01 klr 650 electrical problem ?

DSN_KLR650
Amin Youssefzadeh

klr backfires when down shifting

Post by Amin Youssefzadeh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi all, My 2006 KLR 650 has been backfiring a lot recently making that loud gunshot or pop sound whenever I downshift. My bike was sitting for about 9 months and this problem happened. I recently had my carb cleaned and it was making the sound before that, so I don't think that the carb is the problem, as it continues to make the sound. I read somewhere that the sparkplug might be the issue, but I don't want to mess with it unless I'm positive. The sound was cool initially when it first happened, but now it's just an annoyance. Has anybody dealt with this problem, and if so how can I go about fixing it without having a mechanic BS me and try taking my money. Thanks, Amin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Check your exhaust connection at the head and at the intermediate pipe connection to be sure they are tight. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com From: Amin Youssefzadeh Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:23 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] KLR Backfires When Down Shifting Hi all, My 2006 KLR 650 has been backfiring a lot recently making that loud gunshot or pop sound whenever I downshift. My bike was sitting for about 9 months and this problem happened. I recently had my carb cleaned and it was making the sound before that, so I don't think that the carb is the problem, as it continues to make the sound. I read somewhere that the sparkplug might be the issue, but I don't want to mess with it unless I'm positive. The sound was cool initially when it first happened, but now it's just an annoyance. Has anybody dealt with this problem, and if so how can I go about fixing it without having a mechanic BS me and try taking my money. Thanks, Amin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:55 pm

Vacuum on decel. pulling air into the exhaust via a leak and causing unburned hydrocarbons to combust in the pipe? eddie
> [Original Message] > From: Fred Hink > To: Amin Youssefzadeh ; DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > Date: 10/4/2011 2:40:05 PM > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] KLR Backfires When Down Shifting > > Check your exhaust connection at the head and at the intermediate pipe
connection to be sure they are tight.

David Nichols

Post by David Nichols » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Also check your air box, mine was melted by an exhaust leak. The hot gases melted a 1/4 inch diameter hole in the bottom of the air box on the wrong side of the filter. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

E Hines

Post by E Hines » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Check your header pipe. A loose exhaust pipe at the head will cause backfiring. ________________________________ From: Amin Youssefzadeh To: "DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tue, October 4, 2011 1:23:13 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] KLR Backfires When Down Shifting Hi all, My 2006 KLR 650 has been backfiring a lot recently making that loud gunshot or pop sound whenever I downshift. My bike was sitting for about 9 months and this problem happened. I recently had my carb cleaned and it was making the sound before that, so I don't think that the carb is the problem, as it continues to make the sound. I read somewhere that the sparkplug might be the issue, but I don't want to mess with it unless I'm positive. The sound was cool initially when it first happened, but now it's just an annoyance. Has anybody dealt with this problem, and if so how can I go about fixing it without having a mechanic BS me and try taking my money. Thanks, Amin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

eddie mauri

Post by eddie mauri » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 am

Been Sitting for 9 months you say? I'd add to the list to, "check your battery." In the past, my (wet cell) battery has caused a backfire (a noise identical to what you described) when I start up and at deceleration when the battery was starting to go belly-up. Eddie M. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kjedick

01 klr 650 electrical problem ?

Post by kjedick » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Same thing happened to me. I had loose battery connections after I installed a battery tender. Ken 20,000 miles 2009 Colorado _____ From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bobnancys@... Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:46 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] 01 KLR 650 Electrical Problem ? 2001 KLR 650 30,000 miles Hello to all, I got a problem. Riding to work before sunrise all my lights start flickering on and off. Speedo , Tach, headlight, everything, but engine runing ok. All lights go off. I pull over in darkness, wait few secounds, lights come back on. Ride the last few miles to work, everything working ok again. Ride home after work no problems, as far as I know its mid afternoon, don't know if lights are on or off, they are on when I start and ride off. I pull the tank off, look for loose connections. Disconnect and reconnect all the connections I can get to. Can't make it happen again. Anybody had this happen to them or have any ideas on what could be the problem ? Thanks Bob Clinton, LA. 2001 KLR 650 30,000 miles [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] _____ size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0" align=center> No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 2012.0.1809 / Virus Database: 2085/4539 - Release Date: 10/05/11 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Eric J Foster

Post by Eric J Foster » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:00 am

Water in stale fuel. Drain the tank, drain the bowl, and add new corn..... err..... gasoline. E