smartphone & tablet? app pocket

DSN_KLR650
Peter Dore

vairing voltage. shop charges for some repairs question

Post by Peter Dore » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:51 am

Hi,

My battery died right when I needed an inspection, battery was maintenance free, kept on a smart trickle charger  from Fred, and only 8 months old, so I asked the shop to check it out while doing the inspection. 

They said voltage regulator was bad and over charging the battery, and fried it.  So $10 for inspection, and $140 for a yuasa maintenance free battery, and $380 for voltage regulator and labor.  

$533 in all,      this seems high to me, how bad am I getting screwed? 

Peter Dore’

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:04 am

Retail on the Yuasa maintenance free battery is about $100.  The regulator/rectifier from Kawasaki is $170 or aftermarket about $100.  Sounds like their labor rates and what they charged you for the parts are pretty high. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:51 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Vairing Voltage. Shop charges for some repairs question     Hi,   My battery died right when I needed an inspection, battery was maintenance free, kept on a smart trickle charger  from Fred, and only 8 months old, so I asked the shop to check it out while doing the inspection. 

They said voltage regulator was bad and over charging the battery, and fried it.  So $10 for inspection, and $140 for a yuasa maintenance free battery, and $380 for voltage regulator and labor.  

$533 in all,      this seems high to me, how bad am I getting screwed? 

Peter Dore

achesley43@ymail.com

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:52 pm

The on going saga on the vairling voltage continues. Check the bladed fuse set up I have under the seat and lo and behold, Pulling on the wiring separated one of my fantastic soldier joints.  LOL! So, I cut all 4 joints off and used butt connectors. So Far, Knock on wood, I've never had a butt connector fail. But, the fat lady has not sung yet as I've not got the bike back to running just yet. May initial find was with the seat on and going down the road with it pressing on the wireing under the seat. The bench test was with the seat off and no pressure on the wiring. So, just maybe that had the effect. We'll see. ;=)  After getting the part I ordered from Fred last Sunday and received via USPS yesterdays mail run, I put the carb back on and connected the enrichnner piston assy on. All wiring back zip tied and ready to come down when I go back out. Still need to do a finale tighten and adjustment on the bracket at the lop left fork tube assbly. Then , mount the tank with the new manual fuel valve and fire it up. Probably wait till the cool of the morning to put the 276C on it and go for a test ride. My 1250S Bandit is loving it as it's getting all the ride duties the last few days to the tune of about 250 miles in the last few days. But, with an honest 75+ thousand miles on it in the last 6 years, it needs a break. ;-) 

achesley43@ymail.com

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:46 am

All good on the test run this morning.  Last run was 14.3V for about a mile at 5000 rpm in 5th. !st run was 13.9 to 14.1 for same mile at 5500 rpm tops. All looking good so far. 

achesley43@ymail.com

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Well, the Acid Test proved fruitful this afternoon on my 50 mile jaunt about the country side with about 50% gravel roads at the 40 - 45 mph range with the rest on some beat up, some brand new sealed roads. I most ran 50-55 on the sealed stuff that was not too ruff and did get a run up to 80 mph for about 3 miles. The voltage is back to normal from what I can remember it doing. 14.1 to 14.3 volts and going down to lower voltage at idle of course. While I had the carb off, I drilled the slide and shim the needle also as I had not done this on this '08 or '09 carb since I had put it on a few years back. Runs a little cooler now. Actually, the bike was never to a point it would not run. Just wanted to play and didn't like the voltage thing, But it had never showed below 13.5V which would keep the battery charged plenty good. It may have been like this for the last 6 or 7 thousand miles as I had not had the 267C on it till last week. And the Montana does not show voltage. Someone mention Diagnostic time in shops. Pooo Yiiii, Electrical problems absolutely suck when trouble shooting. Sure, You can check components by the book and load test a battery, but go find a bad connection , a broken or shorting wine in a harness.  Been there and done that too many times when I was in a shop. The soldiering job was my fault and I know better. But, I did that job about 10 years ago so it lasted longer than most people keep their bikes ;-)  Heck , I did HAM Radio for years before I got bored with it and built quite a few projects in my radio dum period with out solder failures. But, did put a few transistors and diodes in backwards a few times and had to find that. So, it's all good and I'm happy with the KLR again and was nice to have that added suspension on our fine back roads down here in South Louisiana. ;-)   

Ateam Consulting

Post by Ateam Consulting » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:01 pm

[b]Heck , I did HAM Radio for years before I got bored with it and built quite a few projects in my radio dum period with out solder failures.[/b] [b][/b]  [b]Classic line right here.[/b] [b]Ateam[/b]   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, October 03, 2014 4:46 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Vairing Voltage. Shop charges for some repairs question    

Well, the Acid Test proved fruitful this afternoon on my 50 mile jaunt about the country side with about 50% gravel roads at the 40 - 45 mph range with the rest on some beat up, some brand new sealed roads. I most ran 50-55 on the sealed stuff that was not too ruff and did get a run up to 80 mph for about 3 miles.  The voltage is back to normal from what I can remember it doing. 14.1 to 14.3 volts and going down to lower voltage at idle of course. While I had the carb off, I drilled the slide and shim the needle also as I had not done this on this '08 or '09 carb since I had put it on a few years back. Runs a little cooler now. Actually, the bike was never to a point it would not run. Just wanted to play and didn't like the voltage thing, But it had never showed below 13.5V which would keep the battery charged plenty good. It may have been like this for the last 6 or 7 thousand miles as I had not had the 267C on it till last week. And the Montana does not show voltage. Someone mention Diagnostic time in shops. Pooo Yiiii, Electrical problems absolutely suck when trouble shooting. Sure, You can check components by the book and load test a battery, but go find a bad connection , a broken or shorting wine in a harness.  Been there and done that too many times when I was in a shop. The soldiering job was my fault and I know better. But, I did that job about 10 years ago so it lasted longer than most people keep their bikes ;-)  Heck , I did HAM Radio for years before I got bored with it and built quite a few projects in my radio dum period with out solder failures. But, did put a few transistors and diodes in backwards a few times and had to find that. So, it's all good and I'm happy with the KLR again and was nice to have that added suspension on our fine back roads down here in South Louisiana. ;-)  

63urban

smartphone & tablet? app pocket

Post by 63urban » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks Mark I can think of dozens of uses
Nick
Sent from Samsung Mobile
-------- Original message --------
Date:10-09-2014 9:35 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: List KLR
Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Smartphone & Tablet? app POCKET

Yes this is a KLR topic (TOOL)   
 A TECHY TOOL SO EASY! EVEN I  LEARNED HOW USE IT IN 2 MINUTES.
A Google app called Pocket, allows you to, SAVE WEB PAGES ETC. IN YOUR PHONE, for later reading etc. 
Read / look at, Even when NO cell tower or web connection.
I plan on saving several pages like the New Color Coded Wiring Diagrams, and a few other KLR Service Pages, I may need on AND OFF ROAD. 
On Longer trips, (knowing I go off road alone) I have packed the large Clymer Manual. Square inch's? about the same as the air pump.
When you add this "free" App,    Pull up a web page, you just hit share, (as with FB etc etc) then touch Pocket. (While Most are Alphabetically listed, Pocket is on top listed as "ADD POCKET"

Mark (W. MI.)