klr650 : flat :(

DSN_KLR650
RobertWichert

soft bags versus hard bags

Post by RobertWichert » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:32 pm

I say soft bags are better, based on my many crashes, hard bags crack. Your thoughts? Robert P. Wichert, PEng. +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 -------------------------------------------

Eric Turner

Post by Eric Turner » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:50 am

Hi Robert - I just installed some 20mm ammo cans on Pacrat racks. Now, I'm not saying that I like these better than I would some soft bags, but I don't think these incredibly sturdy military ammo cans would suffer too much damage if I laid my bike down in a crash. I think the bigger issue is getting your foot stuck under them when in the dirt or executing a turn on the street. I've nearly had by foot caught under the boxes just doing a normal turn on the street. Therefore, I will likely go to soft cases to lessen the weight on my KLR and reduce the chances of breaking an ankle. Just sayin'. ________________________________ From: RobertWichert To: DSN _KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:32 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Soft bags versus hard bags I say soft bags are better, based on my many crashes, hard bags crack. Your thoughts? Robert P. Wichert, PEng. +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ------------------------------------------- [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Stephen H. Reichman, Sr.

Post by Stephen H. Reichman, Sr. » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:12 am

I can agree and disagree; Agree that the soft bags can make for a "softer landing" if you will during drops. Don't shoot me but I haven't done off road with my '08. My house was a no-motorcycle house due to a couple of motorcycle accidents that discouraged riding. I had a number of sons born to me and probability had one of them take well to motorcycling and he brought dad (me along), so at 46 I started, so my off-road experience is nil. I say this to clarify some of my comments. The down side of soft bags for me is; I commute daily all weather (minus snow/ice days) and I have a good set of tools, first aid kit, extra tubes, etc. in case of breakdowns (which has saved me a lot of grief when my tire went flat recently) so my bags are not stuffed tight but they have a lot of contents. That wears on them and over the three years and over 30,000 miles I've gone through three sets of saddle bags (higher capacity Cortech Tri-Saddle bags (2 sets) and Firstgear Silverstones (1 set)) as well as two Kawi Tailbags. I liked them all and they served me well but the constant expense was killing me. The bike is garage kept but parked outside at work and the bags get sun baked, fade, dry out and the seams will start to wear and rip. Plus the rain covers do not fully protect from the rain. If you side stand the bike, The low side collects the rainwater and bags still get wet and I had to dry out everything when I got home. If you center stand it water still gets in under the cinching of the covers. This compounded my frustration with softbags. So I've gone through over $750 in soft bags in three years. Maybe that was OK and the "cost of doing business". I did drop the bike twice and the softbags gave the soft landing (drop from losing balance while moving the bike into position to ride). Disagree because of the constant replacement costs. $750 was a good part of the hard bag costs. Thus I've invested in hard bags (Trax Alu/SW Motech EVO), larger capacity (because I periodically travel for my side business). I have found them to be excellent but I do not have them time tested or drop tested yet, but I do have the results from my soft bag testings ;) .so time will tell how the hard bag investment will pan out. I've heard both positive and negative (more positive though in favor of hard bags). Respects, Steve 2008 E8F SE Penna AMA Member [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

