helmet study

DSN_KLR650
Porter H. Watson

need help

Post by Porter H. Watson » Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:59 pm

Anyone on list who lives in San Antonio please contact me off list. Need someone to go start my bike and ride it a little. Thanks.---PHW _______________________________________________________ Send a cool gift with your E-Card http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

squidwannabe@hotmail.com

need help

Post by squidwannabe@hotmail.com » Mon Aug 13, 2001 2:07 pm

You'd be surprised what these guys can cure over the net.. What's the problem ?
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Porter H. Watson" wrote: > Anyone on list who lives in San Antonio please contact me off list. Need > someone to go start my bike and ride it a little. Thanks.---PHW > > > > > > _______________________________________________________ > Send a cool gift with your E-Card > http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

Thomas J Komjathy

need help

Post by Thomas J Komjathy » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:29 pm

GlacierOK, here we go...I've been bleeding the brakes on my KiLleR Sis Fiddy. After three bottles of fluid, pumping it through, sucking it through, with a "Mighty Vac", raising the caliper higher than the master cylinder, pumping, and sucking some more, I still have a very spongy lever, which I can squeeze all the way to the grip, very easily. No leaks are evident, anywhere. It has a steel braided line installed...What the F%&* am I missing here. I've done many brakes before, but never have I experienced this. Please, any help would be appreciated. TK Thomas Komjathy DSK Diversified Safety Kompany 1031 E Seminole Drive Byron, GA 31008 (478) 956-5801 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Randall Marbach

need help

Post by Randall Marbach » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:47 pm

Hi Thomas The only thing that I noticed about bleeding the front brake line is to make sure that there are no "loops" in the brake line where air can get trapped. This typically is the case where the brake line comes up from the instrument area over towards the master cylinder. The entire brake line needs to be below the level of the master cylinder. HTH Randy from Burbank --- Thomas J Komjathy wrote:
> > GlacierOK, here we go...I've been bleeding the > brakes on my KiLleR Sis Fiddy. After three bottles > of fluid, pumping it through, sucking it through, > with a "Mighty Vac", raising the caliper higher than > the master cylinder, pumping, and sucking some more, > I still have a very spongy lever, which I can > squeeze all the way to the grip, very easily. No > leaks are evident, anywhere. It has a steel braided > line installed...What the F%&* am I missing here. > I've done many brakes before, but never have I > experienced this. Please, any help would be > appreciated. > > TK > Thomas Komjathy > DSK > Diversified Safety Kompany > 1031 E Seminole Drive > Byron, GA 31008 > (478) 956-5801 > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? The all-new My Yahoo! - What will yours do? http://my.yahoo.com

John Kokola

need help

Post by John Kokola » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:57 pm

Here's a thread from the WERA board regarding this issue. There are a bunch of tricks you can do to get those elusive bubbles out of the system. http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60718 --John Kokola
> -----Original Message----- > From: Thomas J Komjathy [mailto:dskinc@...] > > After three bottles of fluid, pumping it > through, sucking it through, with a "Mighty Vac", raising the > caliper higher than the master cylinder, pumping, and sucking > some more, I still have a very spongy lever, which I can squeeze > all the way to the grip, very easily.

Charles Earl

need help

Post by Charles Earl » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:01 pm

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:36:57 -0500 From: "Thomas J Komjathy" After installing a braided steel front line and speed bleeders, I was having trouble too. Slowly squeezing the lever through it's whole stroke wasn't getting all the air out. So I mimiced what I have seen my motorcycle mechanic friend do. When initially refilling the drained system with fluid, he uses short rapid strokes out in the middle of the lever's travel. Then he finishes the bleeding the normal way. This worked for me and my front brake is rock solid. I only wasted a small amount of new fluid. Why it worked, I have no idea. Not very scientific I know. I'll have to ask my friend why he does this. Charles GlacierOK, here we go...I've been bleeding the brakes on my KiLleR Sis Fiddy. After three bottles of fluid, pumping it through, sucking it through, with a "Mighty Vac", raising the caliper higher than the master cylinder, pumping, and sucking some more, I still have a very spongy lever, which I can squeeze all the way to the grip, very easily. No leaks are evident, anywhere. It has a steel braided line installed...What the F%&* am I missing here. I've done many brakes before, but never have I experienced this. Please, any help would be appreciated. TK Thomas Komjathy DSK Diversified Safety Kompany 1031 E Seminole Drive Byron, GA 31008 (478) 956-5801 __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage less. http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Fred Hink

