1720528152replbq {margin:4px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mlmsg select, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody input, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody textarea {font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mlmsg pre, #ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody code {font:115% monospace;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-mlmsg #ygrps-yiv-1720528152logo {padding-bottom:10px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-msg p a {font-family:Verdana;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-msg p#ygrps-yiv-1720528152attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-reco #ygrps-yiv-1720528152reco-head {color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-reco {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ov li {font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#ygrps-yiv-1720528152 .ygrps-yiv-1720528152aolReplacedBody #ygrps-yiv-1720528152ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none !important;}

libertyeagle

Post by libertyeagle » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:12 am

The guy that builds the TopGun shocks is a Klr guy and he is real close to you as well. Worth a call. Michael

achesley43@ymail.com

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:40 am

I'd also reach out to some of the Facebook groups for KLR and Advrider KLR group. May be able to find something more local. 
Was tuff luck on the mechanic that took you. But , applaud your trip. Hope all works out for you.  

Mark Van Horn

Post by Mark Van Horn » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 am

I *think* I have a good cylinder head from a 2000 or one from a 2001. I won't know 'til this evening when I get a chance to pull them from their engines. Mark
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 7:50 PM, motorsouth@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Hello all, I've run into a bit of trouble on the road and am currently looking for a used head for my 2006 KLR650. I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping or drive to pick up in the Yuma/Phoenix/San Diego/Las Vegas. I'm also in need of new valves, new piston and timing chain, but I can order those online. If I can't get a used head, Im looking for an engine I can swap out. The interesting part of the story is this: my brother and I are headed to South America on our Klr650s, with mountaineering gear and surf boards strapped on the side. We went as far north east as Newfoundland, then swung diagonally across the states. Things were good until about a week ago. About 500 miles into Mexico, my engine died. Couldn't get it started. We believe that the timing chain slipped, possibly a problem with the tensioner, causing the piston to hit the intake valves and bend them open, causing a lack of compression. We had to sleep in the ditch for the night, then in the morning we got it hauled to a camping area and set up a base camp. A friend found a mechanic who could get parts, so I had it hauled to the town 50 miles away. He said he put in new intake valves and new timing chain. Bike ran for 30 miles, then died hard. I got pulled behind the mechanics car (a little scary) and he said he would pull it apart after Christmas. When I next got back to his shop, it was apart and not looking good. One intake valve broke into three pieces and had been bouncing around inside. Piston is chewed up and has hairline cracks in multiple places. So close to breaking apart but luckily held together. Cylinder sleeve has a small groove in it, so I'll have to get it bored out. Obviously also need all new valves. Spark plug is all chewed up as well. Cams and cam journals look okay. We suspect that he just straightened out the old valves and put it back together with the old parts, pocketing the extra money. The valves are pretty coked up for only 30 miles. The side cover shows no signs of being removed, so obviously he never changed the timing chain. In retrospect, he gave me a rotten deal and replaced my relatively minor problem of two bad valves with a major problem that is going to cost me a lot of money. I'm pretty angry about it, but I gotta figure out how to be mobile again. Anyway, two friends happened to be down visiting my brother and I with their van. They have hauled me up to Yuma, AZ. My brother decided to stay behind and soak up the sun. Really no reason for him to hoof it back here just yet, as I hope to have another try at Mexico soon. My friends plan to ride the imperial sand dunes for a few days then return to their home in Salt Lake City. Basically, I'm trying to find someone who can overnight me parts or possibly someone in the area with an engine I can buy. Please let me know if you have a good used head around. There appears to be no Kawasaki dealer with many miles (I was told San Diego). Anyone know of bike junkyards in the south west? Anyone happen in to know of a machine shop in Yuma where i could bore out my cylinder and head? We have tools and my friends have taken KLR motors apart before, so if we had the parts we could do the job ourselves. If you have any questions, my number 701 609 0690 or I'll be checking my email. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I can send photos to anyone interested. Just send me a direct email. Thank you for your advice and any parts you'll sell me off of your garage shelf!Calvin G

