starter trip

DSN_KLR650
Jim & Shannon Morehead

gas mileage

Post by Jim & Shannon Morehead » Sun Jun 04, 2000 8:43 pm

I averaged about 48mpg on Oklahoma gas before the recent pipe and jet kit. Haven't checked it since the mods but I will post what I get. Jim

Chris Krok

gas mileage

Post by Chris Krok » Mon Jun 05, 2000 10:57 am

None of you are going to believe me, but: When I rode from Denver to LA, I had a Supertrapp, but the engine was stock otherwise. I was running Dunlop Trailmaxes, at a little higher than listed pressure on the highway. Keeping the bike around 65 mph, I got nearly 65 mpg on the highway. Only way it could be wrong is if the odo is off. In CA, I typically got 50, and it's dropped a little since I put the jet kit in and opened the airbox a bit. Probably down to 45. But there you have it. Yeah, I think the oxygenated gas in CA kills your mileage. My friend in Oregon has the same problem. If you put oxygen in the gas, rather than take it all from the air, that's less energy content. Chris -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok Project Engineer, Adaptive Wall Wind Tunnel Graduate Aeronautical Laboratories, California Institute of Technology MS 205-45 Phone: 626.395.4794 Pasadena, CA 91125 Fax: 626.449.2677

Chris Krok

gas mileage

Post by Chris Krok » Mon Jun 05, 2000 11:36 am

> > That sounds like a crock to me Chris. Har har har.
Gee, I've never heard THAT one before! :)
> > Seriously though, how do you figure that oxygen in the fuel is any different > than oxygen from the air?
I'm thinking in terms of the mass that enters the engine. In the carb, a given flow of fuel comes in the fuel side for a given amount of air coming in the air side. If there is oxygen in the fuel, it is taking up mass in the fuel circuit that could be taken up by more fuel instead. Thus, the engine is burning leaner, and you aren't packing as much energy into the cylinder as you could. In other words, the carb doesn't know that oxygen is coming in through the fuel circuit, so it keeps pumping in the same amount of air. Does that make any sense? Parts for the wind tunnel arrive tomorrow, so I have to get things ready, and my posts aren't as well-versed as I'd like them to be! Granted, I'd think that this would give you better gas mileage, since you are running leaner. But, you have to open the throttle more to get the same amount of power as you would otherwise, so you end up burning more fuel overall. Chris -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok Project Engineer, Adaptive Wall Wind Tunnel Graduate Aeronautical Laboratories, California Institute of Technology MS 205-45 Phone: 626.395.4794 Pasadena, CA 91125 Fax: 626.449.2677

Benjamin Lee

gas mileage

Post by Benjamin Lee » Mon Jun 05, 2000 3:32 pm

Is the MTBE that reduce fuel economy and not oxygenation. MTBE takes up volume and probably have less energy content. MTBE is being phased out because it poisons the environment it was meant to protect. Corrupt politicians and fanatic environmentalist is a deadly combination. Ben
> From: "Jim & Shannon Morehead" >Subject: Re: gas mileage > >That sounds like a crock to me Chris. Har har har. > >Seriously though, how do you figure that oxygen in the fuel is any >different >than oxygen from the air? Oxygen is oxygen when I balance combustion >equations. Do you mean the oxygen in gasoline is bound to some other >substance and must be broken out before entering the combustion process? > >Jim >
________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

Darrel & Deanna

gas mileage

Post by Darrel & Deanna » Mon Aug 28, 2000 11:51 am

My A12 used to get right at 230 miles per tank B4 going to reserve. Of late though, I get close to 250. Riding style is the same. I'm thinking that California is starting to phase out the the MPG robbing MTBE. Any thoughts? Darrel

bostonmitch@yahoo.com

gas mileage

Post by bostonmitch@yahoo.com » Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:28 pm

I have a 98 with the ids2 quiet series. I'm only getting about 170 miles before I have to switch to reserve and start praying for a gas station. Does any one know if this is normal? mitch, san bernardino

guymanbro@excite.com

gas mileage

Post by guymanbro@excite.com » Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:11 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., bostonmitch@y... wrote:
> I have a 98 with the ids2 quiet series. I'm only getting about 170 > miles before I have to switch to reserve and start praying for a > gas station. Does any one know if this is normal? > > mitch,
Mitch, I'm hittin' reserve around 170 also. I've got a 'trapp EAR series with 6 disks. The exhaust alone shouldn't affect your mileage that greatly I don't think. My mileage is also due to the fact that I've got the idle mixture screw set to 3 turns out. Did you change yours or is it stock? dat brooklyn bum

leedodd@excite.com

gas mileage

Post by leedodd@excite.com » Fri Mar 09, 2001 7:30 am

Wow, 170 to resurve, my A13 (stock) hits resurve at 270 miles, and thats heavy on the throttle , does the aftermarket exhaust drop it that much ???

TLrydr@aol.com

gas mileage

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Fri Mar 09, 2001 9:15 am

In a message dated 3/9/01 8:31:57 AM EST, leedodd@... writes: >>
Thats about right, My Y2K with 8,000 miles K&N Dyno jet kit 150 main, coustom made pipe gets about 170 to 190 before going on resurve, I ran out of gas at 140 miles WFO and pushing a 30 to 40 MPH head wind, I ended up pushing about 10 miles. Mike