need help

Post by Fred Hink » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:19 pm

If you have a soft rear brake, I have seen several times where the brakepads have come out of their carrier and caused a soft pedal. It takes a lot of pumping from the front master cylinder to get the all the air out, since the line is much longer. Start with keeping the master cylinder full and bleeding them normally. Once they start to get firm, it should only takes a couple more times till the lever is hard. You are bleeding your brakes by closing the bleeder valve between pumping up the master cylinder, aren't you? Bleeding brakes = pump, pump, pump, hold lever/brake pedal down, open valve, close valve, repeat, etc. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/cmc.html
----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas J Komjathy" To: "KLR Group" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 5:36 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Need help > > GlacierOK, here we go...I've been bleeding the brakes on my KiLleR Sis Fiddy. After three bottles of fluid, pumping it through, sucking it through, with a "Mighty Vac", raising the caliper higher than the master cylinder, pumping, and sucking some more, I still have a very spongy lever, which I can squeeze all the way to the grip, very easily. No leaks are evident, anywhere. It has a steel braided line installed...What the F%&* am I missing here. I've done many brakes before, but never have I experienced this. Please, any help would be appreciated. > > TK > Thomas Komjathy > DSK > Diversified Safety Kompany > 1031 E Seminole Drive > Byron, GA 31008 > (478) 956-5801

Thomas J Komjathy

need help

Post by Thomas J Komjathy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:37 pm

Thanks to all you guys with the brake advice, links etc. Gotter fixed, and ready to ride. TK
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Kokola" To: "Thomas J Komjathy" ; "KLR Group" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 10:00 PM Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Need help > > Here's a thread from the WERA board regarding this issue. There are a bunch > of tricks you can do to get those elusive bubbles out of the system. > > http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60718 > > --John Kokola > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Thomas J Komjathy [mailto:dskinc@...] > > > > After three bottles of fluid, pumping it > > through, sucking it through, with a "Mighty Vac", raising the > > caliper higher than the master cylinder, pumping, and sucking > > some more, I still have a very spongy lever, which I can squeeze > > all the way to the grip, very easily. > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Thomas Komjathy

need help

Post by Thomas Komjathy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:27 pm

Yes folks, the rotor on the new engine I just purchased has officially kicked my ass. Sequence of events are; 1. Rotor puller bolt stripped (took two hours to get it out). 2. Cur stripped portion of puller bolt off, cleaned threads on rotor, then stripped puller bolt again. Yes I gave it a couple of good whacks with a hammer. 3. Cut last portion of puller bolt, turned, wack, turn, wack, turn, wack......stripped puller bolt again, and now the rotor threads are shot. Oh, while wacking the rotor puller bolt, one of the magnets cracked and came off.... Yes, I heated the rotor prior the third attempt. 4. cut a relief in the rotor to help loosen it. I need help here, can anyone give me any suggestion as to how to get this mother F&*(ker off. Thankfully I have another rotor. TK Thomas Komjathy Diversified Safety Konsulting, LLC --------------------------------- All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

need help

Post by Jeff Saline » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:26 pm

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:25:14 -0700 (PDT) Thomas Komjathy writes:
> Yes folks, the rotor on the new engine I just purchased has > officially kicked my ass. > > Sequence of events are; > 1. Rotor puller bolt stripped (took two hours to get it out). > 2. Cur stripped portion of puller bolt off, cleaned threads on > rotor, then stripped puller bolt again. Yes I gave it a couple of > good whacks with a hammer. > 3. Cut last portion of puller bolt, turned, wack, turn, wack, > turn, wack......stripped puller bolt again, and now the rotor > threads are shot. Oh, while wacking the rotor puller bolt, one of > the magnets cracked and came off.... Yes, I heated the rotor prior > the third attempt. > 4. cut a relief in the rotor to help loosen it. > > I need help here, can anyone give me any suggestion as to how > to get this mother F&*(ker off. Thankfully I have another rotor. > > TK > Thomas Komjathy > Diversified Safety Konsulting, LLC
<><><><><><><><> ><><><><><><><><>
Thomas, Sounds like you've got a very stuck rotor. My long distance I can't see, touch or really help solution is... Ddrrrruuuuuummmmmmm roll, please. Find a large grade 8 nut and bolt (fine thread if possible) that will approximate the diameter of the puller. Weld the nut on the end of the rotor. You now have new threads on the end of the rotor. Maybe do the El Kroko anti-seize on the washer and bolt end trick to make the bolt move a bit easier. I'd probably also put some anti-seize on the bolt/puller threads. Then I'd also probably put some oil in the hole so if I was lucky I'd get some hydraulic pressure. Once the bolt/puller was in place and tight I'd start welding a bead around the rotor where it surrounds the end of the crank. This is just to provide extreme heat to the rotor for hopeful expansion. Then I'd probably do what you've already done with the hammer whacks on the end of the bolt/puller with some more tightening it too. Maybe a couple of passes around the entire rotor would be needed to get the rotor pretty darn hot. If that didn't work my next attempt would probably involve a plasma cutter, cut off wheel and a prayer or two. Good luck, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT