nklr torque wrench use for loosening fasteners

DSN_KLR650
Kevin Powers

fork oil suggestions

Post by Kevin Powers » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:30 am

I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of fork oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so figure a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Walter Mitty

fork oil suggestions

Post by Walter Mitty » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:17 am

I use Mobil 1 ATF because it is cheap and locally available. It works well. Raising the oil level from 190 to 170 mm will also make it better.
--- On Tue, 4/28/09, Kevin Powers wrote: From: Kevin Powers Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions To: "DSN" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 5:29 AM I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of fork oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so figure a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Rick McCauley

fork oil suggestions

Post by Rick McCauley » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:12 am

Isn't there also conflict of how the fork oil is measured. 170 vs 190mm. Springs in or out. forks extended vs compressed? Rick (drowning in Illinois) A17
--- On Tue, 4/28/09, Walter Mitty wrote: From: Walter Mitty Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions To: "DSN" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>, "Kevin Powers" Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 9:17 AM I use Mobil 1 ATF because it is cheap and locally available. It works well. Raising the oil level from 190 to 170 mm will also make it better. --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Kevin Powers wrote: From: Kevin Powers Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions To: "DSN" Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 5:29 AM I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of fork oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so figure a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kevin Powers

fork oil suggestions

Post by Kevin Powers » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:32 am

Aw gee Rick, don't go confusing me now! ;^)
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Rick McCauley wrote: > > > Isn't there also conflict of how the fork oil is measured. 170 vs 190mm. > Springs in or out. forks extended vs compressed? > > Rick (drowning in Illinois) > A17 > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Walter Mitty > > wrote: > > From: Walter Mitty > > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > To: "DSN" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >, > "Kevin Powers" > > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 9:17 AM > > > I use Mobil 1 ATF because it is cheap and locally available. It works well. > Raising the oil level from 190 to 170 mm will also make it better. > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Kevin Powers wrote: > > From: Kevin Powers > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > To: "DSN" > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 5:29 AM > > I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the > forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of fork > oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than > oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so figure > a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for > two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. > > All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the > benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? > > -- > Kevin Powers > White Bear Lake, MN > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RM

fork oil suggestions

Post by RM » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:23 am

Another vote for Dexron ATF. The older Dexron III heavier than the new Dexron VI formulation, which is too thin, IMHO. RM On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:29 -0500, "Kevin Powers" wrote:
> I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the > forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of > fork > oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than > oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so > figure > a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for > two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. > > All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the > benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? > > -- > Kevin Powers > White Bear Lake, MN > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650Yahoo! Groups Links > > >

Fred Hink

fork oil suggestions

Post by Fred Hink » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:32 am

Fork oil level is always measured with the springs out and the forks compressed. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com http://s1.zetaboards.com/arrowhead
----- Original Message ----- From: Kevin Powers Cc: dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:31 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions Aw gee Rick, don't go confusing me now! ;^) On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Rick McCauley wrote: > > > Isn't there also conflict of how the fork oil is measured. 170 vs 190mm. > Springs in or out. forks extended vs compressed? > > Rick (drowning in Illinois) > A17 > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Walter Mitty > > wrote: > > From: Walter Mitty > > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > To: "DSN" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >, > "Kevin Powers" > > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 9:17 AM > > > I use Mobil 1 ATF because it is cheap and locally available. It works well. > Raising the oil level from 190 to 170 mm will also make it better. > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Kevin Powers wrote: > > From: Kevin Powers > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > To: "DSN" > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 5:29 AM > > I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the > forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of fork > oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than > oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so figure > a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for > two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. > > All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the > benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? > > -- > Kevin Powers > White Bear Lake, MN > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Rick McCauley

fork oil suggestions

Post by Rick McCauley » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:40 am

Sorry. I had to bring it up. I drained my forks, and now i am not sure of the proper proceedure for refilling them. The book says one thing, but I have heard there were erroros in the book. Sooo, whoever knows, with out a doubt, the proper procedure for filling forks, please let Kevin and I in on the secret. Rick (drowning in Illinois) A17
--- On Tue, 4/28/09, Kevin Powers wrote: From: Kevin Powers Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions To: Cc: dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 10:31 AM Aw gee Rick, don't go confusing me now! ;^) On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Rick McCauley wrote: > > > Isn't there also conflict of how the fork oil is measured. 170 vs 190mm. > Springs in or out. forks extended vs compressed? > > Rick (drowning in Illinois) > A17 > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Walter Mitty > > wrote: > > From: Walter Mitty > > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > To: "DSN" >, > "Kevin Powers" > > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 9:17 AM > > > I use Mobil 1 ATF because it is cheap and locally available. It works well. > Raising the oil level from 190 to 170 mm will also make it better. > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Kevin Powers wrote: > > From: Kevin Powers > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > To: "DSN" > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 5:29 AM > > I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the > forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of fork > oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than > oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so figure > a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for > two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. > > All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the > benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? > > -- > Kevin Powers > White Bear Lake, MN > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kusstj

