kawa parts blowups (was choke lever problems)

DSN_KLR650
glennintn

handguards for '09 klr650?

Post by glennintn » Mon May 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different choices.

Greg May

Post by Greg May » Tue May 03, 2011 5:08 am

I just installed Barkbuster Storms on mine, they installed easily, fit perfectly, block the wind much better then stock and I suspect would survive most things the bike wouldn't......have a great day.....Greg ________________________________ From: glennintn To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 7:23:40 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Handguards for '09 KLR650? Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different choices. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 am

Did you have to modify the handguards or move anything around on the handlebars to make them fit? I have an '08 and am just getting around to putting on a set of Acerbis Rally Pro guards ahead of the Sheetiron. The set I bought doesn't fit easily, to say the least. I had to get hinged brackets, will still need to cut out part of the plastic, and might have to rotate/move some of the other bits on the handlebar. I'd rather get a set that's made for the 08/09's. Great timing on this question. Thanks. Daniel
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Greg May wrote: > > I just installed Barkbuster Storms on mine, they installed easily, fit > perfectly, block the wind much better then stock and I suspect would survive > most things the bike wouldn't......have a great day.....Greg > > > > > ________________________________ > From: glennintn > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 7:23:40 PM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? > > Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. > > Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different > choices. > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Tue May 03, 2011 2:16 pm

I should clarify that part of the problem I'm having is that the guards impact and get stuck on the fairings at full left/right stop. I don't think that's as much of a headache on the pre-08's. Daniel
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" wrote: > > Did you have to modify the handguards or move anything around on the handlebars to make them fit? > > I have an '08 and am just getting around to putting on a set of Acerbis Rally Pro guards ahead of the Sheetiron. The set I bought doesn't fit easily, to say the least. I had to get hinged brackets, will still need to cut out part of the plastic, and might have to rotate/move some of the other bits on the handlebar. I'd rather get a set that's made for the 08/09's. > > Great timing on this question. Thanks. > > Daniel > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Greg May wrote: > > > > I just installed Barkbuster Storms on mine, they installed easily, fit > > perfectly, block the wind much better then stock and I suspect would survive > > most things the bike wouldn't......have a great day.....Greg > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > From: glennintn > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 7:23:40 PM > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > > > > Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? > > > > Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. > > > > Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different > > choices. > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > >

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Tue May 03, 2011 4:02 pm

That is a problem with the late model KLRs as there isn t much room between the guards and the windscreen. There are no guards made specifically for your bike but some models are better than others. You will have to custom fit just about any guard to your bike to make them fit. Bending the Acerbis Rally Pro is difficult at best since they already have the plastic guards attached. The Maier Woods Pro will fit and bend a little easier since the plastic guards are added separately from the aluminum guards. There are several models of the Maier Woods Pro. The ATV model seems to fit the best on the older KLRs and the regular model Maier Woods Pro fits better on the newer model KLRs. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com From: Daniel Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 1:16 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Handguards for '09 KLR650? I should clarify that part of the problem I'm having is that the guards impact and get stuck on the fairings at full left/right stop. I don't think that's as much of a headache on the pre-08's. Daniel
--- In mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" wrote: > > Did you have to modify the handguards or move anything around on the handlebars to make them fit? > > I have an '08 and am just getting around to putting on a set of Acerbis Rally Pro guards ahead of the Sheetiron. The set I bought doesn't fit easily, to say the least. I had to get hinged brackets, will still need to cut out part of the plastic, and might have to rotate/move some of the other bits on the handlebar. I'd rather get a set that's made for the 08/09's. > > Great timing on this question. Thanks. > > Daniel > > --- In mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, Greg May wrote: > > > > I just installed Barkbuster Storms on mine, they installed easily, fit > > perfectly, block the wind much better then stock and I suspect would survive > > most things the bike wouldn't......have a great day.....Greg > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > From: glennintn > > To: mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com > > Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 7:23:40 PM > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > > > > Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? > > > > Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. > > > > Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different > > choices. > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Greg May

