new? bike lift/jack

DSN_KLR650
R. Kaub

fork braces

Post by R. Kaub » Tue Jun 13, 2000 8:41 am

>> What did help, however, was the addition of the Happy Trails fork brace. the Highway to Fred's shop was milled and grooved. Tim wanted me to try his fork brace out, so I bolted one up at Fred's shop. Then I had to hustle into town to run errands. Looked down at my speedo, 75mph and the front end was about as calm as it has ever been. Too early to tell if the fork brace may be the answer to running an aggressive knobbie in front and not having to take out a life insurance policy when riding on pavement, but it seems that way now.
>>>>> > >Gino: >I've been kinda looking for any feedback/comments on Tim's fork brace. >While I'd call myself one of the more sedate riders on the list, I'm for
any upgrades which make the bike less likely to spit me off.
>Riding in muddy ruts is about my most not fun way to get somewhere and I
was wondering if fork braces would do anything to stabilize the bike a bit as the front tire bounces from side to side in the rut.
>I've learned to "get loose" and not overcontrol and to look way ahead and
not down but the pucker factor takes some of the fun out of it for me.
>Do you think fork braces would make any meaningful difference for me? >Thanks. >
Bob Kaub

KLR650@webtv.net

fork braces

Post by KLR650@webtv.net » Wed Sep 20, 2000 12:05 am

I saw Tim B. from Happy Tails at the FSSNOC rally in Jackson Ca. last week. It was a good rally, 109 people showed up. Over 39 bikes were represented, BSA's ,Triumphs, Vellocette, Matchless, etc. Yamaha SR500 was most popular ,F650 came in second, and the KLR was the third most popular. I went over Ebbets pass On Hwy 4 while I was there and "found" a great lake called Highlands lake, before Markleeville. I bought two fork braces from Tim, one for each KLR. Today I rode from Cambria to San Rafael Ca on Hwy 1 and highly recommend the happy trails fork brace. The bike no longer gets squirrely in crosswinds or corners, I like it. Tommorrow I continue up Hwy 1 for awhile. Sept 28 my KLR goes in to the dealer (Diablo Kawi/BMW) for all new balancer parts. (old style). Conall A4 KLR650 Skyhawk

Ryan Newman

fork braces

Post by Ryan Newman » Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:01 am

I haven't had my bike too long now, but I've had it on enough trails to notice the front end "wash" that occurs in the dirt. I was riding down a sandy wash portion of a trail and the front end was ALL over the place. I almost thought I'd lose it. I used to have a R100GS-PD that ran MUCH better on this sort of thing, also a much heavier bike, but it did have a cast fork brace. I'm running on the stock tires on the KLR. I've heard that fork braces help a lot with this sort of stuff. I also noticed that DualStar and HappyTrails are pretty proud (read: expensive) of their fork braces. $200 is a bit steep for me, and probably just about everyone else. Does anyone else make a cheaper one? I don't need anything high-tech or fancy, just something that does the job. Maybe a little closer to $50. Thanks. Ryan Phoenix

k650dsn@aol.com

fork braces

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:23 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Ryan Newman" wrote: I also noticed that DualStar and > HappyTrails are pretty proud (read: expensive) of their fork braces. $200 is > a bit steep for me, and probably just about everyone else. Does anyone else > make a cheaper one? I don't need anything high-tech or fancy, just something > that does the job. Maybe a little closer to $50. Thanks. > Ryan > Phoenix With all due respect, I think you are dreamin' if you want a fork brace for $50.00... unless you make your own. The reason the Happy Trails is "proud" of their fork brace is because it works and they took the effort to make one. Gino

zootpatutie

fork braces

Post by zootpatutie » Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:58 am

Happy Trail's recent flyer included with the radiator guards I ordered show a price reduction on the fork brace to $170. Todd A3 A9
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 6:23 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Fork Braces > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Ryan Newman" wrote: > I also noticed that > DualStar and > > HappyTrails are pretty proud (read: expensive) of their fork braces. > $200 is > > a bit steep for me, and probably just about everyone else. Does > anyone else > > make a cheaper one? I don't need anything high-tech or fancy, just > something > > that does the job. Maybe a little closer to $50. Thanks. > > Ryan > > Phoenix > > With all due respect, I think you are dreamin' if you want a fork > brace for $50.00... unless you make your own. The reason the Happy > Trails is "proud" of their fork brace is because it works and they > took the effort to make one. > > Gino > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Conall O'Brien

fork braces

Post by Conall O'Brien » Wed Oct 17, 2001 5:34 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Ryan Newman" wrote:
> I haven't had my bike too long now, but I've had it on enough
trails to
> notice the front end "wash" that occurs in the dirt. I was riding
down a
> sandy wash portion of a trail and the front end was ALL over the
place. I
> almost thought I'd lose it. I used to have a R100GS-PD that ran
MUCH better
> on this sort of thing, also a much heavier bike, but it did have a
cast fork
> brace. I'm running on the stock tires on the KLR. I've heard that
fork
> braces help a lot with this sort of stuff. I also noticed that
DualStar and
> HappyTrails are pretty proud (read: expensive) of their fork
braces. $200 is
> a bit steep for me, and probably just about everyone else. Does
anyone else
> make a cheaper one? I don't need anything high-tech or fancy, just
something
> that does the job. Maybe a little closer to $50. Thanks. > Ryan > Phoenix

David Beyea

fork braces

Post by David Beyea » Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:33 am

I have decided to get a fork brace but am having a hard time choosing which one. So far the black brace that Fred sells seems to be the best one, but was on the Dual Star sight and the one they have looks cool too. The image they have shown of the brace is on a bike (not a klr, I e mailed them )that does not have boots but instead has plastic guards to protect the sliders. How does the list feel about not using boot? I think it looks cool, i.e. moto look, but would not do if it leads to screwed up forks. Also does any one believe that one brace is better than another. Dual Star brace looks cool but also seems a little thin and flexible. David Beyea A15 Santa Maria, Ca __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail! http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

John Lyon

fork braces

Post by John Lyon » Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:17 pm

David, Not to make your selection more confusing, but have you checked out the K-9 fork brace from happytrails ? www.happy-trail.com John --- David Beyea wrote:
> I have decided to get a fork brace but am having a > hard time choosing which one. So far the black > brace > that Fred sells seems to be the best one, but was on > the Dual Star sight and the one they have looks cool > too. The image they have shown of the brace is on a > bike (not a klr, I e mailed them )that does not have > boots but instead has plastic guards to protect the > sliders. > How does the list feel about not using boot? I > think it looks cool, i.e. moto look, but would not > do > if it leads to screwed up forks. Also does any one > believe that one brace is better than another. Dual > Star brace looks cool but also seems a little thin > and > flexible. > > David Beyea > A15 > Santa Maria, Ca
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail! http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Miata Myk

fork braces

Post by Miata Myk » Sat Jan 12, 2002 1:31 am

> Not to make your selection more confusing, but have > you checked out the K-9 fork brace from happytrails ? > > www.happy-trail.com
It says it has it on the applications page but I can't find it anywhere on the site including pics or prices..?

John Lyon

fork braces

Post by John Lyon » Sat Jan 12, 2002 11:02 am

Miata: Tim may have forgotten to add the K-9 fork brace link during his last web page update. The brace was $200 the last time I checked. For pictures check out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/files/Suspension/%20ForkBrace.jpg John --- Miata Myk wrote:
> > Not to make your selection more confusing, but > have > > you checked out the K-9 fork brace from > happytrails ? > > > > www.happy-trail.com > > It says it has it on the applications page but I > can't find it anywhere on > the site including pics or prices..? > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail! http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/