Mark Harfenist

Post by Mark Harfenist » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:54 pm

I don't have any suggestions for parts or mechanics aside from repeating Jeff's referral to Eagle Mike, but I did want to express a hope that no one will take seriously anyone responding with doom and gloom about Mexico (or points south). I, along with hundreds of others per year, made it safe and sound from the States and Canada to Tierra deal Fuego, and so will you and your brother if that's what you choose. My bike was as "cobbled together" as yours when I started, and I don't have any special mechanical skills or awareness. I was treated with kindness throughout all the countries of North, Central and South America-- 50k miles, 12 months. My worst experiences with hired mechanics were in a dealership in Texas, not any of the Spanish, Portuguese, English, Dutch or French-speaking countries to the south. Safe journeys! Mark Sent from my iPad

Ateam

Post by Ateam » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:58 pm

I can post up a call for help in the ADVRider web site as well as Facebook but would need your contact info to keep private until someone can help.  I live in Albuquerque so no help here from me but reaching out to many on social media will help a lot.   Tony 505-720-0711   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, December 28, 2015 5:50 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Blown engine in Mexico/Yuma    

Hello all, I've run into a bit of trouble on the road and am currently looking for a used head for my 2006 KLR650. I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping or drive to pick up in the Yuma/Phoenix/San Diego/Las Vegas. I'm also in need of new valves, new piston and timing chain, but I can order those online. If I can't get a used head, Im looking for an engine I can swap out. The interesting part of the story is this: my brother and I are headed to South America on our Klr650s, with mountaineering gear and surf boards strapped on the side. We went as far north east as Newfoundland, then swung diagonally across the states. Things were good until about a week ago. About 500 miles into Mexico, my engine died. Couldn't get it started. We believe that the timing chain slipped, possibly a problem with the tensioner, causing the piston to hit the intake valves and bend them open, causing a lack of compression. We had to sleep in the ditch for the night, then in the morning we got it hauled to a camping area and set up a base camp. A friend found a mechanic who could get parts, so I had it hauled to the town 50 miles away. He said he put in new intake valves and new timing chain. Bike ran for 30 miles, then died hard. I got pulled behind the mechanics car (a little scary) and he said he would pull it apart after Christmas. When I next got back to his shop, it was apart and not looking good. One intake valve broke into three pieces and had been bouncing around inside. Piston is chewed up and has hairline cracks in multiple places. So close to breaking apart but luckily held together. Cylinder sleeve has a small groove in it, so I'll have to get it bored out. Obvious! ly also need all new valves. Spark plug is all chewed up as well. Cams and cam journals look okay. We suspect that he just straightened out the old valves and put it back together with the old parts, pocketing the extra money. The valves are pretty coked up for only 30 miles. The side cover shows no signs of being removed, so obviously he never changed the timing chain. In retrospect, he gave me a rotten deal and replaced my relatively minor problem of two bad valves with a major problem that is going to cost me a lot of money. I'm pretty angry about it, but I gotta figure out how to be mobile again. Anyway, two friends happened to be down visiting my brother and I with their van. They have hauled me up to Yuma, AZ. My brother decided to stay behind and soak up the sun. Really no reason for him to hoof it back here just yet, as I hope to have another try at Mexico soon. My friends plan to ride the imperial sand dunes for a few days then return to their home in Salt Lake City. Basically, I'm trying to find someone who can overnight me parts or possibly someone in the area with an engine I can buy. Please let me know if you have a good used head around. There appears to be no Kawasaki dealer with many miles (I was told San Diego). Anyone know of bike junkyards in the south west? Anyone happen in to know of a machine shop in Yuma where i could bore out my cylinder and head? We have tools and my friends have taken KLR motors apart before, so if we had the parts we could do the job ourselves.  If you have any questions, my number 701 609 0690 or I'll be checking my email. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can send photos to anyone interested. Just send me a direct email. Thank you for your advice and any parts you'll sell me off of your garage shelf! Calvin G