doohickey springs

DSN_KLR650
Luc Legrain

klr 650 ----> spring has sprung ( doo spring that is ..)<-------

Post by Luc Legrain » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:38 am

Time for me to open up the Can, Doo side, again ,I ordered some springs from Fred but it seems he is in very short supply of the different sizes ,either he cannot keep them in stock OR everybody is going for the Torsion spring from Eagle Mike. Is the torsion spring REALLY better than the regular coiled springs? Seems to me that pulling on something would be better than twisting? Let me know what you think, Fred is anxiously waiting for my money ( he is going to Tristan Da Cuhna on a pilgrimage ) Thanks Y'all

John Biccum

Post by John Biccum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Go for the torsion spring. The problem with the stock design is that it runs out of "throw". You can futz around with different spring lengths to find the optimal length for your bike but you still will only have a relatively narrow range of adjustment. The torsion design doesn't run out of throw as its pull is radial rather than from one fixed angle. Another point for the torsion spring is that it lacks the two J-shaped ends that have been the most common point of failure in the stock design. This new spring is yet another example of the great community behind the KLR. Someone saw a common problem, engineered a great fix for this problem then made that fix available at a very reasonable price. That type of "community capitalism" should be encouraged, supported and rewarded. Buy one, I did! Jeff Saline's great torsion spring pics are here: http://johnbiccum.smugmug.com/gallery/2938841_wJjyu#158603165_vYwCq From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Luc Legrain Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 08:38 To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] KLR 650 ----> Spring has Sprung ( Doo Spring that is ..)

Luc Legrain

Post by Luc Legrain » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:50 pm

John, Thanks for the feed back, I posted a while ago something about the ThermoBob I had a few " bad " replies, If I would have been smart enough to use ( your quote) "Community Capitalism " I would have gotten my point across, I agree 100% with you . ** Fred, my money is leaving my wallet now.. Get your tickets for Tristan Da Cuhna .**
--- On Sat, 4/11/09, John Biccum wrote: From: John Biccum Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] KLR 650 ----> Spring has Sprung ( Doo Spring that is ..), "'List KLR'" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: Saturday, April 11, 2009, 11:58 AM Go for the torsion spring. The problem with the stock design is that it runs out of throw . You can futz around with different spring lengths to find the optimal length for your bike but you still will only have a relatively narrow range of adjustment. The torsion design doesn t run out of throw as its pull is radial rather than from one fixed angle. Another point for the torsion spring is that it lacks the two J-shaped ends that have been the most common point of failure in the stock design. This new spring is yet another example of the great community behind the KLR. Someone saw a common problem, engineered a great fix for this problem then made that fix available at a very reasonable price. That type of community capitalism should be encouraged, supported and rewarded. Buy one, I did! Jeff Saline s great torsion spring pics are here: http://johnbiccum.smugmug.com/gallery/2938841_wJjyu#158603165_vYwCq From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Luc Legrain Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 08:38 To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] KLR 650 ----> Spring has Sprung ( Doo Spring that is ..)

Jeff Saline

Post by Jeff Saline » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:33 pm

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:38:12 -0700 (PDT) Luc Legrain writes:
> > Time for me to open up the Can, Doo side, again ,I ordered some > springs from Fred but it seems he is in very short supply of the > different sizes ,either he cannot keep them in stock OR everybody is > going for the Torsion spring from Eagle Mike. > Is the torsion spring REALLY better than the regular coiled springs? > Seems to me that pulling on something would be better than twisting? > Let me know what you think, Fred is anxiously waiting for my money ( > he is going to Tristan Da Cuhna on a pilgrimage ) > Thanks Y'all
<><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><> Luc, I think the torsion spring is much better than the coiled extension spring. I would already have one in my bike except I replaced the longer extension spring initially installed with the EagleMike doohickey with the shorter spring after 16,000 smiles of use. About 3-4 months later the torsion spring became available. I've had a torsion spring for my bike on the shelf for over two years just itching to get installed. I plan on installing it this spring when I get to work on my KLR. I didn't want to open the engine just to install the torsion spring since I have full confidence in the EagleMike extension spring for about 15,000-20,000 smiles between visual and measurable tension checks. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT ____________________________________________________________ Click here for financial aid options. Quick and Easy. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTOdR8bqO7RrdAiPJek8mYjyzmb0FihKWCo1XDRZ5vumwIBePXciPm/

zrislois2klr@yahoo.com

Post by zrislois2klr@yahoo.com » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:26 pm

OK.. Sure enough, Mr.Saline had to put his grain of salt ( no puns intended)in my post, and I thank him for that,since he is one the " KLR experts" as I recall a post a couple of month ago titled " KLR Experts" ( that counted me out ..) .This being said, the only way I know to check the tension on the spring doo, is by the noise,new doo, and spring, at so many miles, oil change, loosen up doo nut, rock back and forth, tighten, GEE .. noisy .. gotta change spring. How do you do visuals and measurable checks on the tension WITHOUT taking the thing apart ?
--- On Sat, 4/11/09, Jeff Saline wrote: > From: Jeff Saline > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] KLR 650 ----> Spring has Sprung ( Doo Spring that is ..) To: zrislois2klr@... > Cc: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Date: Saturday, April 11, 2009, 1:26 PM > On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:38:12 -0700 > (PDT) Luc Legrain > > writes: > > > > Time for me to open up the Can, Doo side, again > ,I ordered some > > springs from Fred but it seems he is in very short > supply of the > > different sizes ,either he cannot keep them in stock > OR everybody is > > going for the Torsion spring from Eagle Mike. > > Is the torsion spring REALLY better than the regular > coiled springs? > > Seems to me that pulling on something would be better > than twisting? > > Let me know what you think, Fred is anxiously waiting > for my money ( > > he is going to Tristan Da Cuhna on a pilgrimage ) > > Thanks Y'all > <><><><><><><><> > <><><><><><><><> > > Luc, > > I think the torsion spring is much better than the coiled > extension > spring. I would already have one in my bike except I > replaced the longer > extension spring initially installed with the EagleMike > doohickey with > the shorter spring after 16,000 smiles of use. About > 3-4 months later > the torsion spring became available. > > I've had a torsion spring for my bike on the shelf for over > two years > just itching to get installed. I plan on installing > it this spring when > I get to work on my KLR. I didn't want to open the > engine just to > install the torsion spring since I have full confidence in > the EagleMike > extension spring for about 15,000-20,000 smiles between > visual and > measurable tension checks. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT > ____________________________________________________________ > Can't afford college? Click here for information on > receiving financial aid. > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTOdSACz6AlIEKpY9waEb07z8oSp0Xew4J0AeuPPaYhTNV1866FDyg/ >

nakedwaterskier

doohickey springs

Post by nakedwaterskier » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:45 pm

Torsion spring is obviously better. But, I did my doohickey in 04 on my 04. I recently took the cover off and checked it at around 25000 miles. It was working fine. Helps probably that I used the shorter spring. I estimate that I should get 50,000 miles on the conventional doohickey upgrade. Being that my engine already smokes a little, I think rings will become a problem before the doohickey will. At 50,000 miles, I will retire my KLR anyways. Jeffrey