crotona midnight run, yonkers, ny feb 27, 2010

DSN_KLR650
klr6501995

nklr - home made boats ?

Post by klr6501995 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 am

Hello, in the spirit of self sufficient living. I was recently given a non-functional yamaha 95 waverrunner. 760cc. After makeing a few dollars from the engine, ignition I have to dispose of the fiberglass hull. As I look and ponder how to use the curbside trash pickup, it came across to me I can use the lower hull for my first ever boat! Anybody here have a link or two that could assit me in converting a jetski into some sort of usable small "dingy" ? I've never been good at fishing or interested. Always wanted a boat of some sorts. Not to afraid to challenge the boats limits as I'm a good swimmer and know my limits, or at least willing to test those limits. In a pond at the very least.I like eating fish more than beef these days. Anyone have a link with advice on how to use a lower hull from a jetski as a small row-boat or small outboard-sail boat ? Regards, vansee

David H

nklr - home made boats ?

Post by David H » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 am

Do you still have the jet uint in it? if so how about a KLR650 powered jetski. If not, first you have to fill the holes left, then seperate the top and hull, make a stiffener around to top edge, add a seat, add oarlocks, maybe something light for decking like canvas, then let us know how well it works.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "klr6501995" wrote: > > Hello, > in the spirit of self sufficient living. > > I was recently given a non-functional yamaha 95 waverrunner. 760cc. > > After makeing a few dollars from the engine, ignition I have to dispose of the > fiberglass hull. > > As I look and ponder how to use the curbside trash pickup, it came across to me > I can use the lower hull for my first ever boat! > > Anybody here have a link or two that could assit me in converting a jetski into > some sort of usable small "dingy" ? > > I've never been good at fishing or interested. Always wanted a boat of some > sorts. Not to afraid to challenge the boats limits as I'm a good swimmer and > know my limits, or at least willing to test those limits. In a pond at the very > least.I like eating fish more than beef these days. > > Anyone have a link with advice on how to use a lower hull from a jetski as a > small row-boat or small outboard-sail boat ? > > Regards, > vansee >

spike55_bmw

nklr - home made boats ?

Post by spike55_bmw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:41 am

Vansee: It isn't as easy as it might seem since it is a jet pump. My brother and I (mostly him) installed a bastardized motorcycle / Berkley jet pump in a old jon boat and the first issue that arose was air - entrainment. At speed, the flat bottom boat allowed too much air to mix into the pump's water supply causing over-revs and power spurts. He fashioned hollowed out wooden keel that improved the situation but not completely. You need a clean supply of water - no air. The another issue was proper water cooling. This shouldn't be an issue with a 'purpose-built' unit that you have as long as you have a good water supply. The last issue was noise: engine noise and exhaust noise. If you address all of those issues, you'll have something. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "klr6501995" wrote: > > Hello, > in the spirit of self sufficient living. > > I was recently given a non-functional yamaha 95 waverrunner. 760cc. > > After makeing a few dollars from the engine, ignition I have to dispose of the > fiberglass hull. > > As I look and ponder how to use the curbside trash pickup, it came across to me > I can use the lower hull for my first ever boat! > > Anybody here have a link or two that could assit me in converting a jetski into > some sort of usable small "dingy" ? > > I've never been good at fishing or interested. Always wanted a boat of some > sorts. Not to afraid to challenge the boats limits as I'm a good swimmer and > know my limits, or at least willing to test those limits. In a pond at the very > least.I like eating fish more than beef these days. > > Anyone have a link with advice on how to use a lower hull from a jetski as a > small row-boat or small outboard-sail boat ? > > Regards, > vansee >

klr6501995

nklr - home made boats ?

Post by klr6501995 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks, The only plan is to seal the hole , add a large trolling type motor. Just want a free small boat that is maybe under-powered. I know not a thing about boats. But look foward to this summer getting on the water. May end up buying a kayak.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "spike55_bmw" wrote: > > Vansee: > It isn't as easy as it might seem since it is a jet pump. My brother and I (mostly him) installed a bastardized motorcycle / Berkley jet pump in a old jon boat and the first issue that arose was air - entrainment. At speed, the flat bottom boat allowed too much air to mix into the pump's water supply causing over-revs and power spurts. He fashioned hollowed out wooden keel that improved the situation but not completely. You need a clean supply of water - no air. > > The another issue was proper water cooling. This shouldn't be an issue with a 'purpose-built' unit that you have as long as you have a good water supply. > > The last issue was noise: engine noise and exhaust noise. > > If you address all of those issues, you'll have something. > > Don R100, A6F >

Thomas Komjathy

nklr - home made boats ?

Post by Thomas Komjathy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:29 pm

I have a Busa engine you can put in there and then you can really wing your dingy. [b]From:[/b] klr6501995 [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Fri, January 15, 2010 1:14:11 PM [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: NKLR - home made boats ?   Thanks, The only plan is to seal the hole , add a large trolling type motor. Just want a free small boat that is maybe under-powered. I know not a thing about boats. But look foward to this summer getting on the water. May end up buying a kayak.
--- In DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, "spike55_bmw" wrote: > > Vansee: > It isn't as easy as it might seem since it is a jet pump. My brother and I (mostly him) installed a bastardized motorcycle / Berkley jet pump in a old jon boat and the first issue that arose was air - entrainment. At speed, the flat bottom boat allowed too much air to mix into the pump's water supply causing over-revs and power spurts. He fashioned hollowed out wooden keel that improved the situation but not completely. You need a clean supply of water - no air. > > The another issue was proper water cooling. This shouldn't be an issue with a 'purpose-built' unit that you have as long as you have a good water supply. > > The last issue was noise: engine noise and exhaust noise. > > If you address all of those issues, you'll have something. > > Don R100, A6F >

RobertB

crotona midnight run, yonkers, ny feb 27, 2010

Post by RobertB » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:05 pm

All, This will be my 32 year doing the Midnight Run. The KLR is the perfect tool for the job. Regards, Bob B 92nd Annual Crotona Midnight Run Saturday, February 27, 2010 "Wusie Men need not apply" Start & Finish: Nathan's / Kohl Parking Lot Central Ave (Rte 100), Yonkers, NY - Overnight Parking Available Sign-in: 10:30pm Key Time: 12:00 Midnight Do you have the right stuff?? This is the longest running motorcycle event in the USA. This is not a race, but a timed event with the maximum schedule of 30 mph (www.ramapomc.org for more information on timed events) Total distance will be 120 miles with a mid point lay-over to refresh yourself and socialize with fellow contestants. Trophies will be awarded to both expert and novice riders. There will also be a team trophy for AMA clubs with 3 entries. All finishers will receive a coveted Crotona Midnight Run Medallion. Motorcycles must have legal mufflers. Computers & GPS's are not permitted. You don't have to be a superman to ride this event. This is a AMA District 34 point event. Entry Fee - $20 For information: 201-767-3594 Dick Roberts Hot Line for information 914-422-1806

mark ward

nklr - home made boats ?

Post by mark ward » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Under powered? you say you have never had a boat, You may be suprised how well a "trolling motor works. I have a 16ft fiberglass (heavy) trihull, and my 28lb. thrust causes a little wake. If you go on craigs list there is a decent chance you will find a FREE or very cheap 70's boat with bad or NO motor. toss a trolling motor on it and go. BUT you want a DEEPcell battery, "Interstate" battery offten has blemishs for 1/3rd - 1/4 of new. $25. ?? YET BETTER then brand new, off brands.  good luck [b]From:[/b] klr6501995 [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Fri, January 15, 2010 1:14:11 PM [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: NKLR - home made boats ?   Thanks, The only plan is to seal the hole , add a large trolling type motor. Just want a free small boat that is maybe under-powered. I know not a thing about boats. But look foward to this summer getting on the water. May end up buying a kayak.
--- In DSN_KLR650%40yahoogroups.com, "spike55_bmw" wrote: > > Vansee: > It isn't as easy as it might seem since it is a jet pump. My brother and I (mostly him) installed a bastardized motorcycle / Berkley jet pump in a old jon boat and the first issue that arose was air - entrainment. At speed, the flat bottom boat allowed too much air to mix into the pump's water supply causing over-revs and power spurts. He fashioned hollowed out wooden keel that improved the situation but not completely. You need a clean supply of water - no air. > > The another issue was proper water cooling. This shouldn't be an issue with a 'purpose-built' unit that you have as long as you have a good water supply. > > The last issue was noise: engine noise and exhaust noise. > > If you address all of those issues, you'll have something. > > Don R100, A6F >

Tengai Mark Van Horn

nklr - home made boats ?

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm

This sounds like some sort of troll, or you gotta be high or something... Just toss the scrap heap and buy a used canoe, kayak, rowboat, or sunfish for $100-300. In the end you'll have way less money and time wrapped up versus trying to convert a JetSki hull. Mark At 5:43 PM +0000 1/14/10, klr6501995 wrote:
>Hello, >in the spirit of self sufficient living. > >I was recently given a non-functional yamaha 95 waverrunner. 760cc. > >After makeing a few dollars from the engine, ignition I have to dispose of the >fiberglass hull. > >As I look and ponder how to use the curbside trash pickup, it came >across to me >I can use the lower hull for my first ever boat! > >Anybody here have a link or two that could assit me in converting a >jetski into >some sort of usable small "dingy" ? > >I've never been good at fishing or interested. Always wanted a boat of some >sorts. Not to afraid to challenge the boats limits as I'm a good swimmer and >know my limits, or at least willing to test those limits. In a pond >at the very >least.I like eating fish more than beef these days. > >Anyone have a link with advice on how to use a lower hull from a jetski as a >small row-boat or small outboard-sail boat ? > >Regards, >vansee