more on monday's valve project. can you use the kaw. 57001-113

DSN_KLR650
Larry Tranel

corbin low riding seat

Post by Larry Tranel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:16 pm

Does anyone have and really like the Corbin low-riding seat or know of other seats to lower the height of the KLR 650? Larry [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Harry Seifert

more on monday's valve project. can you use the kaw. 57001-113

Post by Harry Seifert » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Eddie, The valve train is exactly the same as the venerable Z-1. The tool I wrote of was used with the Z-1 so the cams didn't have to be messed with to change shims. Buddy
> [Original Message] > From: transalp 1 > To: KLR650 list DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> > Date: 6/8/2009 9:27:32 PM > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] more on Monday's valve project. can you use the
Kaw. 57001-113 tool?
> > More on today's bike work: > > The pry-down-the-bucket-with-a-tool{pn#} lift-out-the-shim > method? Very likely cannot be done on a KLR. The shims are big enough
that it'd be
> a challenge if not an impossibility to get them out w/o loosening up the
cams. The tool
> has no room to fit in there, anyway. That's the bad news. > > The good news? Taking the cam chain tensioner out was really simple, as
was
> getting the cam caps off so they can be lifted up gently enough to
extract the shims.
> But, it's really important to cram some small lint-free rags or paper > towels in/around the empty areas on the left side > of the head by the cam chain. The only cam cap locating dowels to come > loose today were the ones on the left side caps, the ones with the oil
tube between them. I
> had a magnet beside the caps as lifted each off and was super cautious
to make sure one
> didn't fall into the engine. That would've been a major headache! > > eddie > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650Yahoo! Groups Links > > >

Jud Jones

corbin low riding seat

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:44 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Larry Tranel wrote:
> > Does anyone have and really like the Corbin low-riding seat or know of other seats to lower the height of the KLR 650? > Larry >
As I understand it, Corbin makes two lower seats for the KLR, the traditional dished seat, and the Dual Platform seat, designed for the '08 and later. I have the dish, and like it, but not as well as I like the flat Corbin, which is too tall for me. Still, the dished seat is miles better than the stock seat, but not nearly as good as the Corbin seat for the DR650, which is a good reason to pick the DR over the KLR, but probably not a satisfactory answer to your question.