klr650 with zx10 motor

DSN_KLR650
John Houchins

oil

Post by John Houchins » Sun Apr 23, 2000 11:19 pm

Howdy list, Out of lurk mode, just to stir up a little oil debate, he he he ! No seriously, do have a question. After a long dusty ride, I decide to change the oil on a Friday night before a Sat ride. My shop is closed and I have no motorcycle specific oil at home. So off to the closest auto parts store, where every thing is SJ rated. So I get some Castrol GT 10-30, and I am thinking the SJ stuff is low on zinc, an anti-wear additive. I buy some STP oil treatment containing olefin copolymer and zinc diaklydithiophosphate. I assume the copolymers are added to increase viscosity, Will the zinc improve the engine wear? Am I off on a tangent? Whadda you guys think about adding this to the S-J oil? John opening a can of oil additive worms. A-7 16K

marvin mudflap

oil

Post by marvin mudflap » Thu Sep 21, 2000 9:27 am

I use Walmart brand 20w50 in my 2 KLR's, 3 BMW's, 1 Harley, 41 Chevy pick up, wife's Subaru, GMC Van, K-Mart lawn mower,Triumph Tiger,Honda 3 wheeler and Kid's Bicycle. At .89 a quart its about all I can afford and it seems to do the job! Later, MM Signup for your FREE ZenSearch E-MAIL account at http://www.zensearch.net and win a Notebook PC

bigmotomama@aol.com

oil

Post by bigmotomama@aol.com » Thu Sep 21, 2000 9:41 am

Marvin, Is you kid's bicycle a wet sump or dry sump :) I hope you don't spare the expense on your wife as you do your toys. Motomama --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "marvin mudflap" wrote:
> I use Walmart brand 20w50 in my 2 KLR's, 3 BMW's, 1 Harley, 41
Chevy pick up, wife's Subaru, GMC Van, K-Mart lawn mower,Triumph Tiger,Honda 3 wheeler and Kid's Bicycle. At .89 a quart its about all I can afford and it seems to do the job! Later, MM
> > Signup for your FREE ZenSearch E-MAIL account at
http://www.zensearch.net and win a Notebook PC

PEDRO.VALDES@COULTER.COM

oil

Post by PEDRO.VALDES@COULTER.COM » Tue Oct 17, 2000 3:40 pm

Hi Brad, The reason for using the HP Honda oil is that as I understand, it is made by Mobil for Honda with proprietary additives. Mobil declined to elaborate on this subject with me both via phone and e-mail. My bike has 2000 miles on it. It might be over-kill, but I change my oil every 1000 miles or less. Now with this Honda oil I might stretch it a bit more since it costs about 6 bucks a quart. Incidentally Mobil has a new line of motorcycle specific oils with the additives which are missing in their automotive oils. These additives have had to be eliminated due to adverse effects on emissions equipment. i.e. zinc, magnesium and others that don't come to mind right now. I know your shifting will improve with Honda HP if you are coming from straight Mobil 1 auto oil. Mine did. Anyway, I blowing this taco stand right now (office) and heading home. Contact me tomorrow and I'll send you more info. that I have gathered. Peter A-14

polachm@cadvision.com

oil

Post by polachm@cadvision.com » Wed Oct 18, 2000 11:09 pm

Finally .....another rider who is taking a real world/ common sense attitude to oil. Let's face it fellows most of us don't ride enough to actually wear the machines out. In fact it would be interesting to take a survey on how many miles each rider has logged on their KLRs. Change the oil frequently... ie every 1500 to 2000 miles with any modern oil of the correct weight and I will wager you will not have any oil related problems or decreased engine life. As Joe so positively states most of us are riding more for max fun and enjoyment not trying to eek out the very last possible mile from our bikes. Get out there and ride...stop worrying so much!!! Martin (17,000 km)

Porter Watson

oil

Post by Porter Watson » Thu Nov 23, 2000 9:26 am

Am about ready for my first(after the break-in change)oil change. Bike's in Texas and will be riding Mex., C.A. etc. Don't want to start a rampage here, just want a couple of experienced opinions. Thanks, Porter _______________________________________________________ Tired of slow Internet? Get @Home Broadband Internet http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html

Robert Morgan

oil

Post by Robert Morgan » Thu Nov 23, 2000 10:07 am

I won't buy anything but Honda HP4, synthetic with moly, that's all my bike has ever had in it. I run 20w 50 wt summer, 10w 30 winter. It's expensive and I don't care. My old man used to say "you spend half your life standing up and half your life lying down, it doesn't make sense to buy cheep shoes or a cheep mattress". As far as I am concerned the same logic applies to motor oil and tires. Morgan
----- Original Message ----- From: Porter Watson To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2000 7:26 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Oil > > Am about ready for my first(after the break-in change)oil change. Bike's in > Texas and will be riding Mex., C.A. etc. Don't want to start a rampage > here, just want a couple of experienced opinions. > > Thanks, Porter > > > > > > _______________________________________________________ > Tired of slow Internet? Get @Home Broadband Internet > http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >

TLrydr@aol.com

oil

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Fri Nov 24, 2000 7:08 pm

Mobil 1 15w 50w can;t go wrong with this stuff, If it dont shift and run better change it, If you run travel long distance and don;t want to change it every 800 miles change it every 3000 miles, Note: all Dino oil should be changed every 800 miles, Mike In a message dated 11/23/00 10:27:31 AM EST, PHWIII@... writes: << Don't want to start a rampage here, just want a couple of experienced opinions. >>

Tumu Rock

oil

Post by Tumu Rock » Sat Nov 25, 2000 12:58 am

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:26:16 -0800 (PST), Porter Watson wrote: Am about ready for my first(after the break-in change)oil change. Bike's in Texas and will be riding Mex., C.A. etc. Don't want to start a rampage here, just want a couple of experienced opinions. Thanks, Porter ______________________________________________________ Hey Porter, most on list will shy away from this veritable can of worms (some would like prefer a can of whup-ass). I bought my bike used with 1400 miles and changed to synthetic at 2K. I've heard (or seen) it said that you should run old fashioned dino oil until about 10K, but I haven't experienced any problems yet. However, if you're at your first ever oil change you probably should stick with dino to allow proper seating and wear on the engine. Then, when and if you feel ready to switch to synthetic, sit down with your bike, drink a few beers and talk it over with her. See what she feels like drinking. The most popular answer to the age old oil question is no matter what you use, change it often and you don't have to worry nearly as much. dat brooklyn bum (PUI) _______________________________________________________ Tired of slow Internet? Get @Home Broadband Internet http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html

gyb@sprynet.com

oil

Post by gyb@sprynet.com » Sat Nov 25, 2000 1:48 pm

>Mobil 1 15w 50w can;t go wrong with this stuff, If it dont shift and run >better change it, If you run travel long distance and don;t want to
change it
>every 800 miles change it every 3000 miles, Note: all Dino oil should be >changed every 800 miles,
I have to ask. What is this "fact" based on? It doesn't match the industry, manufacturers recommendation nor any independent testing, so you must have some other source for this, I assume. Isn't Mobil1 15w 50 a car oil? Is it safe to run in your bike? Gustavo