multiple mods to my 2007 klr 650

DSN_KLR650
Michael

biker down

Post by Michael » Mon May 01, 2000 9:10 am

According to MSF, that is by far and away the most common way (by far) that cars and motorcycles collide. Just knowing that allows a rider to be extra vigalent when considering the possibilities when a car is turning left in front of you. M

Michael T. Roberts

biker down

Post by Michael T. Roberts » Tue May 02, 2000 12:56 am

Ed, I too can relate as I was in a motorcycle accident 40 years ago that I was lucky to survive. Do you have a good attorney? If not, contact your local "lawyers referral service" (look in the yellow pages) Hire an attorney and pursue litigation. Never accept payment from an insurance company for a claim of this magnitutde without the advice of legal counsel. Remember, legal counsel doesn't cost, it pays! And no, I am not attorney. Mike Robert

Dale Johnson

biker down

Post by Dale Johnson » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:08 pm

Yesterday on my way to work I was doing 70 in the carpool lane on the 60 freeway in so cal. I hit a car jack and my front tire went flat immediately. I could not control the bike and was heading towards the wall. I was slowing down as quickly as possible I finally lost it when I was doing 30. When I went down all I could think was that someone was going to run me over. So before I even stopped sliding I jumped up and ran towards the wall.. Nobody hit my bike or me. I have some road rash on my arm and leg and have some bruised ribs. 3 people stopped within the first minute after I fell the first one called the police. The second asked me if i needed to call someone so i called my wife and told her i was ok but was in an accident. The 3rd had a pickup and offered to put my bike in it and get me out of the middle of the freeway. Well He did more than that we wrestled the bike in the back of his truck and when we were driving he offered to take me home (about 30 miles in the opposite direction he was going ). Well I ended up just having him drop me and my bike off at the hospital near my house. Ohh The bike is ok too I think. I snapped a bolt on the peg-mounting bracket and broke a blinker light. But that's about it.. Thanks for letting me ramble. Dale

Fred Hink

biker down

Post by Fred Hink » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:25 pm

Glad to hear you are all right Dale. And I thought riding the rocks in Moab was dangerous....... Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: Dale Johnson To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 1:09 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Biker down Yesterday on my way to work I was doing 70 in the carpool lane on the 60 freeway in so cal. I hit a car jack and my front tire went flat immediately. I could not control the bike and was heading towards the wall. I was slowing down as quickly as possible I finally lost it when I was doing 30. When I went down all I could think was that someone was going to run me over. So before I even stopped sliding I jumped up and ran towards the wall.. Nobody hit my bike or me. I have some road rash on my arm and leg and have some bruised ribs. 3 people stopped within the first minute after I fell the first one called the police. The second asked me if i needed to call someone so i called my wife and told her i was ok but was in an accident. The 3rd had a pickup and offered to put my bike in it and get me out of the middle of the freeway. Well He did more than that we wrestled the bike in the back of his truck and when we were driving he offered to take me home (about 30 miles in the opposite direction he was going ). Well I ended up just having him drop me and my bike off at the hospital near my house. Ohh The bike is ok too I think. I snapped a bolt on the peg-mounting bracket and broke a blinker light. But that's about it.. Thanks for letting me ramble. Dale Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: http://www.dualsportnews.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Duvall Ed

biker down

Post by Duvall Ed » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:26 pm

Dale, Wow! Glad to hear you made it, and glad to hear that some kind souls stopped to help out. I got a flat front tire on my KLX going about 40 down a fire road and it was scary as hell. It went flat in no time and I could not steer the bike. It was sheer luck that I happened to be on a straightaway. I ended up in the weeds, but didn't hit any trees or go down. I would not want to have that experience on a crowded CA freeway. Glad you're hear to tell us about it. Ed
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Dale Johnson" wrote: > Yesterday on my way to work I was doing 70 in the carpool lane on the > 60 freeway in so cal. I hit a car jack and my front tire went flat > immediately. I could not control the bike and was heading towards the > wall. I was slowing down as quickly as possible I finally lost it > when I was doing 30. When I went down all I could think was that > someone was going to run me over. So before I even stopped sliding I > jumped up and ran towards the wall.. Nobody hit my bike or me. I have > some road rash on my arm and leg and have some bruised ribs. 3 people > stopped within the first minute after I fell the first one called the > police. The second asked me if i needed to call someone so i called > my wife and told her i was ok but was in an accident. The 3rd had a > pickup and offered to put my bike in it and get me out of the middle > of the freeway. Well He did more than that we wrestled the bike in > the back of his truck and when we were driving he offered to take me > home (about 30 miles in the opposite direction he was going ). Well I > ended up just having him drop me and my bike off at the hospital near > my house. > > Ohh The bike is ok too I think. I snapped a bolt on the peg- mounting > bracket and broke a blinker light. But that's about it.. > > > Thanks for letting me ramble. > > Dale

