fred's ato fuse relocation kit and always on headlight issue

DSN_KLR650
ActionK

won't start when warm

Post by ActionK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:35 pm

I should probably dig in a little more before posting. I'm being lazy. My 96 KLR650 did not want to start today after a 5 mile ride. Press starter and nothing at all (starter not even trying to spin or engage). After 30 seconds of tying it fired up. Got home and would not start again. After a couple hours I tried and it fired up no problem, 10 times in a row. Another 5 mile ride and it won't start, not at all this time. I can hear a relay or something click down there somewhere. This time I waited no more than 10 minutes, and it started 10 times in a row with no sign of a problem. Today is the first hot day I've ridden it (80 here in Georgia), for what that is worth. The starter does not engage at all when it does not start. No dimming of light when pressing the starter button. Any ideas? Kirk

Jud

won't start when warm

Post by Jud » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Sounds like a dodgy connection to your starter solenoid. It's under that rectangular black plastic cover down on the left, above where the sidestand interlock lives. You can reach down there without leaving your seat and give the solenoid a finger wave that will reestablish contact and the bike will start. For a more permanent fix, pull the solenoid out of its rubber mount so you can get at the main terminals and the trigger terminal. Tighten the nuts on the posts and clean the contacts on the trigger terminal.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ActionK" wrote: > > I should probably dig in a little more before posting. I'm being lazy. > > My 96 KLR650 did not want to start today after a 5 mile ride. Press starter and nothing at all (starter not even trying to spin or engage). After 30 seconds of tying it fired up. > > Got home and would not start again. > > After a couple hours I tried and it fired up no problem, 10 times in a row. Another 5 mile ride and it won't start, not at all this time. I can hear a relay or something click down there somewhere. > > This time I waited no more than 10 minutes, and it started 10 times in a row with no sign of a problem. > > Today is the first hot day I've ridden it (80 here in Georgia), for what that is worth. The starter does not engage at all when it does not start. No dimming of light when pressing the starter button. > > Any ideas? > > Kirk >

ActionK

won't start when warm

Post by ActionK » Sun May 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks very much to those who replied. I finally got around to this! The starter circuit solenoid clicks, but the starter solenoid does not. I unplugged the two wire plug into the starter solenoid and verified I have power to it when pressing the start button. When I plugged it back in, I now see that it will start if I'm pressing the plug in, but not if I let it go. I'm going to try a little contact cleaner as soon as I find it in the garage, but at least I know where the problem is. Appears to be the mechanical connection into the starter solenoid. Kirk
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jud" wrote: > > > Sounds like a dodgy connection to your starter solenoid. It's under that rectangular black plastic cover down on the left, above where the sidestand interlock lives. You can reach down there without leaving your seat and give the solenoid a finger wave that will reestablish contact and the bike will start. For a more permanent fix, pull the solenoid out of its rubber mount so you can get at the main terminals and the trigger terminal. Tighten the nuts on the posts and clean the contacts on the trigger terminal. > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ActionK" wrote: > > > > I should probably dig in a little more before posting. I'm being lazy. > > > > My 96 KLR650 did not want to start today after a 5 mile ride. Press starter and nothing at all (starter not even trying to spin or engage). After 30 seconds of tying it fired up. > > > > Got home and would not start again. > > > > After a couple hours I tried and it fired up no problem, 10 times in a row. Another 5 mile ride and it won't start, not at all this time. I can hear a relay or something click down there somewhere. > > > > This time I waited no more than 10 minutes, and it started 10 times in a row with no sign of a problem. > > > > Today is the first hot day I've ridden it (80 here in Georgia), for what that is worth. The starter does not engage at all when it does not start. No dimming of light when pressing the starter button. > > > > Any ideas? > > > > Kirk > > >

Kevin Crossett

fred's ato fuse relocation kit and always on headlight issue

Post by Kevin Crossett » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah. I think it may be a crossed wire in the male plug. Here is a pic. I have emailed the guy that makes the kit. Hopefully he can help me diagnose the problem. ----------
On Jun 4, 2011, at 12:36 PM, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > > > Sounds like you have your wires crossed....Make sure one fuse (batt) > has the 2 white wires going to it and the other fuse (ign) has the > blue/white and red wires going to it. > > Mike Huber > Carlsbad NM > > > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > From: kcrossett@... > Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 16:17:32 +0000 > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Fred's ATO fuse relocation kit and always on > headlight issue > > > > > I just installed Fred's ATO fuse kit and now the headlight comes on > with the bike ignition in the off position. Any ideas why the > headlight would turn on without the key switched to the on position > after the installation? Help??? > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com > Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map > Group Apps: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo > ! Groups Links > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]