how do you keep your centerstand from dragging?

DSN_KLR650
matrix1264@aol.com

oil sight glass

Post by matrix1264@aol.com » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:56 pm

when the bike is leaning stright where should the oils line be? halfway more to the top.. Right now its almost at the top. Thanks! Matthew tucson az 2000 klr 650

John Holliman

oil sight glass

Post by John Holliman » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:06 pm

I am probably the most recent purchaser on the list and the bike shop mechanic told me btween 1/2 and the top. But what do I know? -----Original Message----- From: matrix1264@... [mailto:matrix1264@...] Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 2:56 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] oil sight glass when the bike is leaning stright where should the oils line be? halfway more to the top.. Right now its almost at the top. Thanks! Matthew tucson az 2000 klr 650 Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Scott Adams

oil sight glass

Post by Scott Adams » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:40 pm

AHHHHH THE SIGHT GLASS THREAD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please check the archives... -Scott

RM

oil sight glass

Post by RM » Wed Nov 21, 2001 5:37 pm

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 matrix1264@... wrote:
>when the bike is leaning stright where should the oils line be? halfway >more to the top.. Right now its almost at the top. Thanks!
This is the topic of a 1999 holy war. Some people go to the top plus 10oz. Others go to the top. A few stop at 1/2 way up. I stop at the top and add oil when it gets down to 3/4.

sheldon weaver

oil sight glass

Post by sheldon weaver » Sat May 03, 2003 12:29 pm

finally got found some freetime to replace my cracked oil sight glass. yeah, it only took 5 minutes, but i wanted to allow extra time for mr murphy usual visitation. no problems. for the archive record, the oil sight glass is actually real glass. the red-hot nail just cracked it more, then i used a screwdriver to pry the hot old out and a socket to tap the frozen new one in.my thanks to the listers who gave suggestions when i posed the problem to the list a month or so ago. sheldon a15lancaster/phila, pa --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Khoury

how do you keep your centerstand from dragging?

Post by Jeff Khoury » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:12 am

No, not really. I was just wondering if it was some term I'd never heard of. Sometimes I come across variations in local dialect that leave me stumped. Sometimes my Missouri dialect will stump others. Sometimes it's difficult for me to avoid using "Holler" or "Slough" (pronounced "Sloo") to refer to geographical areas when I'm talking to non-hillbillies. :-) -Jeff Khoury From: "E Hines" To: "Jeff Khoury" Cc: "DSN" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:09:27 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: How do you keep your centerstand from dragging? You must have been an English major. How about a rocky ravine. That's what I get for trying to multi-task. From: Jeff Khoury To: E Hines Cc: Jud ; DSN KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tue, April 26, 2011 2:33:59 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: How do you keep your centerstand from dragging? What's a rock raven? -Jeff Khoury From: "E Hines" < ridingmyklr@... > To: "Jud" < judjonzz@... >, "DSN KLR650" < DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:24:09 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: How do you keep your centerstand from dragging? Take it off. It just gets in the way. I use the bike very aggressively, rock ravens, jumping logs, etc. There are other ways, that do not add weight or get in the way when riding, to change or repair a tire when on the road. ________________________________ From: Jud < judjonzz@... > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tue, April 26, 2011 10:36:37 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: How do you keep your centerstand from dragging? I suppose it would be churlish to mention that this question cannot come up if you just leave the center stand off the bike. Just one of many reasons to pass on this accessory.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com , "gremoby61" wrote: > > hello, > > I have a 2002 KLR 650, am stationed here in Germany, in Rheinland Pfalz. Lots >and lots of curvy back roads. I'm always dragging my centerstand. I don't know >which on it is, but it's the adjustable one I bought from fred about 1 year ago. >I like it a lot, but it's always dragging. > > I'm running Conti Escapes (17/21), and I weigh ~250 with riding gear, and the >rear shock is set on #4. > > I'm kind of an aggressive rider, at least not too bad, but that centerstand >touching down is making me have second thoughts. > > Thanks, and greetings from Germany > > Harry > Take it [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dominick Martin

oil sight glass

Post by Dominick Martin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:30 pm

All, Thanks for the welcomes and replies. They are much appreciated. The bike was upright/vertical when checking the sight glass so i am pretty sure the sight glass is bogus somehow. But, since I live in a small apartment and unfortunatley don't have the work space or tools to play with just yet. I think I might take it into a Kawasaki dealer and have them give the entire bike a complete once over. Little things like the chain looking a little loose and the bike starting/warming up kind of slow, and not shifting too great through some gears make me want to have a professional get their hands on it and give me their opinion. For the most part it really is a beast and runs pretty smoothly!! I actually took it out for my second ride today, on the highway in around 35mph winds... It was a fun ride to say the least. haha=) oh... Revmaatin, thanks for the links they were very helpful! (I am at Bragg) Take care! -Dom