[nklr] moab trip without my a14 klr...

DSN_KLR650
Michael

rim swap? 2008 vs 2000

Post by Michael » Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Have an interesting quandary... I have a 2008 KLR650 and have wanted to get an extra set of rims, my bike is my everyday transportation. So being able to do a quick swap would be a big help. Now I have the chance to get a pair a rims and tires off a 2000, and want to know if they will work, if not what would it take to use them, if it is possible? Anyone know if it will work? Or has done it? Michael

Jeff Khoury

rim swap? 2008 vs 2000

Post by Jeff Khoury » Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 pm

AFAIK, they're the same except for the brake rotors. Stock rotors are expensive as hell, but aftermarkets for your '08 can be had for a reasonable price. -Jeff Khoury
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael" To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:46:43 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Rim Swap? 2008 vs 2000 Have an interesting quandary... I have a 2008 KLR650 and have wanted to get an extra set of rims, my bike is my everyday transportation. So being able to do a quick swap would be a big help. Now I have the chance to get a pair a rims and tires off a 2000, and want to know if they will work, if not what would it take to use them, if it is possible? Anyone know if it will work? Or has done it? Michael

Pass Sport

[nklr] moab trip without my a14 klr...

Post by Pass Sport » Fri May 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Just a long weekend for most of you... My wife sent me, my brother, and brothers-in-law off to Moab for a 3 day birthday party. As I mainly ride the KLR on the street, have limited dirt experience, and didn't have time to ride the KLR from California to Utah, I decided to rent a Honda CRF230 in Moab. The rest of the family went with ATVs (either rented or their own). As with any trip to Moab, we stopped in and met Fred who, in addition to his KLR parts, has some good maps. I bought both Moab East and West and we checked in to the Moab Valley RV Resort in the econo cabin. Day 1: Picked up the machines and drove to the trailhead where we unloaded and started off to Gemini Bridges and Bull Canyon. I definitely was the slowest in the group... We saw the bridges from the top and were headed to Bull Canyon when one of the ATV's developed problems. Half of us went on the Bull Canyon while the other half towed the ATV to the truck. We met up at the truck and headed in to town when the truck's transmission decided it was time to flash the trouble light and go in to "limp home" mode. Not ideal for towing a large trailer filled with toys. We fixed the ATV with duct tape (at least it ran much better afterwards). The truck had a faulty sensor and it only failed under load. We would be able to get home, but not to tow a trailer. Day 2: Went to Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners. Unbelievable scenery and some interesting terrain. This is a longer ride, easy for quads, but kept me entertained. Getting through the sand was exciting. Chicken Corners is just opposite the spot where 'Thelma and Louise' ends. Day 3: 7 Mile Rim Trail, Monitor/Merrimac, and Tusher Tunnel. 7 Mile Rim is marked difficult in the guide books and maps, but it is doable without a lot of experience. The sand here was deeper and harder than on Chicken Corners. The terrain ranged from rock to gravel to sand. Overall, the most exciting day. This was an absolutely incredible adventure, and probably what most hard core dirt bikers do over a long weekend. I never fell off the little Honda, but I'm sure sure I would have been on the ground more than once with the KLR. If you have never been to Moab, it's definitly worth it... Steve