klr jetting / pipe questions

DSN_KLR650
Brian Legg

klr jetting / pipe questions

Post by Brian Legg » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:03 am

I am about 600 ft above sea level in Wisconsin.
On Sep 2, 2012 1:50 AM, "Cox, John" wrote: > ** > Just putting the stock muffler on without changing the jetting would > probably be ok. Try it. You didn't say your elevation above sea level which > matters for jetting. > > *From*: Brian [mailto:brian@...] > *Sent*: Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:41 PM > *To*: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > *Subject*: [DSN_KLR650] KLR jetting / pipe questions > > > > Hello. I have been following this message group for about a year now, and > got some beneficial info from it. Anyways. > I have had my KLR 07' for about two years now and when I purchased it the > PO had installed a Dynojet stage 1 jet kit with a DJ140 main and also > adjusted the fuel mixture screw, I do not know if he drilled the slide or > not. The bike also has a Jardine RT4 on it. Recently I was getting some > popping / increased noise (been on bike for ~5000 miles) so I repacked the > pipe with some Quiet sport packing. This was yesterday the bike now seems > little bit quieter, but still loud when accelerating. I have the stock > exhaust the PO took it off at 300 miles when he installed the exhaust/jets. > Here is my questions: I am thinking of putting the stock pipe back on but > don't know if I will have to mess with the jetting? If I do mess with the > jetting should I put the stock needle / 148 main and 1 - #4 washer? Or > should I leave the DJ kit in swap to a DJ136 main set on slot #3? I have > never rode the bike in stock condition, but I assume swapping the pipe will > just make it quieter. > I average about 47 mpg, If that matters. I guess I could just put the > stock pipe on and see how it runs. I feel I am fairly mechanically > inclined, but carbs are not my speciality. > > Thanks in advance! > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]