valve adjustment with motor off the bike and doohicky

DSN_KLR650
kawthump1669

rear wheel alignment

Post by kawthump1669 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:22 pm

I dont think any damage was done to the swingarm. As far as I can tell its a problem with the rear caliper. If everything is together and torqued down the wheel wont move. If I take off the rear caliper, which is stuck on there pretty well, the wheel is fine and spins freely. Ive tried to compress the piston and even though the piston is retracting all the way the wheel is seized when its back together. I have no idea.

Tony Cornett

rear wheel alignment

Post by Tony Cornett » Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:27 pm

I had the same problem when I put new tires on. I tried to replace the assembly without removing the caliper two bolts only. I put the bracket on and wheel made sure everything fit and then put the caliper back on. Presto just as the manual says it worked. TC
----- Original Message ----- From: "kawthump1669" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 9:22 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] re: rear wheel alignment > I dont think any damage was done to the swingarm. As far as I can > tell its a problem with the rear caliper. If everything is together > and torqued down the wheel wont move. If I take off the rear caliper, > which is stuck on there pretty well, the wheel is fine and spins > freely. Ive tried to compress the piston and even though the piston > is retracting all the way the wheel is seized when its back together. > I have no idea. > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Devon Jarvis

rear wheel alignment

Post by Devon Jarvis » Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:45 pm

You should not need to remove the rear caliper in order to get the rear wheel off and back on. It does make it easier if you push the piston back into the caliper body, so you don't have to hit such a small target trying to slip the rotor back in between the pads. I have had the rear wheel off probably 5 times, and never had to take the caliper off to get it back on. Devon Tony Cornett wrote:
> I had the same problem when I put new tires on. I tried to replace the > assembly without removing the caliper two bolts only. I put the bracket on > and wheel made sure everything fit and then put the caliper back on. Presto > just as the manual says it worked. TC > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "kawthump1669" > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 9:22 PM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] re: rear wheel alignment > > > I dont think any damage was done to the swingarm. As far as I can > > tell its a problem with the rear caliper. If everything is together > > and torqued down the wheel wont move. If I take off the rear caliper, > > which is stuck on there pretty well, the wheel is fine and spins > > freely. Ive tried to compress the piston and even though the piston > > is retracting all the way the wheel is seized when its back together. > > I have no idea. > >

Stuart Mumford

rear wheel alignment

Post by Stuart Mumford » Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:37 am

Double check you didn't forget any of the spacers on the rear axle. This is very common, and it will misalign the rear disc to the caliper and result in drag, at the very least. I had a shop forget a spacer on mine, and the first indication I had that something was wrong was the rear disc got really hot (It was in a bind). I would bet money (up to $50) that this is your problem. In the unlikely event it isn't , may I suggest you grease up the sliders and bleed the rear brake. Good Luck CA Stu Riverside CA
> > > I dont think any damage was done to the swingarm. As far as I can > > tell its a problem with the rear caliper. If everything is together > > and torqued down the wheel wont move. If I take off the rear caliper, > > which is stuck on there pretty well, the wheel is fine and spins > > freely. Ive tried to compress the piston and even though the piston > > is retracting all the way the wheel is seized when its back together. > > I have no idea. > >

Tony Cornett

rear wheel alignment

Post by Tony Cornett » Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:41 am

That is the procedure inthe manual. Idid not follow it the first time and I had the same problem. When I removed the caliper everything fit great no binding when the caliper was replaced. TC
----- Original Message ----- From: "Devon Jarvis" To: "Tony Cornett" ; DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 9:39 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] re: rear wheel alignment > You should not need to remove the rear caliper in order to get the rear wheel > off and back on. It does make it easier if you push the piston back into the > caliper body, so you don't have to hit such a small target trying to slip the > rotor back in between the pads. > > I have had the rear wheel off probably 5 times, and never had to take the > caliper off to get it back on. > > Devon > > Tony Cornett wrote: > > > I had the same problem when I put new tires on. I tried to replace the > > assembly without removing the caliper two bolts only. I put the bracket on > > and wheel made sure everything fit and then put the caliper back on. Presto > > just as the manual says it worked. TC > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "kawthump1669" > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > > Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 9:22 PM > > Subject: [DSN_klr650] re: rear wheel alignment > > > > > I dont think any damage was done to the swingarm. As far as I can > > > tell its a problem with the rear caliper. If everything is together > > > and torqued down the wheel wont move. If I take off the rear caliper, > > > which is stuck on there pretty well, the wheel is fine and spins > > > freely. Ive tried to compress the piston and even though the piston > > > is retracting all the way the wheel is seized when its back together. > > > I have no idea. > > > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Devon Jarvis

rear wheel alignment

Post by Devon Jarvis » Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:28 am

Is it possible that you reinstalled the wheel bearings without the spacer that goes inside the hub? This would leave everything looking OK from the outside, but when you tighten down the axle the wheel wouldn't turn. Devon TM1669@... wrote:
> I passed the test. The wheel went on with the caliper installed. It seems the > wheel moves a little better but everything's not tightened down yet. The > brake still drags badly.

TM1669@cs.com

rear wheel alignment

Post by TM1669@cs.com » Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:55 am

The spacers are there and in place. The larger one to the brake side. The wheel will turn fine with everything tightened down except the caliper. Once that gets tightened down it locks the wheel.

guymanbro

rear wheel alignment

Post by guymanbro » Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:28 am

Have you tried the easy stuff first? Loosened the chain adjustment sliders before putting the caliper on? Then using whatever method you like, line everything up so the chain looks straight, and THEN torque the axle nut. dat brooklyn bum
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., TM1669@c... wrote: > The spacers are there and in place. The larger one to the brake side. The wheel will turn fine with everything tightened down except the caliper. Once that gets tightened down it locks the wheel.

jimsherlock

rear wheel alignment

Post by jimsherlock » Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:34 pm

>I have always just used the markings on the swingarm to align the wheel.
But, last night I was adjusting my chain and noticed that the small plate on the left side (with one indicator mark) that fits on the swingarm has some play in it when the wheel nut is loose. I could move that little plate with my hand enough that it would change the reading on the left side by half an increment.

Darrel & Deanna

rear wheel alignment

Post by Darrel & Deanna » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:27 pm

Ditto. After warping a rotor due to misalignment, I've resorted to measuring from the center of the axle to the end of the swingarm. Works good and you don't have to use a ruler. An allen wrench with a mark scratched on it works too. Darrel A12 *************** I use a graduated steel scale, machinists and sheet metal workers always have them. If, I'm really worried I'll get out my 6" adjustable square. I true the wheel to the ends of the swingarm. Of all the bikes I have had over the years, this method has never failed me. Those nicks are just a general guide. The string thing is cool, too. I just don't feel like going through all that when I can reach in my bag and pull out a measuring tool to do the job. Jim Cedar Creek, Texas