fork oil suggestions

Post by kusstj » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:41 pm

This is another good topic. I am one who played with fork oil weights before I decided to go to progressive springs. Both serve to stiffen the fork compression substantially. I recommend doing both if you really want to make the machine more off road worthy, or in other words - "less scarey offroad". If I recall I went to my local biker shop (kawi - suz) shop and perused their fork oil on the shelf. they had a spectrum of fork oils available. If I recall the stock wt was 10w. they also had like 7.5w and 15w and maybe 20w for fork oils. I grabbed the heaviest (may have only been 15w.) many years ago. For reference I have always claimed to be - umm.. well fed. appr 237.6 lbs The stock setup likes to dive upon slowing down for a corner. The heavier weight really helped this. The progressive springs made an even bigger difference, but I was happily surprized that heavier oil was as noticeable as it was. Again, I like the idea of making the big bike woods worthy, and setting up the forks to be stiffer was probably as important as good knobbies and also does not really affect it negatively on the road - other than comfort - and as far as that goes - if I was worried about comfort I would not be driving a KLR650. good luck todd A16
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCauley wrote: > > Sorry. I had to bring it up. I drained my forks, and now i am not sure of the proper proceedure for refilling them. The book says one thing, but I have heard there were erroros in the book. > Sooo, whoever knows, with out a doubt, the proper procedure for filling forks, please let Kevin and I in on the secret. > > Rick (drowning in Illinois) > A17 > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Kevin Powers wrote: > > From: Kevin Powers > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > To: > Cc: dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 10:31 AM > > > > > > > > > Aw gee Rick, don't go confusing me now! ;^) > > On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Rick McCauley wrote: > > > > > > > Isn't there also conflict of how the fork oil is measured. 170 vs 190mm. > > Springs in or out. forks extended vs compressed? > > > > Rick (drowning in Illinois) > > A17 > > > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Walter Mitty > > > wrote: > > > > From: Walter Mitty > > > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > > To: "DSN" >, > > "Kevin Powers" > > > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 9:17 AM > > > > > > I use Mobil 1 ATF because it is cheap and locally available. It works well. > > Raising the oil level from 190 to 170 mm will also make it better. > > > > --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Kevin Powers wrote: > > > > From: Kevin Powers > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Oil Suggestions > > To: "DSN" > > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 5:29 AM > > > > I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the > > forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of fork > > oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than > > oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so figure > > a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for > > two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. > > > > All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the > > benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? > > > > -- > > Kevin Powers > > White Bear Lake, MN > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > -- > Kevin Powers > White Bear Lake, MN > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

fasteddiecopeman

fork oil suggestions

Post by fasteddiecopeman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Kevin, I've used and recommended ATF for years. Advantages? Cheap, and gives better fork action than "whatever came in the forks". Ed
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Powers wrote: > > I'll be replacing my fork seals soon and will be changing the oil in the > forks at that time. Reading through various threads on the subject of fork > oil I see a variety of weights mentioned along with ATF fluid rather than > oil. I'm a 200lber and like to use the KLR for trips and camping so figure > a 250lb load dressed and packed. I would like the handling optimized for > two tracks. I have progressive springs in the forks. > > All that considered, what weight fork oil would work? Also, what are the > benefits, if any, of using Mobil 1 syn ATF instead of fork oil? > > -- > Kevin Powers > White Bear Lake, MN > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

fasteddiecopeman

fork oil suggestions

Post by fasteddiecopeman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:09 pm

What I do: collect the oil in a container as I remove it, mark the level then drain the container. Fill to the mark and pour it back into the fork. Ed
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCauley wrote: > > Sorry. I had to bring it up. I drained my forks, and now i am not sure of the proper proceedure for refilling them. The book says one thing, but I have heard there were erroros in the book. > Sooo, whoever knows, with out a doubt, the proper procedure for filling forks, please let Kevin and I in on the secret. > > Rick (drowning in Illinois) > A17 >