2006 klr for sale.

DSN_KLR650
eddiebmauri

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by eddiebmauri » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:41 am

I have a question, do you all prefer Maps or a GPS? I am old school and prefer a map. Maps are cheep, reliable, and accurate, plus, to me, a map gives a feel for the size of the area that one is in. Usually, a map is not in error, a GPS, good luck. Also, if I leave a map on my bike and someone takes it, who cares, if someone nabs a GPS, ouch. Maps do not need batteries nor a power cord. Maps or GPS? Eddie (KLR650 - "la poderosa")

Kevin Powers

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by Kevin Powers » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:00 am

I use them in tandem. Maps can't be beat for big-picture planning. GPS database info can be tremendously useful - very hand at the end of the day to query nearby hotels and phone numbers to call ahead for a room. GPS is also handy for evaluating what-if routing scenarios. I find that setting the gps display to always have north at the top of the screen (rather than direction of travel) helps me to stay oriented. -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM, eddiebmauri wrote: I have a question, do you all prefer Maps or a GPS? I am old school and prefer a map. Maps are cheep, reliable, and accurate, plus, to me, a map gives a feel for the size of the area that one is in. Usually, a map is not in error, a GPS, good luck. Also, if I leave a map on my bike and someone takes it, who cares, if someone nabs a GPS, ouch. Maps do not need batteries nor a power cord. Maps or GPS? Eddie (KLR650 - "la poderosa")

2wheelsdaily@pineland.net

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by 2wheelsdaily@pineland.net » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:01 am

Maps are fine until you're in traffic or on an interstate with no good place to pull off and look. That is when the GPS is nice, to glance at. Definitely not "must have", but sometimes nice to have. Even then, a map backup is good because electronics do break. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Jeff Saline

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by Jeff Saline » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:38 am

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:41:10 -0000 "eddiebmauri" writes:
> I have a question, do you all prefer Maps or a GPS?
SNIP
> Eddie (KLR650 - "la poderosa")
<><><><><><><> <><><><><><><> Eddie, I like to use a GPS and a map most of the time. The GPS is good for keeping me on track if I'm following a route in unfamiliar territory. I also get some interesting information from it like max speed, average speed, distance traveled, moving time which can be way different from the travel time for the day. It can also be helpful when I get lost and want to figure out how to get to a certain place. Maps are really handy to use when planning a route and I use them along with my GPS mapping software. The DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for each state I'm riding in are about the best I've found for interesting and small roads and trails. The map is also handy when riding as I can use it to see the bigger picture while using the GPS zoomed in to help me make sure I'm where I'd like to be. Being handy with both GPS and maps allows me to pick the product that best suits my needs at the moment. I rely on neither 100% and like to use my brain to keep me out of trouble. Unlike Kevin, I like to have my GPS with direction of travel pointed ahead on the screen. That way when I get to an intersection I don't have to try to figure out which way is north and am I suppose to turn left (east) in reality while the GPS turn is going to the right (cause I'm traveling south) and the screen is pointing north to top. That just works best for me. I've traveled a bit with the GPS off and only turned it on to get me un lost. It was more helpful than a map as it knew where I was and the map didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The GPS can also help you when exploring as mine can show me where I've already traveled so if I pop out on a road that's unfamiliar I can tell I was already on it and which way I was traveling. In western South Dakota a Black Hills National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map is a necessity. It shows where you may and may not be with a motor vehicle in the Black Hills. It also identifies trails which require a use permit and shows lots of neat ways to get about the hills. If you'd like to check one out I'm told you can view them at www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills You can pick up a copy for free at any Black Hills Ranger Office or Headquarters. There are three maps, North Half, South Half and Wyoming Unit. In the Wyoming Unit you need a Wyoming vehicle use permit for some parts of the forest. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT . ____________________________________________________________ Mortgage Rates Hit 2.99% If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Gov't Refi Programs http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d0f863bee49c7e4007st03vuc

spike55_bmw

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by spike55_bmw » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:31 pm

