control levers, inner tube, for sale

DSN_KLR650
Kevin Powers

problem with cam chain tensioner?

Post by Kevin Powers » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:32 am

My KLR (2004 w/30,XXX miles) has developed a slow knocking that I believe is being caused by the cam chain. If I remove and reinstall the cam chain tensioner the noise goes away, but returns after I take the bike for a ride. A close look at the tensioner shows that several of the teeth are deformed and no longer sharp and well defined. I thinking that the pawl on the tensioner is landing in these teeth, but that during engine operation, acceleration/decelration the pawl slips on the deformed teeth, allowing slack in the cam chain which produces the knocking. Has anyone encountered this before? I may fiddle with trying to "clean up" the teeth but I may end up replacing the tensioner assembly. -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Gary Thacker

Post by Gary Thacker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:38 am

Hi Kevin Sorry to hear of the problem but I think the other question would be "did you doo the doo"? Gary Souderton, Pa. "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~ Abraham Lincoln ~~ "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~~Thomas Jefferson~~ To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com From: PowersHouse@... Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:30:57 -0500 Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Problem with Cam Chain Tensioner? My KLR (2004 w/30,XXX miles) has developed a slow knocking that I believe is being caused by the cam chain. If I remove and reinstall the cam chain tensioner the noise goes away, but returns after I take the bike for a ride. A close look at the tensioner shows that several of the teeth are deformed and no longer sharp and well defined. I thinking that the pawl on the tensioner is landing in these teeth, but that during engine operation, acceleration/decelration the pawl slips on the deformed teeth, allowing slack in the cam chain which produces the knocking. Has anyone encountered this before? I may fiddle with trying to "clean up" the teeth but I may end up replacing the tensioner assembly. -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kevin Powers

Post by Kevin Powers » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:56 am

Good question - the doo was done several years ago.
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Gary Thacker wrote: > > Hi Kevin > > Sorry to hear of the problem but I think the other question would be "did > you doo the doo"? > > > Gary > Souderton, Pa. > > "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose > our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." > ~~ Abraham Lincoln ~~ > > "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are > willing to work and give to those who would not." > ~~Thomas Jefferson~~ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > From: PowersHouse@... > Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:30:57 -0500 > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Problem with Cam Chain Tensioner? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > My KLR (2004 w/30,XXX miles) has developed a slow knocking that I > believe is > > being caused by the cam chain. If I remove and reinstall the cam chain > > tensioner the noise goes away, but returns after I take the bike for a > > ride. A close look at the tensioner shows that several of the teeth are > > deformed and no longer sharp and well defined. I thinking that the pawl on > > the tensioner is landing in these teeth, but that during engine operation, > > acceleration/decelration the pawl slips on the deformed teeth, allowing > > slack in the cam chain which produces the knocking. Has anyone encountered > > this before? I may fiddle with trying to "clean up" the teeth but I may > end > > up replacing the tensioner assembly. > > > > -- > > Kevin Powers > > White Bear Lake, MN > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com > Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map > Group Apps: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! > Groups Links > > > > -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

hgyrmliun

control levers, inner tube, for sale

Post by hgyrmliun » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:41 pm

For those heading out onto the lonely trail, it's wise to carry spares of the parts that are easily broken. Here are some parts for the older model KLR650 that have never been used at half the price of new, plus $3 for mailing: (1) Rear brake lever (part #43077-1065) $53 (2) Clutch lever assemblies w/cables (part # 46076-1142) $17 each (2) Front brake levers (part #46092-1135) $6 each (1) Front inner tube (part #41022-1244) $13 (1) Gear shift lever (part #13242-00110) $16 Dave, New York