Post by Jeff Saline » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:12 am

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:12:41 -0400 "Stephen H. Reichman, Sr." writes:
> I can agree and disagree; Agree that the soft bags can make for a
"softer landing" if you will during drops. Don't shoot me but I haven't done off road with my '08. SNIP ... so my off-road experience is nil. I say this to clarify some of my comments. The down side of soft bags for me is; I commute daily SNIP I've heard both positive and negative (more positive though in favor of hard bags). Respects, Steve <><><><><><><> <><><><><><><> Steve, Great post about your experience with soft bags. I can sure understand how they didn't work well for you in your situation. My experience and use of soft bags is a bit different. I use my Ortlieb Dry Saddlebags for touring but not everyday use. My commute to work during the summer is a whopping 2 3/4 miles and it's to a dealership. If I have a need for a tool to work on my bike at work I can borrow it from a tech. Never happened yet. I do have a tank bag mounted to the rear rack of my KLR and it gets wet during rains. I don't usually put a rain cover on it. At night it's empty and I leave it open so it can dry out. It doesn't hold water but contents can easily get wet in a good soaking rain. I find the downside to soft bags is security. When touring I don't park where I'm not comfortable leaving the bike. If I'm not comfortable I move on or take valuables with me. I think hardbags shine in this area. For body protection I think hardbags probably work better on hard surfaces like asphalt and concrete. I prefer soft bags for off pavement riding as I think a soft bags (depending on contents) might have a bit more give when pinning a leg between it and a rock or tree. Still might hurt but maybe a body park won't snap. My experience is a good quality soft bag is water tight when properly closed. I don't have any experience with the newer Wolfman products but hear they are as water tight as the Ortliebs. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT . . ____________________________________________________________ 57 Year Old Mom Looks 27! Mom Reveals $5 Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e22df7b162924fd4dst04vuc

Jud

Post by Jud » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:23 am

Depends on the hard bags, I guess. On a couple of occasions, I thought I had cracked my Givi E21's. They deformed so far the lids popped pen, and looked like they must be broken. In every instance, they sprung back to shape, and still work like new, even if they don't look it. A bike with hard bags will be easier to get back up on two wheels, too. (A downside the the E21's is that they are prone to jump off the racks on a rough track. But anybody who has ever toured a BMW with Krauser bags knows about the wisdom of using retention straps.) In general, though, I agree that soft bags are preferable. And I would never put big expedition cases, or anything bigger than the E21's, on a dual sport bike. They just encourage you to carry more crap than you need.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, RobertWichert wrote: > > I say soft bags are better, based on my many crashes, hard bags crack. > > Your thoughts? > > > > Robert P. Wichert, PEng. > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > > ------------------------------------------- >

David Bowden

Post by David Bowden » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:44 am

I just got back from a two week trip and couldnt have done it withought the new ammo cans I mounted on the packrat. I should have installwd locks though. Unpacking every night was a pain. The bike fell over twice because of the extras I had strapped to the top of the boxes and the top of the trunk. No damage at all. As for turning, your ankles should never be in any danger since they never leave the top of your feet, and your feet never leave the pegs no matter how slow you are turning or how tight you are doing it. I can make a u turn in one traffic lane going slower then most people walk. Keep your feet on the pegs.
On Jul 16, 2011 11:50 PM, "Eric Turner" wrote: > > > > Hi Robert - > I just installed some 20mm ammo cans on Pacrat racks. Now, I'm not saying that I like these better than I would some soft bags, but I don't think these incredibly sturdy military ammo cans would suffer too much damage if I laid my bike down in a crash. I think the bigger issue is getting your foot stuck under them when in the dirt or executing a turn on the street. I've nearly had by foot caught under the boxes just doing a normal turn on the street. Therefore, I will likely go to soft cases to lessen the weight on my KLR and reduce the chances of breaking an ankle. Just sayin'. > > ________________________________ > From: RobertWichert > To: DSN _KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:32 PM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Soft bags versus hard bags > > > > I say soft bags are better, based on my many crashes, hard bags crack. > > Your thoughts? > > Robert P. Wichert, PEng. > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > ------------------------------------------- > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

john triplett

Post by john triplett » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Best I ever saw. And I did see a guy with them. I have no cash to buy now, but I will.http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Marc

Post by Marc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:32 am

1 I try not to crash-that may be your problem. 2 My 40mm ammo cans don't crack, at most they would bend. It's Monday and I just got to work, so don't take my response too seriously. Marc ________________________________ From: RobertWichert To: DSN _KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sat, July 16, 2011 7:32:36 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Soft bags versus hard bags I say soft bags are better, based on my many crashes, hard bags crack. Your thoughts? Robert P. Wichert, PEng. +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ------------------------------------------- [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Marc