I use the paper map to get the 'big picture' plan in my head. Then I'll list out the route numbers / road names on paper for under my tankbag window but sometimes that plan changes. Then I have a small Garmin eTrex HCx (color & pocket-size) mounted on the handlebar's cross-brace where I can use my left hand to zoom in/out and scroll ahead. The GPS is invaluable for fast-paced dirt road riding when you're the road captain and everyone is following you and you're in an area where you have multiple choices to get from pt A to B. The GPS keeps me 'situationally aware' as I travel anywhere but then again, I might be a little more hyper about this than most. The other big benefit for me is that the eTrex HCx, as well as others, record a "crumb-trail" of everywhere you where. After the trip, I download this into my computer (Garmin software) and can re-live the trip, missed turns, turn-arounds, spin-outs, where I could have gotten a serious speeding ticket, vistas, etc. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddiebmauri" wrote: > > I have a question, do you all prefer Maps or a GPS? I am old school and prefer a map. Maps are cheep, reliable, and accurate, plus, to me, a map gives a feel for the size of the area that one is in. Usually, a map is not in error, a GPS, good luck. Also, if I leave a map on my bike and someone takes it, who cares, if someone nabs a GPS, ouch. Maps do not need batteries nor a power cord. Maps or GPS? > > Eddie (KLR650 - "la poderosa") >

Adam Tworkowski

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by Adam Tworkowski » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Here here to "in tandem" suggestion. GPS is especially useful for urban areas. You might have the appropriate maps for the region but probably not for each urban area. Need to find the city center and not enough signage? Look for a Points of Interest (POI), such as a museums, on your GPS. It is also worth noting that, while GPS maps can be lacking, there are still areas on this planet were paper maps don't work that well either. Roads are present on the map, but not in reality. In this sense it is nice to have "two opinions". From my experience, much of the western hemisphere is not well supported by GPS manufacturers -- in my case, Garmin. Canada, the USA, Mexico, and Brazil -- the rest is available via a large picture "world map". I have found that the Open Street Map project was pretty cool. I was able to download customized map sets for areas that I was going to travel in. They are not perfect, but do add a lot of clarity to where otherwise there would be little. Because it is an "open" community driven project, more diligent users (i.e. not me) have added all sorts of interesting POIs. Gas stations, places to sleep, your local Kawasaki dealership... Adam

Eddie

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by Eddie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:43 pm

One eddie to another, I prefer a good ole' map for the "big picture", too! I have a GPS for marking spots on the fly & double checking my distances (really useful when hiking). Recently, I found and ordered from www.digital-topo-maps.com. I'm gonna sound like a commerecial here. But, you can buy a map of the area YOU chose and have it printed on a water resistant paper with UV safe inks. The spot I had printed consisted of pieces of four different grid maps. So, I saved big time. eddie
> [Original Message] > From: eddiebmauri > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > Date: 12/20/2010 10:41:18 AM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Maps vs. GPS - nonklrish > > I have a question, do you all prefer Maps or a GPS? I am old school and
prefer a map. Maps are cheep, reliable, and accurate, plus, to me, a map gives a feel for the size of the area that one is in. Usually, a map is not in error, a GPS, good luck. Also, if I leave a map on my bike and someone takes it, who cares, if someone nabs a GPS, ouch. Maps do not need batteries nor a power cord. Maps or GPS?
> > Eddie (KLR650 - "la poderosa") > >

spike55_bmw

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by spike55_bmw » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:46 pm

