transmission woes

DSN_KLR650
gremoby61

welding a centerstand on a 2002klr.....

Post by gremoby61 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:13 pm

KLR-ista's Greetings from Germany.....duo questions from a daily reader, mostly lurker: I'm thinking about MIG welding my centerstand to the frame of my 2002 KLR, to save the footpeg bolts from loosening and screwing up the threads......I'd like your comments/recommendations/complaints, etc. 1. Is this a good idea? Pros/cons I'm worried about welding and the repercussions of welding to the KLR's electrical system. What steps will I have to take to protect the electrical system when welding the centerstand tabs to the footpeg mounts? (If any)? 1. Remove the battery? 2. Isolate any portion of the E-system? I've welded Jeeps and many other toys both in garage and in the field, will I need to remove the fuel tank from the KLR? It's snowing and -4 C att, but riding weather is just around the corner, so I'd like to mentally prep for this mod to do sometime in the next 3 weeks. I intend to take a trip to the Baltic through Berlin this summer, visiting all the former soviet fighter bases that used to be in the DDR....the center stand is invaluable and I'd like to make it a permanent, reliable part of the KLR. Should I have missed anything, please advise: Thanks for your advice, recommendations, flames, etc., in advance. VR, Harry, Ramstein, Germany 2002 KLR

Jeff Saline

Post by Jeff Saline » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 pm

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:13:00 -0000 "gremoby61" writes:
> KLR-ista's > > Greetings from Germany.....duo questions from a daily reader, mostly > lurker: > > I'm thinking about MIG welding my centerstand to the frame of my > 2002 KLR, to save the footpeg bolts from loosening and screwing up > the threads......I'd like your comments/recommendations/complaints, > etc. > > 1. Is this a good idea? Pros/cons > > I'm worried about welding and the repercussions of welding to the > KLR's electrical system. > > What steps will I have to take to protect the electrical system when > welding the centerstand tabs to the footpeg mounts? (If any)? > > 1. Remove the battery? > > 2. Isolate any portion of the E-system? > > I've welded Jeeps and many other toys both in garage and in the > field, will I need to remove the fuel tank from the KLR? > > It's snowing and -4 C att, but riding weather is just around the > corner, so I'd like to mentally prep for this mod to do sometime in > the next 3 weeks. > > I intend to take a trip to the Baltic through Berlin this summer, > visiting all the former soviet fighter bases that used to be in the > DDR....the center stand is invaluable and I'd like to make it a > permanent, reliable part of the KLR. > > Should I have missed anything, please advise: Thanks for your > advice, recommendations, flames, etc., in advance. > > VR, > > Harry, Ramstein, Germany > 2002 KLR
<><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><> Harry, I've welded on a few Gen I KLRs with good results. Just disconnect the battery and put the ground for the welding leads as near the weld as you can. Make sure you are not welding with an electrical path through moving parts like bearings or pivots. I doubt you'll need to remove the fuel tank for this procedure but caution is better than remedial action. : ) The concern I'd have with welding the centerstand to the frame is the frame needs to be spread to remove/install the uni-track pivot (i.e. rear suspension linkage). As long as you keep the welds in a place where you can easily grind them off if needed I think you'll be ok. If I was going to do this to my KLR (I also use a centerstand with 10mm bolts) I would service the rear suspension linkage before welding the centerstand in place. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . ____________________________________________________________ How to Sleep Like a Rock Obey this one natural trick to fall asleep and stay asleep all night. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/512a7118b13a471180f32st03vuc

Jud

Post by Jud » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:31 pm

"Is this a good idea?" No, not because welding will hurt the bike, but because a center stand on a KLR is a bad idea. So why make it harder to undo?
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "gremoby61" wrote: > > KLR-ista's > > Greetings from Germany.....duo questions from a daily reader, mostly lurker: > > I'm thinking about MIG welding my centerstand to the frame of my 2002 KLR, to save the footpeg bolts from loosening and screwing up the threads......I'd like your comments/recommendations/complaints, etc. > > 1. Is this a good idea? Pros/cons > > I'm worried about welding and the repercussions of welding to the KLR's electrical system. > > What steps will I have to take to protect the electrical system when welding the centerstand tabs to the footpeg mounts? (If any)? > > 1. Remove the battery? > > 2. Isolate any portion of the E-system? > > I've welded Jeeps and many other toys both in garage and in the field, will I need to remove the fuel tank from the KLR? > > It's snowing and -4 C att, but riding weather is just around the corner, so I'd like to mentally prep for this mod to do sometime in the next 3 weeks. > > I intend to take a trip to the Baltic through Berlin this summer, visiting all the former soviet fighter bases that used to be in the DDR....the center stand is invaluable and I'd like to make it a permanent, reliable part of the KLR. > > Should I have missed anything, please advise: Thanks for your advice, recommendations, flames, etc., in advance. > > VR, > > Harry, Ramstein, Germany > 2002 KLR >