Post by Greg May » Tue May 03, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi Daniel I installed the Barkbusters on an 04 so I was dealing with a slightly different beast but all went together with no issues, so easy in fact that I got to do it twice since with them installed the bike wouldn't easily fit out of where I was working on it. The company I bought them from (in Canada, so probably not convenient for you) had an installation video from Barkbuster on their site, which I'll include a link to below, and it went as easy as demonstrated. I did have to slide my throttle and brake lever in slightly, the throttle tube extended beyond the end of the handlebar and possibly rotate the throttle assembly back slightly to allow the cables to clear, not sure on that but they look slightly higher now. I think I read somewhere there is a slightly different kit needed so you can retain the bar end weights, 04's never came with weights and with them installed the only difference I noticed was maybe slightly less blurring of the mirrors, my hands couldn't tell a difference between with or without them. I used the Storm version and they look good and work better then stock as far as wind protection is concerned, very good quality. I just checked Fred's site and don't see them listed there so I'll also include a link to the site I bought them from since they show them mounted as well as showing all the individual parts and the part numbers. Hope this helps....Greg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWOqfoGTcqw&feature=player_embedded http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/klrBB.BHG6.html ________________________________ From: Daniel To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tue, May 3, 2011 12:56:04 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Handguards for '09 KLR650? Did you have to modify the handguards or move anything around on the handlebars to make them fit? I have an '08 and am just getting around to putting on a set of Acerbis Rally Pro guards ahead of the Sheetiron. The set I bought doesn't fit easily, to say the least. I had to get hinged brackets, will still need to cut out part of the plastic, and might have to rotate/move some of the other bits on the handlebar. I'd rather get a set that's made for the 08/09's. Great timing on this question. Thanks. Daniel
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Greg May wrote: > > I just installed Barkbuster Storms on mine, they installed easily, fit > perfectly, block the wind much better then stock and I suspect would survive > most things the bike wouldn't......have a great day.....Greg > > > > > ________________________________ > From: glennintn > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 7:23:40 PM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? > > Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. > > Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different > choices. > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Tue May 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks, Fred. Informative, if disappointing ;-). Do you know if Eagle Mike's handle bar risers, or any other risers or equivalent, allow us to have guards that don't impact the fairing while also not needing to bend or cut them? Daniel
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hink" wrote: > > That is a problem with the late model KLRs as there isn t much room between the guards and the windscreen. There are no guards made specifically for your bike but some models are better than others. You will have to custom fit just about any guard to your bike to make them fit. Bending the Acerbis Rally Pro is difficult at best since they already have the plastic guards attached. The Maier Woods Pro will fit and bend a little easier since the plastic guards are added separately from the aluminum guards. There are several models of the Maier Woods Pro. The ATV model seems to fit the best on the older KLRs and the regular model Maier Woods Pro fits better on the newer model KLRs. > > Fred > http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > > > > From: Daniel > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 1:16 PM > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > I should clarify that part of the problem I'm having is that the guards impact and get stuck on the fairings at full left/right stop. I don't think that's as much of a headache on the pre-08's. > > Daniel > > --- In mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" wrote: > > > > Did you have to modify the handguards or move anything around on the handlebars to make them fit? > > > > I have an '08 and am just getting around to putting on a set of Acerbis Rally Pro guards ahead of the Sheetiron. The set I bought doesn't fit easily, to say the least. I had to get hinged brackets, will still need to cut out part of the plastic, and might have to rotate/move some of the other bits on the handlebar. I'd rather get a set that's made for the 08/09's. > > > > Great timing on this question. Thanks. > > > > Daniel > > > > --- In mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, Greg May wrote: > > > > > > I just installed Barkbuster Storms on mine, they installed easily, fit > > > perfectly, block the wind much better then stock and I suspect would survive > > > most things the bike wouldn't......have a great day.....Greg > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > > From: glennintn > > > To: mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com > > > Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 7:23:40 PM > > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > > > > > > > Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? > > > > > > Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. > > > > > > Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different > > > choices. > > >

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Yep, the bar ends on the 08+'s are an improvement. There's less cutting, drilling and filing. I was able to screw the Acerbis bolts right in, and there was no friction on the throttle. It looks like we still need to cut off the metal loop on the left side, but that's easy enough. Now it's down to the fairing issue.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Greg May wrote: > > Hi Daniel > ... I think I read somewhere there is a slightly different > kit needed so you can retain the bar end weights, 04's never came with weights > and with them installed the only difference I noticed was maybe slightly less > blurring of the mirrors, my hands couldn't tell a difference between with or > without them.

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I m just full of disappointing news, bar risers are probably not a good idea either since your cables will be too short. You might be able to rotate the handlebars back a bit for more clearance but that changes the geometry of the handlebars. I will be selling several other risers, I have ordered today some Rox Risers. http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=268 The model I have coming will allow you to use either a 7/8 or 1 1/8 handlebar. These should give you some adjustment that a regular bar riser won t. I also sell the Powermadd risers. http://www.powermadd.com/products/ATVriser.html You shouldn t have to cut anything to fit your handguards to your KLR. They ALL will require some slight bending to allow all the angles to line up flush. If your bolts and clamps aren t aligned flush, they won t stay tight. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com From: Daniel Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:09 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Handguards for '09 KLR650? Thanks, Fred. Informative, if disappointing ;-). Do you know if Eagle Mike's handle bar risers, or any other risers or equivalent, allow us to have guards that don't impact the fairing while also not needing to bend or cut them? Daniel
--- In mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hink" wrote: > > That is a problem with the late model KLRs as there isn t much room between the guards and the windscreen. There are no guards made specifically for your bike but some models are better than others. You will have to custom fit just about any guard to your bike to make them fit. Bending the Acerbis Rally Pro is difficult at best since they already have the plastic guards attached. The Maier Woods Pro will fit and bend a little easier since the plastic guards are added separately from the aluminum guards. There are several models of the Maier Woods Pro. The ATV model seems to fit the best on the older KLRs and the regular model Maier Woods Pro fits better on the newer model KLRs. > > Fred > http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > > > > From: Daniel > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 1:16 PM > To: mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > I should clarify that part of the problem I'm having is that the guards impact and get stuck on the fairings at full left/right stop. I don't think that's as much of a headache on the pre-08's. > > Daniel > > --- In mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" wrote: > > > > Did you have to modify the handguards or move anything around on the handlebars to make them fit? > > > > I have an '08 and am just getting around to putting on a set of Acerbis Rally Pro guards ahead of the Sheetiron. The set I bought doesn't fit easily, to say the least. I had to get hinged brackets, will still need to cut out part of the plastic, and might have to rotate/move some of the other bits on the handlebar. I'd rather get a set that's made for the 08/09's. > > > > Great timing on this question. Thanks. > > > > Daniel > > > > --- In mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, Greg May wrote: > > > > > > I just installed Barkbuster Storms on mine, they installed easily, fit > > > perfectly, block the wind much better then stock and I suspect would survive > > > most things the bike wouldn't......have a great day.....Greg > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > > From: glennintn > > > To: mailto:DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com > > > Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 7:23:40 PM > > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > > > > > > > Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? > > > > > > Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. > > > > > > Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different > > > choices. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud

Post by Jud » Tue May 03, 2011 6:10 pm

You are right, the same thing happens on the earlier bikes, but it is not as much of an issue. If I have the bars rolled back, to drop the tips for better road ergonomics, my rally Pros will not even touch the smaller screen at full lock. But when I roll the bars forward to bring the tips up (to facilitate standing) then the guards will foul the stock screen. Because the screen and fairing will readily flex out of the way, I am willing to put up with it to get the set-up I want.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" wrote: > > I should clarify that part of the problem I'm having is that the guards impact and get stuck on the fairings at full left/right stop. I don't think that's as much of a headache on the pre-08's. > > Daniel > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" wrote: > > > > Did you have to modify the handguards or move anything around on the handlebars to make them fit? > > > > I have an '08 and am just getting around to putting on a set of Acerbis Rally Pro guards ahead of the Sheetiron. The set I bought doesn't fit easily, to say the least. I had to get hinged brackets, will still need to cut out part of the plastic, and might have to rotate/move some of the other bits on the handlebar. I'd rather get a set that's made for the 08/09's. > > > > Great timing on this question. Thanks. > > > > Daniel > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Greg May wrote: > > > > > > I just installed Barkbuster Storms on mine, they installed easily, fit > > > perfectly, block the wind much better then stock and I suspect would survive > > > most things the bike wouldn't......have a great day.....Greg > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > > From: glennintn > > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > > Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 7:23:40 PM > > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Handguards for '09 KLR650? > > > > > > > > > Which brand, style, mounting hardware would you recommend for an '09 KLR650? > > > > > > Upgrading from OEM plastic guards to something more substantial. > > > > > > Lots of choices, but would like to hear some pros and cons of the different > > > choices. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > >