alternative oil drain location

DSN_KLR650
jake_sagebrush@hotmail.com

magnetic drain plugs

Post by jake_sagebrush@hotmail.com » Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:02 pm

I think I saw a reference to magnetic drain plugs a while ago on Dualsport.org. Anybody have info on a drain plus for the KLR: part no, source? Jake of the Godlike chops

Dale Johnson

magnetic drain plugs

Post by Dale Johnson » Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:05 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jake_sagebrush@h... wrote:
> I think I saw a reference to magnetic drain plugs a while ago on > Dualsport.org. Anybody have info on a drain plus for the KLR: part > no, source? > Jake of the Godlike chops
www.arrowheadmotorsports.com Ask for Fred :-) Dale

Fred Hink

magnetic drain plugs

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:37 pm

Jake, you should have known.... WELCOME TO THE LIST!!! Dualsport.org doesn't exist any longer. You can now try www.dualsportnews.com Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Johnson" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 2:05 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Magnetic Drain plugs > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., jake_sagebrush@h... wrote: > > I think I saw a reference to magnetic drain plugs a while ago on > > Dualsport.org. Anybody have info on a drain plus for the KLR: part > > no, source? > > Jake of the Godlike chops > > www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > > Ask for Fred :-) > > > Dale >

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

magnetic drain plugs

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:11 pm

Jake: You must be new. Everbody on the list just emails Fred Hink at ArrowHead Motorsports (htt://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com) with their credit card number when they join the list. Really, it should just be a requirement... Fred seems to have everything; not just parts, but good advise, a decent joke, etc. Probably a couple of Porsche 911s due to all the business he gets ;) Pat / Austin
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jake_sagebrush@h... wrote: > I think I saw a reference to magnetic drain plugs a while ago on > Dualsport.org. Anybody have info on a drain plus for the KLR: part > no, source? > Jake of the Godlike chops

James L. Miller Jr.

magnetic drain plugs

Post by James L. Miller Jr. » Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:02 am

FWIW, I made my own (sorry Fred!). Took the stock plug, drilled out a 1/4" hole about 1/8" deep. Tool one of my little magnets I got from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp? page=40071&category=3,42363,42346&ccurrency=2&SID=)They're about (1/4" X 1/10" and will hold about 3lbs) JB Welded it in the hole. Didn't need any JB Weld as it held pretty securely. Magnets were pretty cheap, but I think it helps to order more than one because they were a bunch of fun to have around. Swallow one to see what comes out!? Anyhoo, I think it works well as I haven't had any loud crushing/grinding noises in mine yet. Jimmy
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jake_sagebrush@h... wrote: > I think I saw a reference to magnetic drain plugs a while ago on > Dualsport.org. Anybody have info on a drain plus for the KLR: part > no, source? > Jake of the Godlike chops

Renn

magnetic drain plugs

Post by Renn » Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:31 pm

I just about blew rum and Coke out my nose! That would have played Hell with the keyboard.
----- Original Message ----- Magnets were pretty cheap, but I think it helps to order more than one because they were a bunch of fun to have around. Swallow one to see what comes out!? Anyhoo, I think it works well as I haven't had any loud crushing/grinding noises in mine yet. Jimmy Renn A15 (Rocinante) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Don Detloff

magnetic drain plugs

Post by Don Detloff » Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:39 pm

> Anyhoo, I think it works well as I haven't had any loud > crushing/grinding noises in mine yet. > Jimmy >
... from the magnet in your drain plug, or the one you swallowed????? Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI '00 KLR650 '00 Triumph Sprint RS '64 Yamaha Trail 80 (ret)

midnight_rider1960

magnetic drain plugs

Post by midnight_rider1960 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:59 am

> Zachariah Mully wrote: Err... It's just a bolt. Any bolt that fits will
do, it's a 12x1.5(?) 15mm long bolt according to buykawasaki.com. I am not sure about the thread spec, just guessing what it would be for a bolt of that size. You could just epoxy a magnet to the stock one, that's really all the Moose

svw714221

magnetic drain plugs

Post by svw714221 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:34 am

Has anyone purchased a magnetic drain plug from these guys: magneticdrainplugs.com The prices seem good and they have a good selection for all types of vehicles. FYI Scott

breend01

alternative oil drain location

Post by breend01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:07 am

In spite of having the Utah Motorsports bash plate, the oil drain bolt apparently took an impact and broke off about 50 % of the bolt hole shoulder. I have installed a helicoil and a longer bolt, however after several oil changes the cemented shoulder has deteriorated and I am uncomfortable riding the bike for safety reasons. I noted a completely flat, apparently machined, about 4 square inch 'pad' next to the exisiting oil drain. The only reason for existence, that I can imagine, is as an alternative oil drain location. I am considering abandoning the damaged drain (cementing the bolt into the helicoil), and creating a 2nd oil drain. Obviously, this is a significant modification. I seek and would truly appreciate EXPERT advice and opinions. Does anyone have blueprints of a KLR engine? Done this before? Alternative suggestions? Thank you, Dominic