Post by Marc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 am

I put eye bolts and pad locks on my 40mm cans. Love them. Marc ________________________________ From: David Bowden To: Eric Turner Cc: DSN _KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>; RobertWichert Sent: Sun, July 17, 2011 9:44:09 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Soft bags versus hard bags I just got back from a two week trip and couldnt have done it withought the new ammo cans I mounted on the packrat. I should have installwd locks though. Unpacking every night was a pain. The bike fell over twice because of the extras I had strapped to the top of the boxes and the top of the trunk. No damage at all. As for turning, your ankles should never be in any danger since they never leave the top of your feet, and your feet never leave the pegs no matter how slow you are turning or how tight you are doing it. I can make a u turn in one traffic lane going slower then most people walk. Keep your feet on the pegs.
On Jul 16, 2011 11:50 PM, "Eric Turner" wrote: > > > > Hi Robert - > I just installed some 20mm ammo cans on Pacrat racks. Now, I'm not saying that I like these better than I would some soft bags, but I don't think these incredibly sturdy military ammo cans would suffer too much damage if I laid my bike down in a crash. I think the bigger issue is getting your foot stuck under them when in the dirt or executing a turn on the street. I've nearly had by foot caught under the boxes just doing a normal turn on the street. Therefore, I will likely go to soft cases to lessen the weight on my KLR and reduce the chances of breaking an ankle. Just sayin'. > > ________________________________ > From: RobertWichert > To: DSN _KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:32 PM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Soft bags versus hard bags > > > > I say soft bags are better, based on my many crashes, hard bags crack. > > Your thoughts? > > Robert P. Wichert, PEng. > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > ------------------------------------------- > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ------------------------------------ List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map Group Apps: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

skypilot110

Post by skypilot110 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:33 am

Up in Ottawa this year there was a newb with soft bags. He dumped his bike a lot and by the second day had everything duct taped together and Bungied to the seat. Soft vs hard comes down two two things IMHO. If you are touring or doing gental off road only then soft or hard is of no importance. If you are going somewhere that you will likely dump it a few times then you need to consider what is in the bags. If you need to carry cooking gear and tools then you need hard bags. clothing and sleeping bag only gets soft bags. Hard stuff in a soft bag is a bad idea to begin with since it will wear through but if you will dump it then hard stuff will tear soft bags. If you use the bags daily like commuting or lots of touring then put the hard bags on it. If you use them one weekend a month then use soft. That one is easy
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Marc wrote: > > I put eye bolts and pad locks on my 40mm cans. Love them. > > > Marc > > > > ________________________________ > From: David Bowden > To: Eric Turner > Cc: DSN _KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>; RobertWichert > Sent: Sun, July 17, 2011 9:44:09 AM > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Soft bags versus hard bags > > I just got back from a two week trip and couldnt have done it withought the > new ammo cans I mounted on the packrat. I should have installwd locks > though. Unpacking every night was a pain. The bike fell over twice because > of the extras I had strapped to the top of the boxes and the top of the > trunk. No damage at all. As for turning, your ankles should never be in > any danger since they never leave the top of your feet, and your feet never > leave the pegs no matter how slow you are turning or how tight you are doing > it. I can make a u turn in one traffic lane going slower then most people > walk. Keep your feet on the pegs. > On Jul 16, 2011 11:50 PM, "Eric Turner" wrote: > > > > > > > > Hi Robert - > > I just installed some 20mm ammo cans on Pacrat racks. Now, I'm not saying > that I like these better than I would some soft bags, but I don't think > these incredibly sturdy military ammo cans would suffer too much damage if I > laid my bike down in a crash. I think the bigger issue is getting your foot > stuck under them when in the dirt or executing a turn on the street. I've > nearly had by foot caught under the boxes just doing a normal turn on the > street. Therefore, I will likely go to soft cases to lessen the weight on > my KLR and reduce the chances of breaking an ankle. Just sayin'. > > > > ________________________________ > > From: RobertWichert > > To: DSN _KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > > Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:32 PM > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Soft bags versus hard bags > > > > > > > > I say soft bags are better, based on my many crashes, hard bags crack. > > > > Your thoughts? > > > > Robert P. Wichert, PEng. > > +1 916 966 9060 > > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > ------------------------------------------- > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com > Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map > Group Apps: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! Groups > Links > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >