problems at start up after sitting - update

DSN_KLR650
imperial-4776@webtv.net

diesel klr

Post by imperial-4776@webtv.net » Wed Jan 31, 2001 3:19 pm

In March's edition of the "Rider" magazine, they have a Diesel KLR .. hmmm very intresting. page 63 Also for everyone that has a 2000 model like I do, and feels that people are laughing at our GREEN bikes, Check out the Army colours, even the wheels are green ... Thank you Army :) Plus on page 73, theres an article, titled "El Paso to the Sea" I see at least 5 KlR's o these pages. Happily reading Dave Salem OR

Ted Palmer

diesel klr

Post by Ted Palmer » Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:56 am

TLrydr@... wrote: [diesel KLR]
> The cylinder and head are replaced to convert the KLR to diesel, Also it > is fuel injection,,, So where is the stock Carbs and cylinders at,,, This > could be a plus for anyone wanting to Port and play with a big bore kit on a > KLR....
If only the cylinder block and head are the main mechanical changes then I have doubts that the stock bottom end and cases will hold up. They just not designed for that kind of stress.
> Anyone rember when GM built a diesel around a gas engine block, Can we > all say MAJOR headache, What a POS....
Yeah, seemed like a good idea at the time, for a little while. The SB Chev is a versatile engine, but not _that_ versatile. Mister_T

Jonathan Sykes (SWUS)

diesel klr

Post by Jonathan Sykes (SWUS) » Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:59 am

http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/news/idr/idr010601_1_n.shtml Has this been discussed before? Anyone know: - what the diesel conversion entails - I guess at least a different head - whether joe public can buy one of these - contact for (Fred) Hayes Diversified Technologies (HDT) of Hesperia, CA

Devon Jarvis

diesel klr

Post by Devon Jarvis » Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:06 am

This was debated for a long time on the thumper page. The consensus (and I agree) was that paying a lot more money, for more torque, more range, and a lot less horsepower is a trade-off that only makes sense if you can't get gasoline. Someone had mentioned that the US Navy will no longer transport automotive gasoline in a few years, flammability issues. Can anyone confirm this? The bike in the video appears to have a KLR right side engine cover, the question is what's inside? While the KLR seems fairly bulletproof, I don't think that the stock crank and starter would be too happy with 20:1 compression or so. Unless they've found a way to use diesel without such high compression. Not sure if the dirty clouds in the video are dust, or if they came out of the exhaust pipe. Enfield (of India) makes a diesel bike, they get a small German diesel, put it into a 1955 Enfield frame, and there you go. 12hp or so, but it gets insane fuel mileage. Considering you are in a place where the fuel will never get cold enough to gel, and you can't go fast anyway because of the road conditions and congestion, it probably sells well. Devon A15 78 SR500 81 SR500 "Jonathan Sykes (SWUS)" wrote:
> > http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/news/idr/idr010601_1_n.shtml > > Has this been discussed before? > > Anyone know: > > - what the diesel conversion entails - I guess at least a different head > > - whether joe public can buy one of these > > - contact for (Fred) Hayes Diversified Technologies (HDT) of Hesperia, CA > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Ted Palmer

diesel klr

Post by Ted Palmer » Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:23 am

Jonathan Sykes (SWUS) wrote:
It must have about a year or more ago that this first buzzed through the motorcycle world. I have grave doubts about the viability of converting the KLR motor, but I am willing to be proved wrong. Mister_T

michiganmosers@aol.com

diesel klr

Post by michiganmosers@aol.com » Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:46 am

I don't believe this is a "conversion" of the stock motor as engine design varies greatly from gas to diesel. (Remember GMs fantastic work trying this 'conversion' approach in the 1970s? That famous Detroit Piece of Crap is the reason why Europeans buy 5 Million diesel powered cars every year but there are none in the USA - go test drive a new diesel VW and you will be convinced!) Far more likely is the refit of a single cylinder diesel of similar size. Kawasaki Industries makes a large number of diesel engines and in fact offers a diesel option on their "Mule" brand utility vehicle (like a John Deere 'Gator'.) The torque should be outstanding, fuel injected to boot! Must get 80 MPG - plus diesel fuel is cheaper than unleaded. I saw an article once where a guy had modified a Harley with a 3 cylinder diesel generator engine he salvaged from a welding machine. Jonathan Sykes (SWUS) wrote:
>
http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/news/idr/idr010601_1_n.shtml
> Has this been discussed before?
It must have about a year or more ago that this first buzzed through the motorcycle world. I have grave doubts about the viability of converting the KLR motor, but I am willing to be proved wrong. Mister_T

tismybutt@yahoo.com

diesel klr

Post by tismybutt@yahoo.com » Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:46 am

From a military standpoint, it is a great idea. The technology is there, I mean Polaris(?) has a diesel ATV. I don't think the KLR motor is beefy enough for the pressures diesels work at, the stresses on the cases and head would be just too great. It would have to be a complete redesign.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Ted Palmer wrote: > Jonathan Sykes (SWUS) wrote: > > > http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/news/idr/idr010601_1_n.shtml > > Has this been discussed before? > > It must have about a year or more ago that this first buzzed through > the motorcycle world. > > I have grave doubts about the viability of converting the KLR motor, > but I am willing to be proved wrong. > > Mister_T

Swede

diesel klr

Post by Swede » Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:16 am

Someone on the list (Kurt?) had contacted Hayes Diversified (the company doing the conversion), it was a conversion (new head, cyl. sleeve, piston, rod, crank, etc.) working out to (I think) around 500cc (smaller bore,long stroke), making half the hp and nearly 3 times the torque as the stock engine. Yes, the GM 350 diesel was a piece of crap, but it did work, not great, but it did work. Need to find a 700cc Cummins Turbo single, and some anchor chain for a drive chain. "Swede"
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., tismybutt@y... wrote: > From a military standpoint, it is a great idea. The technology is > there, I mean Polaris(?) has a diesel ATV. I don't think the KLR > motor is beefy enough for the pressures diesels work at, the stresses > on the cases and head would be just too great. It would have to be a > complete redesign.

KLR650@houston.rr.com

diesel klr

Post by KLR650@houston.rr.com » Fri Jul 13, 2001 3:22 pm

>The torque should be outstanding, fuel injected to boot! >Must get 80 MPG - plus diesel fuel is cheaper than unleaded. > Mister_T
I feel sorry for the sap who has to drive a KLR with 7.1 (IMS military tank size) gallons of diesel fuel on top (diesel fuel is heavier than gasoline). But I guess it beats humping your pack the old-fashioned way. I know how _that_ goes. Gerret

Krgrife@aol.com

diesel klr

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Fri Jul 13, 2001 7:54 pm

In a message dated 7/13/01 4:45:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, michiganmosers@... writes: << I don't believe this is a "conversion" of the stock motor as engine design varies greatly from gas to diesel. >> The info I've gotten is that the stock bottom end and cylinder are being used. The KLR crank assembly is very robust with large very high quality bearings. The engine cases have steel inserts that carry the crank bearings. During my rebuild I replaced all my tranny and balancer bearings with the best quality bearings I could find (turned out to be made in France) and I also asked the local bearing house about the crank bearings, based on the numbers stamped into them I was told that these are the highest quality bearings of their type available. Also the photos of the KLR diesel make it pretty clear that it is based on the stock motor. Regards, Kurt Grife