selling a 2010

DSN_KLR650
kaykuri

mystery tube

Post by kaykuri » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi all. I have the Clymer's manual for my '08, but sometimes it isn't much help when I don't know what it is I'm looking at. Underneath the seat and on the right side (starboard) there is a tube running just below the subframe up toward the engine. What does this tube do and where should it be connected? Mine appears to be hanging loose and a spider has been living in the end of it. Can it be reconnected to its proper place without pulling the fuel tank? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DSN_KLR650/photos/albums/266062319/lightbox/1183397015?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL  Many thanks, John

Ateam

mystery tube

Post by Ateam » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Could it be a vent line from a T mod? Ateam   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, September 05, 2015 9:25 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Mystery tube     Hi all. I have the Clymer's manual for my '08, but sometimes it isn't much help when I don't know what it is I'm looking at. Underneath the seat and on the right side (starboard) there is a tube running just below the subframe up toward the engine. What does this tube do and where should it be connected? Mine appears to be hanging loose and a spider has been living in the end of it. Can it be reconnected to its proper place without pulling the fuel tank? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DSN_KLR650/photos/albums/266062319/lightbox/1183397015?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL

Many thanks, John

SniperOne308

mystery tube

Post by SniperOne308 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Looks identical to the T mod vent line I had on my '00 KLR.Randy Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone -------- Original message -------- From: "'Ateam' ateam@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: 09/05/2015 11:35 PM (GMT-07:00) To: kaykuri@..., DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Mystery tube   Could it be a vent line from a T mod? Ateam   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, September 05, 2015 9:25 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Mystery tube     Hi all. I have the Clymer's manual for my '08, but sometimes it isn't much help when I don't know what it is I'm looking at. Underneath the seat and on the right side (starboard) there is a tube running just below the subframe up toward the engine. What does this tube do and where should it be connected? Mine appears to be hanging loose and a spider has been living in the end of it. Can it be reconnected to its proper place without pulling the fuel tank? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DSN_KLR650/photos/albums/266062319/lightbox/1183397015?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL  Many thanks, John

RobertWichert

mystery tube

Post by RobertWichert » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 am

Try this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diveeBMr0CU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNiI9qCysck Could be the prior owner made this mod. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C HERS I/II CEPE CEA BPI CERTIFIED SF/MF GREEN POINT RATER +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 =============================================== On 9/5/2015 8:25 PM, kaykuri@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
Hi all. I have the Clymer's manual for my '08, but sometimes it isn't much help when I don't know what it is I'm looking at. Underneath the seat and on the right side (starboard) there is a tube running just below the subframe up toward the engine. What does this tube do and where should it be connected? Mine appears to be hanging loose and a spider has been living in the end of it. Can it be reconnected to its proper place without pulling the fuel tank? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DSN_KLR650/photos/albums/266062319/lightbox/1183397015?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL Many thanks, John

John's Yahoo account

mystery tube

Post by John's Yahoo account » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks, I will have to try to see if that's what it is. Now that I look at the T-mod online, it sure looks like one. I bought this one used with about 3k miles, so honestly I'm not sure whether that was done. I thought not because there is actually a pic in the Clymer's manual showing a similar tube (pg. 290, fig. 23, though it doesn't say what it is) and I guess I assumed they would use a stock bike for the manual. John
-- Sent from my HP TouchPad

SniperOne308

mystery tube

Post by SniperOne308 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:43 pm

John,Sometimes owners skip the "T" part and just run the vent line under the seat.Randy Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone -------- Original message -------- From: "'John's Yahoo account' kaykuri@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: 09/06/2015 9:40 AM (GMT-07:00) To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Mystery tube   Thanks, I will have to try to see if that's what it is. Now that I look at the T-mod online, it sure looks like one. I bought this one used with about 3k miles, so honestly I'm not sure whether that was done. I thought not because there is actually a pic in the Clymer's manual showing a similar tube (pg. 290, fig. 23, though it doesn't say what it is) and I guess I assumed they would use a stock bike for the manual. John -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

Norm Keller

mystery tube

Post by Norm Keller » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:53 pm

That pink tube is the float bowl vent. On Gen1 the vent hose runs down near the swing arm and on Gen2, it runs up near the battery. The purpose is to provide outside air/atmospheric air pressure to the carb float bowl. It is this pressure which is responsible for forcing fuel from the jets so blocking the vent will shut off fuel almost instantly, resulting in engine shut down until pressure is restored. On Gen1, water spray would sometimes hit the tube opening and the water was enough to block air pressure which resulted in a "not spark type" shut down. The bowl vent Tee mod was developed to provide a hose leading up in addition to the one leading down. In this mod, there is always an open hose to provide air to the float bowl and any air entering the top hose will simply drain out the bottom one by way to the Tee.

Kawasaki seemed to react to the issue with the Gen2 system which runs the vent hose up high. This seems more trouble free but water entering that hose will drain into the carb so, while better,  it can be improved by adding the bowl vent Tee mod and a lower hose as with the Gen1. Both are better with the bowl vent Tee mod but require adding the other hose.

63urban

selling a 2010

Post by 63urban » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Awesome  I'll try that as well Sent from my Samsung device over Bell's LTE network. -------- Original message -------- From: "'Norm Keller' normkel32@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: 09-07-2015 2:04 PM (GMT-05:00) To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Selling a 2010   Unless you wish to restrict to only one venue, this one has quite wide exposure so might be an addition to your local Craigs List, Kijiji or others:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/KLR650sswapandshop/

John Weisgerber

mystery tube

Post by John Weisgerber » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks again for the help. I suspect Randy and Norm are right, and this was just the stock Gen 2 tube run up under the seat rather than down by the swingarm, which became disconnected at some point. There are literally cobwebs and a spider carcass in the tube (not so conducive to airflow), so it may have been a while. But I have not done any water crossings etc. in a long time so it's been running okay. After further study, this appears to be an "overflow" tube in addition to a vent (per Clymer's e.g.) and extra gas may come out of their as well, especially if you put it down on its side as I will frequently do ;). So it seems to me that just having the one tube flowing upward is not such a great idea either. The T-mod is so cheap as to be a no-brainer that I will go ahead and get a valve and some tubing and do that. Cheers, John