achesley43@ymail.com

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:33 am

I've welded , both stick and wire fed , on my '00 KLR several times in the 13 years I've had it with no problems. To the side stand and center stand a few times and to a luggage rack I had on it at one time. Just be sure , as Jeff said , to put the ground on the part your welding to the bike if possible and not have current go through any bearings or bushing. I've thought about tack welding the centerstand to the frame and then same to the footpegs, but never did. Went with stronger bolts and red lock tite. I still always check them pretty often but only had them come a bit loose a few times before the stronger bolts and lock tite. Now, about 20,000 miles since going that way and never found them loose once in my checks. And , in the past, I have spent good time on the pegs with my 250 lbs on some pretty ruff roads. Now a slimmer 200 lbs and more gentle riding, I'm sure they are thanking me for that. ;-)

Desert Datsuns

Post by Desert Datsuns » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Physically welding the frame isn't a problem. I personally would never do a modification like that to my bikes though. It's very difficult to reverse if need be down the line, for either you, or the next owner. What if, for some reason, you need to take it off to get some work done? Then you're screwed. Of what if the next owner doesn't want the center stand, then he's screwed. I keep all of my mods easily reversible. Welding the frame is not something I'd do. Ryan Phoenix, AZ achesley43@... wrote:
> > > I've welded , both stick and wire fed , on my '00 KLR several times in > the 13 years I've had it with no problems. To the side stand and center > stand a few times and to a luggage rack I had on it at one time. Just be > sure , as Jeff said , to put the ground on the part your welding to the > bike if possible and not have current go through any bearings or bushing. > I've thought about tack welding the centerstand to the frame and then > same to the footpegs, but never did. Went with stronger bolts and red > lock tite. I still always check them pretty often but only had them come > a bit loose a few times before the stronger bolts and lock tite. Now, > about 20,000 miles since going that way and never found them loose once > in my checks. And , in the past, I have spent good time on the pegs with > my 250 lbs on some pretty ruff roads. Now a slimmer 200 lbs and more > gentle riding, I'm sure they are thanking me for that. ;-) > > > > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com http://www.avg.com> > Version: 2012.0.2238 / Virus Database: 2641/5630 - Release Date: 02/25/13 >

John Weisgerber

Post by John Weisgerber » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 pm

At the risk of starting "one of those threads," this just screams for explanation ;) John [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

bigburlybaldbeardedbiker

Post by bigburlybaldbeardedbiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:40 pm

On a trip to Baja, my footpeg broke off and I ended up getting it and my centerstand welded on. It worked out fine for a few years, including pulling the engine. Later on, I parted out that bike and ground off the weld to remove the centerstand and sell the frame. It worked out just fine. And, despite what Jud says, I really like to have a centerstand on my KLR. Paul Streeter [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm

I'll quote Gino Pakluda who started the newsletter whose readers and writers became the first klr group I know of, " Every motorcycle should have a center stand. " Gino was speaking ex cathedra. Bogdan From: "pdstreeter@..." > Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:40 AM To: "DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.comDSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.comDSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>> Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Welding a centerstand on a 2002KLR..... On a trip to Baja, my footpeg broke off and I ended up getting it and my centerstand welded on. It worked out fine for a few years, including pulling the engine. Later on, I parted out that bike and ground off the weld to remove the centerstand and sell the frame. It worked out just fine. And, despite what Jud says, I really like to have a centerstand on my KLR. Paul Streeter [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

greg saunders

Post by greg saunders » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Hey Paul, Have you chosen a date for Tech Day yet? I guess I'm assuming you plan to have it. And I'm not trying to rush you, just trying to be sure and have that Saturday free so I can come. Thanks, Greg To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com From: pdstreeter@... Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:40:29 -0600 Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Welding a centerstand on a 2002KLR..... On a trip to Baja, my footpeg broke off and I ended up getting it and my centerstand welded on. It worked out fine for a few years, including pulling the engine. Later on, I parted out that bike and ground off the weld to remove the centerstand and sell the frame. It worked out just fine. And, despite what Jud says, I really like to have a centerstand on my KLR. Paul Streeter [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud

Post by Jud » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I don't really remember any of Gino's pronouncements. But I remember another guy back then who used to pontificate on the subject of KLRs. The expression that came to mind was "papal bull....".
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Bogdan Swider wrote: > > I'll quote Gino Pakluda who started the newsletter whose readers and writers became the first klr group I know of, " Every motorcycle should have a center stand. " Gino was speaking ex cathedra. > > Bogdan > > > > From: "pdstreeter@..." > > Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:40 AM > To: "DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.comDSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.comDSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>> > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Welding a centerstand on a 2002KLR..... > > > > On a trip to Baja, my footpeg broke off and I ended up getting it and my > centerstand welded on. It worked out fine for a few years, including > pulling the engine. > > Later on, I parted out that bike and ground off the weld to remove the > centerstand and sell the frame. It worked out just fine. > > And, despite what Jud says, I really like to have a centerstand on my KLR. > > Paul Streeter > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >