klr650 : torque

DSN_KLR650
beemerbigdawg@aol.com

handlebars

Post by beemerbigdawg@aol.com » Fri Apr 28, 2000 2:34 pm

Okay, now that I have come clean and everyone knows that I'm a real KLR owner, I have a question for the list. I'm thinking of swapping handlebars for something that does not have as much pull back as the stock bars. I know that if I go too straight, I'll have a clearance problem with the fairing. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, has anyone successfully mounted ProTapers to the KLR using the universal kit? Bob D. Formerly known as: BeemerBigDawg

S2Mumford@aol.com

handlebars

Post by S2Mumford@aol.com » Wed Aug 23, 2000 7:39 pm

Hey John, I have the Renthal Desert bends and highly recommend them. I filled them with urethane window sealer and they don't buzz at all like the stockers used to. They are a heck of a lot tougher,too. One good biff and the stockers bend ..these have (unfortunately) gone thru several spectacular biffs, with no apparent damage, 'cept for grinding the end off the left hand side during a especially impressive and thankfully rare on-road get-off. CA Stu <-- Just say KOG and get it over with!!

Mark Cheramy

handlebars

Post by Mark Cheramy » Thu Apr 12, 2001 10:23 am

Am thinking about replacing bars on my A-!5 with the Renthal XR 650 bars. They seem to be fairly close in bend and such but are quite a bit lower than stock. Any experience on how the bike will ride/handle? If you've done this mod yourself I'd like to hear about what you thought of the results. Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

saladshooterKLR@webtv.net

handlebars

Post by saladshooterKLR@webtv.net » Thu Apr 12, 2001 11:26 am

I am running a set of xr bend Renthals on mine and really like them. No adverse handling effects and they don't seem to vibrate much at all. Unlike the stock bars they replaced, the renthals have survived many a fall over and a couple of low speed get offs with no damage. Only modification needed was to grind off the alignment tit from the left side switch cluster. Don KLRA13 "Salad Shooter" 73 Suzuki TS185 Mandan, North Dakota

BCSavWill@cs.com

handlebars

Post by BCSavWill@cs.com » Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:48 pm

Hi, I uase a Renthal KX bend TIBar, works for me. I like the lower, norrower slightly less bend feel. On the pegs is better and it's easier to get your weight forward. You will need to watch cold start lever to tank clearance, or just remove it if you can. Mine all fits ok, just needs carefull fitting. Acerbis pro guards also need carefull, fiddly fitting, but can be done. Brian A14 TE 410E Honolulu, HI [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

epmkessler@core.com

handlebars

Post by epmkessler@core.com » Mon May 21, 2001 9:21 am

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the stock handlebar? The handlebar comparison chart that used to be on the DSN web-site hasn't been loaded to the new web-site yet. Does anyone know of an aluminum replacement of stock dimensions? Thanks, Eric A12

Stephen

handlebars

Post by Stephen » Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:52 pm

I burried my bike into the side of a hill this weekend. I survived but unfortunately the stock handlebars did not. What replacement handlebars do you guys recommend and where is the best place to get them. Thanks Stephen

jett@rimrockconsulting.com

handlebars

Post by jett@rimrockconsulting.com » Mon Oct 22, 2001 1:48 am

Been there ... I got a Renthal 'Desert' bar from Fred at http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com/ , for about $85. As I recall, start installing the control assemblies from the right side, not the left. Also, the left assembly has a pilot pin that inserts into a hole on the front side of the stock bar -- you'll need to drill a hole for the pin, or file it off. I started with the Pro Gel grips, but the left grip was a little too large and never cemented down properly. Recently changed to Renthal grips (and glue) and they fit much better. I also squirted a tube of GE silicone caulk inside my handlebar and let it cure for a few days to dampen vibrations. No empirics but I think it helped. Overall the bar looks good and is much stronger than stock. Jett
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Stephen" wrote: > I burried my bike into the side of a hill this weekend. I survived > but unfortunately the stock handlebars did not. What replacement > handlebars do you guys recommend and where is the best place to get > them. > > Thanks > > Stephen

RM

handlebars

Post by RM » Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:02 am

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 jett@... wrote:
>Been there ... >I got a Renthal 'Desert' bar from Fred at >http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com/ , for about $85.
Chaparral also stocks these for $60 but I don't know how much they charge for shipping. It's the "Desert/High" model #666. RM
>--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Stephen" wrote: >> I burried my bike into the side of a hill this weekend. I survived >> but unfortunately the stock handlebars did not. What replacement >> handlebars do you guys recommend and where is the best place to get >> them.

Porter Watson

handlebars

Post by Porter Watson » Tue May 07, 2002 8:28 pm

Somebody out there has GOT to have OEM handlebars around after replacing them with the high priced spread. I'm looking for some--Porter