another reason to ride a motorcycle.

DSN_KLR650
Van

front tire

Post by Van » Mon Aug 14, 2000 3:31 pm

I would like info on Tires. I went through the archives and there is a bunch of reviews. All I want is a 90% road / 10% dirt tire, mostly rain. Since it rains a whole bunch here in germany and they have mostly packed off raod trails. Any suggestions?? Thanks, Van

Gary Ott

front tire

Post by Gary Ott » Mon Aug 14, 2000 4:32 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, BCSavWill@c... wrote:
> Hi, > Dunlop D604 > METZLER ENDURO 4 > Bridgestone TW 101/125 > Mitchelin Sirac DS > Pirelli MT 70 is a very good 50/50, my opinion only. > Pirelli MT 90 Scorpion > Regards, > Brian > A14
I have Metzler Enduro 4's on my KLR. I would say that they are more like 95%-5%. I've had more aggressive street tires. I agree, the others are good choices. PS:The Enduro 4's are wearing extremely well. Gary Ott

John Shepherd

front tire

Post by John Shepherd » Mon Aug 14, 2000 5:06 pm

Van, Avon Gripsters (Model AM 24 tube type). I live in Portland, OR with terrain and weather much like Germany (or so I have been told, we are on nearly the same lattitude). I ride in the rain a lot too and just wore out my first rear Gripster. I got 11,000 miles (yes that's MILES not KILOMETERS!) out of it. They have handled great on the road in all weather conditions from cold rain to hot (100 deg.) desert. They do very well on forest service roads and light trails but SUCK in sand and mud! For a true 90% / 10% tire they are extreemely hard to beat. P.S. Best prices in the universe for Avon Gripsters can be had at: http://www.onoffroad.com/ John "Rider" Shepherd (Portland, OR) 1996 KLR 650 A10 2000 Super Sherpa (wife's) 1990 KLR 250 (#1 son's) 1986 Montesa COTA 123 (for sale) 1979 Yamaha DT 125 (#2 son's) PW50 (looking) (daughter's)
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, " Van" wrote: > I would like info on Tires. > > I went through the archives and there is a bunch of reviews. > > All I want is a 90% road / 10% dirt tire, mostly rain. Since it > rains > a whole bunch here in germany and they have mostly packed off raod > trails. > > Any suggestions?? > > Thanks, > > Van

Van

front tire

Post by Van » Tue Aug 15, 2000 12:47 am

Thank you all for the fast responses, I have the Dennis Kirk dirt bike catalog and looked at all the responses. I liked them all and will have to go into the economy here and check out the prices see if there cheaper?? But I must say the Avons are looking pretty good and with the response from John Shepherd: "I live in Portland, OR with terrain and weather much like Germany (or so I have been told, we are on nearly the same lattitude)" I might just buy one of these. I've heard all but good stories about AVON Gripsters. Thanks again, Van A7 Once again the list has come through.

Jim Hyman

front tire

Post by Jim Hyman » Tue Aug 15, 2000 4:20 am

Van, Keep in mind that Dennis Kirt will beat a competor's price by $1.00 if you point it out to them at the time you order. Their service is excellent. Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse may have lower prices, but several listers have said that MAW's service is erratic at best. I just ordered a helmet from D-K & it cost $1 less than MAW's price (I saved $21). D-K has free shipping on orders over $100. I paid extra to get UPS 3-day delivery, hopefully in time for Tim's Swiftwater ralley next week. We'll see. Professor A9 Federal Way, WA. [USA] ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ --- " Van" wrote:
> Thank you all for the fast responses, > > I have the Dennis Kirk dirt bike catalog and looked at all the > responses. I liked them all and will have to go into the economy > here and check out the prices see if there cheaper?? >
[snip]

Jim Hyman

front tire

Post by Jim Hyman » Tue Aug 15, 2000 5:15 am

D-K will match the price IF they stock the EXACT same item, clearance section or not. I don't think that MAW offers free shipping at any price. Correct me if I'm wrong. MAW had the Bieffe 3-sport helmet for $61.45 in their clearance section (pre 1999 model & limited size selection) and the newer 3-sport for sale at $99.95. I opted for the newer model & D-K met MAW's price. Professor ++++++++++++++++++++++++++ --- "Mark Wilson" wrote:
> > I ordered a helmet from MAW, but it was on the clearance > section. I dont know if DK will match that. I got a Nolan > N100 for $150. It was a XXL for my big head. > The helmet is nice, and was delivered on time. > I just got lucky and found the one I wanted in the clearance > section. > > MotorMark> >
Professor wrote:
> > Van, > > > > Keep in mind that Dennis Kirt will beat a competor's price by > > $1.00 if you point it out to them at the time you order. > > > > Their service is excellent. Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse > > may have lower prices, but several listers have said that > > MAW's service is erratic at best. > > > > I just ordered a helmet from D-K & it cost $1 less than > > MAW's price (I saved $21). D-K has free shipping on orders > > over $100. I paid extra to get UPS 3-day delivery, hopefully > > in time for Tim's Swiftwater ralley next week. We'll see.

Brad Davis

front tire

Post by Brad Davis » Tue Aug 15, 2000 7:50 am

Does anyone know what the %on/%off stats are on the stock Dunlops mounted on our beloved KLR's? Knowing this might give me a better feel for what kind of tire I would like to put on next. Thanks, Brad Davis A9 3k (with original Dunlops)

ATO137528@aol.com

front tire

Post by ATO137528@aol.com » Tue Aug 28, 2001 2:43 pm

Has anyone found a 3.25 front besides a Kenda 270? (I can handle the BACK getting loose on the pavement, but NOT the front!) What are my choices? Lamar A14 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

guymanbro@excite.com

front tire

Post by guymanbro@excite.com » Tue Aug 28, 2001 4:09 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., ATO137528@a... wrote:
> Has anyone found a 3.25 front besides a Kenda 270? (I can handle
the BACK getting loose on the pavement, but NOT the front!) What are my choices?
> > Lamar > A14
FWIW I have the Kenda K270 up front and haven't had it "get loose" on me yet. The lugs are pretty closely spaced on the front. dat brooklyn bum (don't know of another 3.25)

daveygwhiz

front tire

Post by daveygwhiz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:42 pm

I don't recall who suggested these tires, but I have to report my findings: I have one mile of gravel road (Class II roadbase) before I get to the asphalt. I haven't gone off-road into the dirt/mud for years so it was time to switch from the more aggressive Conti TKC80 or the cheaper IRC-GP110. (I was getting only 3k miles on the rear from either). I went with the Kenda 65H on the rear and Shinko E705 up front. I'm surprised how well the Kenda handles the gravel and of course is much smoother on the pavement. However the front Shinko tends to dance on top of the gravel in turns...a bit unnerving. I checked three times that I mounted it as recommended for rotation direction. It still seems odd looking at it with the "V" pattern pointing backward. It's the opposite of the rear Kenda. Should I flip it over? Anyone else with the same experience? best to all, Dave