For more local riding, I disassebled the Pennsylvania DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer and waterproofed the pages with stuff from a camping equipment store. Many other states are available. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" wrote: > > > One eddie to another, I prefer a good ole' map for the "big picture", too! > I have a GPS for marking spots on the fly & double checking my distances > (really useful when hiking). > > Recently, I found and ordered from www.digital-topo-maps.com. > I'm gonna sound like a commerecial here. > But, you can buy a map of the area YOU chose and have it printed on a water > resistant paper with UV safe inks. > The spot I had printed consisted of pieces of four different grid maps. So, > I saved big time. > > eddie > > > > [Original Message] > > From: eddiebmauri > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > > Date: 12/20/2010 10:41:18 AM > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Maps vs. GPS - nonklrish > > > > I have a question, do you all prefer Maps or a GPS? I am old school and > prefer a map. Maps are cheep, reliable, and accurate, plus, to me, a map > gives a feel for the size of the area that one is in. Usually, a map is > not in error, a GPS, good luck. Also, if I leave a map on my bike and > someone takes it, who cares, if someone nabs a GPS, ouch. Maps do not need > batteries nor a power cord. Maps or GPS? > > > > Eddie (KLR650 - "la poderosa") > > > > >

Eric J Foster

2006 klr for sale.

Post by Eric J Foster » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Oh, duh, Central Maine. Pittsfield. E
On 12/20/2010 8:39 PM, Shane Bland wrote: Where is this machine? Thanks, Shane Vini,Vidi,Refici! --- On [b]Mon, 12/20/10, n1rzc [i]TheHaymaker@...[/i][/b] wrote: From: n1rzc TheHaymaker@... Subject: [DSN_KLR650] 2006 KLR for sale. To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Date: Monday, December 20, 2010, 8:10 PM As said, 2006 MINT. 372 pavement miles, black and red, stored inside. 3600.00. More than likely needs a carb cleaning from sitting, based on what he told me. Have not seen bike, belongs to a coworker. Contact me off list if interested, I'll put you in contact. E

Jud

maps vs. gps - nonklrish

Post by Jud » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:06 pm

I find keeping East at the top of the screen keeps me better Oriented.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Saline wrote: > > On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:41:10 -0000 "eddiebmauri" > writes: > > > I have a question, do you all prefer Maps or a GPS? > > SNIP > > > Eddie (KLR650 - "la poderosa") > <><><><><><><> > <><><><><><><> > > Eddie, > > I like to use a GPS and a map most of the time. > > The GPS is good for keeping me on track if I'm following a route in > unfamiliar territory. I also get some interesting information from it > like max speed, average speed, distance traveled, moving time which can > be way different from the travel time for the day. It can also be > helpful when I get lost and want to figure out how to get to a certain > place. > > Maps are really handy to use when planning a route and I use them along > with my GPS mapping software. The DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for each > state I'm riding in are about the best I've found for interesting and > small roads and trails. The map is also handy when riding as I can use > it to see the bigger picture while using the GPS zoomed in to help me > make sure I'm where I'd like to be. > > Being handy with both GPS and maps allows me to pick the product that > best suits my needs at the moment. I rely on neither 100% and like to > use my brain to keep me out of trouble. > > Unlike Kevin, I like to have my GPS with direction of travel pointed > ahead on the screen. That way when I get to an intersection I don't have > to try to figure out which way is north and am I suppose to turn left > (east) in reality while the GPS turn is going to the right (cause I'm > traveling south) and the screen is pointing north to top. That just > works best for me. > > I've traveled a bit with the GPS off and only turned it on to get me un > lost. It was more helpful than a map as it knew where I was and the map > didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The GPS can also help you > when exploring as mine can show me where I've already traveled so if I > pop out on a road that's unfamiliar I can tell I was already on it and > which way I was traveling. > > In western South Dakota a Black Hills National Forest Motor Vehicle Use > Map is a necessity. It shows where you may and may not be with a motor > vehicle in the Black Hills. It also identifies trails which require a > use permit and shows lots of neat ways to get about the hills. If you'd > like to check one out I'm told you can view them at > www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills You can pick up a copy for free at any > Black Hills Ranger Office or Headquarters. There are three maps, North > Half, South Half and Wyoming Unit. In the Wyoming Unit you need a > Wyoming vehicle use permit for some parts of the forest. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT > > . > ____________________________________________________________ > Mortgage Rates Hit 2.99% > If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Gov't Refi Programs > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d0f863bee49c7e4007st03vuc >