nklr wow a must watch video!!! nklr

DSN_KLR650
Pople, Michael (JUS)

oil level

Post by Pople, Michael (JUS) » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:51 am

I've put about 6000km (3750miles) on my '02 since my last oil change. I just noticed the oil gauge isn't showing any oil at all which one presumes means I'm down quite a bit. I haven't seen any sign of leakage so did I burn it? Most of those 6000 km were highway with an average speed of 110km/h (70mph). No other problems with the bike so is this normal or what? (Yes, I realize I should be looking at the oil gauge more often). Thoughts? Mike

Devon Jarvis

oil level

Post by Devon Jarvis » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:16 pm

"Pople, Michael (JUS)" wrote: I
> just noticed the oil gauge isn't showing any oil at all which one presumes > means I'm down quite a bit. I haven't seen any sign of leakage so did I > burn it?
It's not uncommon for KLRs to burn oil at high revs. I'm not sure why, but my A15 certainly does this. 65-70mph highway will do it, but woods and trail riding doesn't. BTW no oil on the glass is down a LOT. If the oil gets to the low mark on my KLR the balancer chain gets noisy. It's a good idea, every morning before you start it, just grab the right handgrip and pull the bike level to see if there's oil in it. Devon -- "It's a troublesome world, all the people who are in it, are troubled with troubles almost every minute" Dr. Seuss

zrod73026

oil level

Post by zrod73026 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:46 pm

I'm with Devon, oil should be above the site glass. Stick your pinky in the pipe and see what you come out with. My 03 gives me a little black but also gives me considerable pleasure when I mount her. (why did I name her HOSS then, HMMM) Every one has issues I guess!
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jarvis wrote: > > > "Pople, Michael (JUS)" wrote: > I > > just noticed the oil gauge isn't showing any oil at all which one presumes > > means I'm down quite a bit. I haven't seen any sign of leakage so did I > > burn it? > > It's not uncommon for KLRs to burn oil at high revs. I'm not > sure why, but my A15 certainly does this. 65-70mph highway > will do it, but woods and trail riding doesn't. > > BTW no oil on the glass is down a LOT. If the oil gets to > the low mark on my KLR the balancer chain gets noisy. > > It's a good idea, every morning before you start it, just > grab the right handgrip and pull the bike level to see if > there's oil in it. > > Devon > > -- > "It's a troublesome world, > all the people who are in it, > are troubled with troubles > almost every minute" > > Dr. Seuss

kcuf_oohay_666

oil level

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:26 pm

Did you use 20w-50 oil? I found that any of the lighter oils tend to get used up faster. I keep my oil above the site glass. My A15 eats alot of oil if I'm doing canyon runs - on and off the throttle alot. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Pople, Michael (JUS)" wrote:
> I've put about 6000km (3750miles) on my '02 since my last oil
change. I
> just noticed the oil gauge isn't showing any oil at all which one
presumes
> means I'm down quite a bit. I haven't seen any sign of leakage so
did I
> burn it? Most of those 6000 km were highway with an average speed
of
> 110km/h (70mph). No other problems with the bike so is this normal
or what?
> (Yes, I realize I should be looking at the oil gauge more often).
Thoughts?
> > Mike

Chris Krok

oil level

Post by Chris Krok » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:31 pm

> From: Zachariah Mully > Subject: Re: oil leak > Actually (s)he might not have overfilled it. If you go by the service > manual (as well as the capacity stamped on the side of the engine cases) > the engine takes 2.5L of oil when the filter is changed. When you add > 2.5L of oil, the level *is* above the sight glass.
Just out of curiosity, why does everyone assume that the sight glass is wrong, and not the 2.5l figure? What if the correct oil level in the case was determined "graphically?" i.e., the engine drawings are examined to determine the minimum level of oil required for level and max ascent/decent angles, and the volume back-calculated from there? Just throwing it out there... Krokko

Devon Jarvis

oil level

Post by Devon Jarvis » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:37 pm

Chris Krok wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why does everyone assume that the sight glass is > wrong, and not the 2.5l figure? What if the correct oil level in the > case was determined "graphically?" i.e., the engine drawings are > examined to determine the minimum level of oil required for level and > max ascent/decent angles, and the volume back-calculated from there? > > Just throwing it out there... >
Because it's stupid and sloppy on KHI's part that the stamp on the case and the sight glass disagree. Too much oil is (most times) less catasatrophic than not enough, that's why I go with the measured amount not the sight glass. Motor runs fine either way. Devon -- "It's a troublesome world, all the people who are in it, are troubled with troubles almost every minute" Dr. Seuss

Tumu Rock

oil level

Post by Tumu Rock » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:37 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Chris Krok wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, why does everyone assume that the sight
glass is wrong, and not the 2.5l figure?
> > Krokko underwear.
Can't speak for everybody but the 2.5l indication is repeated more than once and thereis only one sight glass. Mod mentality rules ya know? Woof! dat brookyn bum

Don Kime

oil level

Post by Don Kime » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:50 am

At 03:13 PM 12/15/03 +0000, wannabsmooth1 wrote:
>The lever is a (or should be) drop in part for your bike. Since the >bearing is shorter, be sure to keep your oil level up, as it's only >splash lubricated.
Mike (and anyone else) this reminded me. I changed oil and filter in an A16. The manual I think says 2.6 quarts w/ oil & filter. I got in about 2.25-2.3 quart, and I am in the middle of the bulls eye. Should I fill to 2.6 or stop where I'm at? TIA & Happy holidays & Ride safe, Don Kime - VFR750F, GL1500SE, GL1100, KLR 650 OH - M/C Safety Instructor/RiderCoach dkime@... http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/

Chris

oil level

Post by Chris » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:56 am

After draining the bike on a lift and tilting it far over to both sides several times (yielding a lot more oil to drain btw) I put in 2.5 and it's over the sight glass by a bit. I would guess by the rate it was filling that in a relative term it's 1/4" above the top of the sight glass. This isn't much of a linear measurement, just a guestimate from the rate it was filling as I put the 2.5l in. It is approximately the same level the bike had when I bought it too. No problems at all so far.
> At 03:13 PM 12/15/03 +0000, wannabsmooth1 wrote: >>The lever is a (or should be) drop in part for your bike. Since the >>bearing is shorter, be sure to keep your oil level up, as it's only >>splash lubricated. > > Mike (and anyone else) this reminded me. I changed oil and filter in > an > A16. The manual I think says 2.6 quarts w/ oil & filter. I got in > about > 2.25-2.3 quart, and I am in the middle of the bulls eye. Should I > fill to > 2.6 or stop where I'm at? > > TIA & > Happy holidays & > Ride safe, > Don Kime - VFR750F, GL1500SE, GL1100, KLR 650 > OH - M/C Safety Instructor/RiderCoach dkime@... > http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/ > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

wannabsmooth1

oil level

Post by wannabsmooth1 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:04 pm

Don, I keep mine at the top, or just above the top of the window. Since most KLR's use a little oil, I add the factory amount, and that's where it seems to end up. Mike Eagle Mfg & Eng San Diego, Ca.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Don Kime wrote: > At 03:13 PM 12/15/03 +0000, wannabsmooth1 wrote: > >The lever is a (or should be) drop in part for your bike. Since the > >bearing is shorter, be sure to keep your oil level up, as it's only > >splash lubricated. > > Mike (and anyone else) this reminded me. I changed oil and filter in an > A16. The manual I think says 2.6 quarts w/ oil & filter. I got in about > 2.25-2.3 quart, and I am in the middle of the bulls eye. Should I fill to > 2.6 or stop where I'm at? > > TIA & > Happy holidays & > Ride safe, > Don Kime - VFR750F, GL1500SE, GL1100, KLR 650 > OH - M/C Safety Instructor/RiderCoach dkime@c... > http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/