rob atomic

biker down

Post by rob atomic » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:47 pm

heya very lucky! congrats on escaping serious injury. and quick thinking on heading for the wall there...! btw, where was the car jack? was it out in your lane? my worst close call was on the superstition fwy in AZ back in '91. a view-obscuring truck passed right over the top of a pile of garbage, complete with 2 x 4's sticking out of it, about a foot high or so. there was no way of avoiding it at around 70 mph- it was like "oh shit!" and then wham- things got crazy. flying into the air, i had a death grip on the handlebars, but the shock of impact made my legs go up and out. it wouldve made an excellent video....somehow, i managed to land without wrecking. which wouldve really sucked, since i didnt wear a helmet back in those days. i was thanking god the rest of the way in to work that morning. get back on that horse :) -rob atomic seattle hard trance/goa live pa http://www.evergo.net/~atomic DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Biker down Yesterday on my way to work I was doing 70 in the carpool lane on the 60 freeway in so cal. I hit a car jack and my front tire went flat immediately. I could not control the bike and was heading towards the wall. I was slowing down as quickly as possible I finally lost it when I was doing 30. When I went down all I could think was that someone was going to run me over. So before I even stopped sliding I jumped up and ran towards the wall.. Nobody hit my bike or me. I have some road rash on my arm and leg and have some bruised ribs. 3 people stopped within the first minute after I fell the first one called the police. The second asked me if i needed to call someone so i called my wife and told her i was ok but was in an accident. The 3rd had a pickup and offered to put my bike in it and get me out of the middle of the freeway. Well He did more than that we wrestled the bike in the back of his truck and when we were driving he offered to take me home (about 30 miles in the opposite direction he was going ). Well I ended up just having him drop me and my bike off at the hospital near my house. Ohh The bike is ok too I think. I snapped a bolt on the peg-mounting bracket and broke a blinker light. But that's about it.. Thanks for letting me ramble. Dale Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: http://www.dualsportnews.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Susan Moorhead

biker down

Post by Susan Moorhead » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:31 pm

Dale, Glad you are OK, the bike can be fixed and or replaced. Marshall in Afton, Ok '95 KLXC3 "Blackhorse" (in honor of those who served)
----- Original Message ----- From: Dale Johnson To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 3:09 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Biker down > Yesterday on my way to work I was doing 70 in the carpool lane on the > 60 freeway in so cal. I hit a car jack and my front tire went flat > immediately. I could not control the bike and was heading towards the > wall. I was slowing down as quickly as possible I finally lost it > when I was doing 30. When I went down all I could think was that > someone was going to run me over. So before I even stopped sliding I > jumped up and ran towards the wall.. Nobody hit my bike or me. I have > some road rash on my arm and leg and have some bruised ribs. 3 people > stopped within the first minute after I fell the first one called the > police. The second asked me if i needed to call someone so i called > my wife and told her i was ok but was in an accident. The 3rd had a > pickup and offered to put my bike in it and get me out of the middle > of the freeway. Well He did more than that we wrestled the bike in > the back of his truck and when we were driving he offered to take me > home (about 30 miles in the opposite direction he was going ). Well I > ended up just having him drop me and my bike off at the hospital near > my house. > > Ohh The bike is ok too I think. I snapped a bolt on the peg-mounting > bracket and broke a blinker light. But that's about it.. > > > Thanks for letting me ramble. > > Dale > >

Brad Davis

biker down

Post by Brad Davis » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:37 pm

Dale - glad you are OK. Were you wearing protective gear and was it damaged in the accident? Let us know what brands of gear you were wearing, OK? Did you trash your underwear? Again, I'm glad you weren't banged up real bad - could have been a lot worse I suppose. Take Care, Brad

Dale Johnson

biker down

Post by Dale Johnson » Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:02 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Brad Davis" wrote:
> Dale - glad you are OK. Were you wearing protective gear and was it > damaged in the accident? Let us know what brands of gear you were > wearing, OK? Did you trash your underwear?
Ashamed to admit that I was not wearing and "Real" protective gear besides my Shoei Synchrotech. I had on my work pants (dress pants) and a leather jacket ( not a MC leather ) the leather jacket did not protect me from road rash but it did keep my road rash clean. My pants were shredded. and some of the material felt crispy like it melted. It was all in my leg too. I had on leather work gloves that did a good job of protecting my hands. My head is fine thanks to Shoei. I was glad that I had nice clean underwear on that morning, as I had to strip down to it at the hospital. (it was still clean). Dale Also, I had the same Wal-Mart $25 work boots that I had in my last accedent (where I bounced off the cars) and they protected my feet

jett@rimrockconsulting.com

biker down

Post by jett@rimrockconsulting.com » Tue Jul 17, 2001 10:31 pm

That's a scary story. Glad you're okay. It's great that so many people stopped to help you so quickly, especially the guy with the truck.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Dale Johnson" wrote: > Yesterday on my way to work I was doing 70 in the carpool lane on the > 60 freeway in so cal. I hit a car jack and my front tire went flat > immediately. I could not control the bike and was heading towards the > wall. I was slowing down as quickly as possible I finally lost it